Mancini Interview BBC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mancini is limited as a manager because he thinks new players are the only way of improving. He blames our failure in the transfer window as to why we didn't win the league last season. He says it is all down to Van Persie. People need to stop being so small minded and look at the facts. How many points did the Rags get in 2011/12? The same as us. How many did they get last season, exactly the same again. Now our squad did not deteriorate, it did not feature over the hill players and mark the end of an era. It was a side developing together that should have gone on and improved. But instead Roberto bemoaned the transfer policy, publicly admitted he wanted Van Persie and therefore gave the rags the upper hand mentally. We went backwards last season, that is the bottom line. Whether Van Persie scored more goals or not isn't the point. They ended up with the same points as we did when we won the league. We should have been on at least the same as that last season. Had we got 89points again and bemoaned the transfer policy for not helping us get 90 then i would agree. But we declined last season which is unacceptable considering the players we had.

Now let us look at Mancini's comments in regards to the rags. It seems that they need to spend a lot of money to improve things. Well, I am sorry but Ferguson took that same side, albeit without injuries, to top of the league. He was able to manage those players and win things with them. Suddenly there is a crisis. If Ferguson was still there the answer would be, we have had injuries and we need to strengthen in one or two places, but they would still be in the top 4 in my opinion because that is how good he was as manager. It summarises Mancini excellently. Buy buy buy. That is his answer to everything. Whilst Pellegrini has been able to spend money and our squad is improved, he has had to deal with injury and loss of form to our key players this season. Rather than bemoan that he has simply kept faith in existing players and results have not been compromised. Early blips were down to implementing his style of play on the squad. Mancini would be looking to spend more money this window. Pellegrini has faith in the players and will manage them and get them to improve collectively. That is the difference. Put Mancini at a club with very little resources and he will not make a difference to them.

I appreciate what he did for us a club, but he is not a manager that would have got us to the top and kept us there within financial restrictions.

BlueSiam said:
To those who say "winning is all that matters ....... even if it's 1-0 every game". There is a bigger picture going on.

Even if we didn't win 4, or 3 or 2 or even 1 trophy this Season, our Management are seeing the future. Global fans are looking to follow a 'dream team'....sorry... for want of a better expression. Guardiola's Barca have been the World's Dream Team for the last several years, which has led to a huge following around the globe and more importantly, earnings to match. Not one of Jose's teams have come close to really catching the world's imagination.

City are being set up as the next Dream Team. Under Pellegrini we are playing the type of Football that could make the Dream come true......... With respect to Mancini....this would not have been possible under his management.

Not so sure about that. Chelsea games in Asia tend to be more popular than Arsenal games, yet Arsenal are/have been a lot more attractive to watch. In Asia winning is more important than entertaining. It may be different outside Asia of course but there is a reason that some teams are better supported than others and I'd say it's more to do with success.

Hopefully with Pellegrini we might get both.

supercity88 said:
Mancini is limited as a manager because he thinks new players are the only way of improving. He blames our failure in the transfer window as to why we didn't win the league last season. He says it is all down to Van Persie. People need to stop being so small minded and look at the facts. How many points did the Rags get in 2011/12? The same as us. How many did they get last season, exactly the same again. Now our squad did not deteriorate, it did not feature over the hill players and mark the end of an era. It was a side developing together that should have gone on and improved. But instead Roberto bemoaned the transfer policy, publicly admitted he wanted Van Persie and therefore gave the rags the upper hand mentally. We went backwards last season, that is the bottom line. Whether Van Persie scored more goals or not isn't the point. They ended up with the same points as we did when we won the league. We should have been on at least the same as that last season. Had we got 89points again and bemoaned the transfer policy for not helping us get 90 then i would agree. But we declined last season which is unacceptable considering the players we had.

Now let us look at Mancini's comments in regards to the rags. It seems that they need to spend a lot of money to improve things. Well, I am sorry but Ferguson took that same side, albeit without injuries, to top of the league. He was able to manage those players and win things with them. Suddenly there is a crisis. If Ferguson was still there the answer would be, we have had injuries and we need to strengthen in one or two places, but they would still be in the top 4 in my opinion because that is how good he was as manager. It summarises Mancini excellently. Buy buy buy. That is his answer to everything. Whilst Pellegrini has been able to spend money and our squad is improved, he has had to deal with injury and loss of form to our key players this season. Rather than bemoan that he has simply kept faith in existing players and results have not been compromised. Early blips were down to implementing his style of play on the squad. Mancini would be looking to spend more money this window. Pellegrini has faith in the players and will manage them and get them to improve collectively. That is the difference. Put Mancini at a club with very little resources and he will not make a difference to them.

I appreciate what he did for us a club, but he is not a manager that would have got us to the top and kept us there within financial restrictions.

You're wasting your time posting to these deluded comedians, mate.

Save your posts for the football threads. Let them get on with it, sit back and laugh ;-)

"The jury's still out", remember...

In Mancini's final season with us a distinct pattern emerged where we used to get battered for the first twenty minutes when we gave the opposition every opportunity to take the lead, then we used to wake up and try to attack the opposition to recover from behind or take the the lead often without success, often leaving us wondering where the next goal was coming from until about twenty minutes from the end. Then this feeling used to come over us where we could see that we weren't going to score despite the fact that we seemed to be attacking relentlessly, and usually we were right. I remember lots of matches panning out in this fashion.
It just wasn't acceptable with the players that we had, because they had proved the season before that they could take teams apart if they were managed and set up in the right way.
Loved Mancini but his time had come and gone i'm afraid.

Didsbury Dave said:
supercity88 said:

You're wasting your time posting to these deluded comedians, mate.

Save your posts for the football threads. Let them get on with it, sit back and laugh ;-)

"The jury's still out", remember...

*Shrugs, sighs and walks away*

SWP's back said:
Shaelumstash said:
SWP's back said:
I'd rather we play like we do now than do a Jose and bore games to death.

People forget football is an entertainment business.

Nothing more "entertaining" than winning trophies. Football is a results business.

We were probably more exciting to watch under Keegan when we scored one hundred goals, than the season we won the FA Cup under Mancini. Which season was better though? I'll take the trophy.

We might be the great entertainers this year, scoring goals for fun, but if we don't win the league it will be a failure in comparison to 2011/12.

We could go on to score 110 league goals this year, have the critics and neutrals raving about us, but winning the league is far more important.
Not winning the league would not be a failure.

Not winning ANYTHING would be a failure.

Anyway, we are still in the hunt for 4. Something we have never been able to say at the start of Feb in the last couple of generations.

You seem to be suggesting that "being in the hunt" for trophies is more important than winning them!

I said not winning the league would be a failure in comparison to 2011/12, you are saying that's not true, as long as we win something.

Well personally I don't value the Rumbelow's Cup or whatever it's called these days as being as important as winning the league.

All the other managers can say City won the league because they bought Aguero .

Mancini excuse is unacceptable at all.

Fwiw my opinion is that Roberto Mancini was the best thing to happen to our club since the takeover. It's not been difficult to get behind Pellegrini from the outset as this club now knows what it is doing. God bless and grazie Roberto, its a shame it all went wrong in the end. Still love the guy and will do for a long time

I'll remember him forndly for what he did, but have moved on. Very, very happy with where we are now but the past is the past. Thats why the increasing amount of "20" jibes from desperate raggos (thats one of the things they are clinging to like a shipwrecked sailor to a piece of driftwood at this moment in time, bless em) mean fuck all to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.