Mancini Interview BBC

Status
Not open for further replies.
greasedupdeafguy said:
nijinsky's fetlocks said:
hallstreetblue said:
I respect the man and thank him for bringing in such players as the ones he mentioned. However, fact is, these very same players are playing world class football under a totally different manager. Van Persie was the reason for us losing our title? Does he really believe that? Do you? Wish him all the best, but that doesn't wash with me :)

Then maybe you don't do common sense.
Because Van Persie scored 31 goals for the rags, and without those goals they would have finished mid-table rather than champions.
Well they didn't have him in the 2011 - 2012 season yet they finished level on points with us

Is that seriously supposed to be an argument that him playing for the rags rather than us didn't cost us the title?<br /><br />-- Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:52 pm --<br /><br />
johnmc said:
hallstreetblue said:
I respect the man and thank him for bringing in such players as the ones he mentioned. However, fact is, these very same players are playing world class football under a totally different manager. Van Persie was the reason for us losing our title? Does he really believe that? Do you? Wish him all the best, but that doesn't wash with me :)

Because Van Persie scored 31 goals for the rags, and without those goals they would have finished mid-table rather than champions.

Would they have played with 10 men?

No, obviously not, but neither would they have found such a prolific goalscorer within their multitalented squad who could score that many.

greasedupdeafguy said:
Well they didn't have him in the 2011 - 2012 season yet they finished level on points with us

Is that seriously supposed to be an argument that him playing for the rags rather than us didn't cost us the title?
Rooney would have just played further up the pitch and scored more goals, they achieved the exact same points total without RVP than with him.
Don't see why Mancini is moaning about not getting van persie. He had four other twenty million plus strikers to pick from. Can't have every top player in the world.

hallstreetblue said:

Your making one big assumption and that is his replacement/replacements had he not arrived or the retained strikers would not have scored the goals necessary to change positions.

It's pure conjecture NF

I think RM was saying that had we had RVP which I think he was under the impression or told could / would be a possibility then we would have won the title last season.

What I am saying is its pure conjecture on RM 's part as we have no idea how RVP would have turned out at City in his first season.

You could say if Sergio hadn't scored in injury time we would have finished second the year before but so what he did and the rest is history.

greasedupdeafguy said:
greasedupdeafguy said:

Is that seriously supposed to be an argument that him playing for the rags rather than us didn't cost us the title?
Rooney would have just played further up the pitch and scored more goals, they achieved the exact same points total without RVP than with him.
Don't see why Mancini is moaning about not getting van persie. He had four other twenty million plus strikers to pick from. Can't have every top player in the world.

I think we will have to agree to disagree on this one mate.

greasedupdeafguy said:

I think we will have to agree to disagree on this one mate.
fair enough

greasedupdeafguy said:

Rooney scored 34 goals in 43 appearances across the season we won the title.

I think psychologically Mancini gave up the battle when he wasn't delivered Van Persie hence his premature resignation and then subsequent look of "I could give less of a fuck about Man City" throughout the 12/13 season.

mancity111 said:
hallstreetblue said:

Your making one big assumption and that is his replacement/replacements had he not arrived or the retained strikers would not have scored the goals necessary to change positions.

It's pure conjecture NF

I think RM was saying that had we had RVP which I think he was under the impression or told could / would be a possibility then we would have won the title last season.

What I am saying is its pure conjecture on RM 's part as we have no idea how RVP would have turned out at City in his first season.

You could say if Sergio hadn't scored in injury time we would have finished second the year before but so what he did and the rest is history.

Then if it's pure conjecture, Mancini is entitled to hold an opinion.
And given that he is a manager with a track record of winning trophies, I think I'll give his opinion a little more respect than that of some bloke on an internet forum.

hallstreetblue said:

People have very short memories. "These same players are playing world class football under a totally different manager." What the hell are you going on about? Don't be blinded by scoring lots of goals. Let's take a look at the points totals after 22 games in the last 3 seasons:

2011/2012 54 points
2012/2013 48 points
2013/2014 50 points

Last season was seen as an absolute disaster by many on here, and this season we are "world class." Despite the fact we only have 2 more points on the board at the same stage of the season! The season we won the title, we actually had 4 more points at this stage. But now we're world class! lol.

And please spare me the "stats don't mean anything" shite. When it comes to points on the board, that's the only stat that matters in football. More important than goals and goalscoring records, the amount of wins, and points is really all it boils down to.

Scoring 7 at home to Norwich doesn't excuse losing to Cardiff, Aston Villa and Sunderland.

We are really entertaining to watch this year, and I'm enjoying all the goals as much as anyone. But after 22 games in the season we won the title, I was utterly convinced we would win the league, I couldn't see how anyone could possibly stop us. We were solid as a rock at the back, dominant in midfield, and ruthless up front.

This season I can't say the same. Ruthless up front yes, but leaky at the back and vulnerable in midfield. It's between us and Chelsea, and if I had to pick now I'd possibly sway towards Chelsea because Mourinho is a proven winner and knows what it takes to win the title.

Mancini changed the history of this club, and for people to dismiss him now because we won a 9-0 on aggregate against an appalling West Ham, is very short sighted.

The Van Persie argument is rubbish. They ended up on exactly the same number of points as they did the season before. As in the same amount as we ended up on when we won the title. So whilst Van Persie scored so many and bailed them out of losing positions. We did not improve. That is the reason we didnt win the league last season. We had the same squad, the same core players but we did not improve. Rooney would arguably have played further forward and scored more for them.

Mancini publicly admitted he wanted Van Persie, he slated players in our squad and he allowed the rags to win the mental battle - indeed Van Persie scored the winner against us and Mancini gave the title up right there and then. The fact of the matter is we had enough in our squad to equal or better our previous total. We hadn't by any stretch of the imagination had a brilliant season in 2011/12 despite winning the league. That squad could have improved on 89points. The Van Persie argument is one that was used as a scape goat and some blues happily were spoon fed. I believe that the rags set a record last season for most number of different players to score in the league. It was a collective effort and mentality from them. Mancini's mentality last season was "beaten before we've even started".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.