Mancini on his team selection and The Carling Cup:

Soulboy said:
dannybcity said:
He's entitled to an opinion regardless of wether he went or not. I didn't go tonight because I couldn't afford it, but it was obvious to me that we'd be playing a weakened side and as a result we might get beaten.

And I too am entitled to an opinion... yes?

It's interesting that you knew we'd play such a weakened side, 'cos I certainly didn't after hearing Mancini assure us that he wanted to win the fucking thing!

And you know what... I never once thought WBA would beat us. Strange that I had more faith in the manager and the team than you seemed to have.

But you called it right... and I wish I had done the same and stayed at home watching Coronation Street...

Of course your entitled to your opinion but it was obvious we'd play a weakened side. There was a thread on here discussing it and most put a weakened side out, albeit stronger than was actually played. Therefore, there was always the possibility we'd get beat. That's football. What I find strange is that you'd not even consider getting beat an option, WBA are still a Premier League side with a pretty good home record.

PS I didn't watch Coronation Street, I listerned to the radio and please in future don't imply that I wouldn't go to a City away for any other reason than being able to afford it. You don't know me and you don't know my circumstances.

Whilst not making it clear prior to the first sale of tickets it was pretty obvious over the last couple of days that he was going to field a few less experienced players. I personally would have expected a few changes albeit not as many as there were.

Some were forced by injuries as I would have expected one senior centre half but feel that whilst disappointed being out of the cup the kids put in a decent performance. No need for the booing at the end!!

Bring on Chelsea and other than a top 4 finish lets concentrate on the Europa Cup.

Duki Blue said:
Whilst not making it clear prior to the first sale of tickets it was pretty obvious over the last couple of days that he was going to field a few less experienced players. I personally would have expected a few changes albeit not as many as there were.

Some were forced by injuries as I would have expected one senior centre half but feel that whilst disappointed being out of the cup the kids put in a decent performance. No need for the booing at the end!!

Bring on Chelsea and other than a top 4 finish lets concentrate on the Europa Cup.

Just out of interest, have you ever known City to concentrate on anything?

I'm as sick as anyone that we lost last night, and if we could have garaunteed a trophy by playing our best available squad last night I'd be absolutely gutted, but a win last night wouldn't have assured us of anything.
If we won the league cup and nothing else and had only qualified for the europa league, I'd consider this year to be a failure in the grand scale of things. Sure, it would have brought an end to our 35 year barron spell, but lets all agree on something, the league cup is not a trophy of anywhere near the standing of the other competitions we are still in.
We at the point we are in, having spent as much as we have, should be making bigger progress than a league cup final win.
Yes, call my attitude blase, but the standing of this competition is pretty low and our priorities should be, and obviously are higher.
Our expectations need to be at a higher level, and it is only our fear of going another season trophyless that cause us to be so dissappointed by this result.
I think this cup exit will probably give us a far greater chance in all 3 of the other competitions, and feel a win in any one of the others still available to us, will truly announce our arrival at the top table, whereas a league cup win will do nothing more than cause the removal of a banner at Trafford Rangers.
It will ensure Mancini has had a wake up call and now knows he will have no easy way of ensuring his continuence at our great club, but I am trying to express in a possitive manner, that the bar we are raising, should be at a level comparative to our expectations in view of our spending and squad.
Don't lose faith because we have lost in a competion not considered to be a marker of a great team in ascendency, the rags won it last year and if they win it alone again this year, their fans will be gutted, and clearly have to see the writing on the wall.
The apparent expectation for some silverware will now be even higher as a result, and that added pressure will assure us of at the very least, added concentration and significant improvements for the remainder of this season.

not really sure how to feel about team selection for last night. i understand the viewpoint of people saying we have too many matches to play etc. etc. but after all these years surely this cup would be the easiest to win. if we had played a better team against west brom and won we would be in last 16 with quite a few so-called lesser teams and if we continued to play our first team 3 more matches and we could have been at wembley with a great chance to finally get that sodding banner removed. then we could have sacked the FA CUP if we were still in the europa league. i realise that finishing in top 4 is more important in the long run than winning something like the carling cup but i feel we or rather mancini has wasted a good chance of winning our first trophy. of course should we beat chelsea all will be forgiven but if we don't then let's get real. we are not winning the league this year and i don't think the europa league is that winnable after the champs league dropouts come on either. just gutted that he thought this competition was not worth the effort.

de niro said:
jamiegrimble said:
"I don't regret making the changes. I have big problems at the moment and we couldn't take any risks.

"If I had more players available it would be a different team. But when you play like us and Chelsea, on Saturday at 12.45, the time to recover is very short.

"They would need minimum three days so to play tonight would have been dangerous."

"Saturday is more important, the FA Cup is more important. The Europa League is more important.

"I did not regard this as a necessary sacrifice. We wanted to win. That is why I had four senior players on the bench.

"But I knew there was a chance we could lose because we started with six young players.

"I am happy with these guys. We might have lost the game but they can improve. If they do not play tonight, when will they ever play?"

Hopefully all will work out for us this season. Our manager has clearly prioritised. I personally think we have blown a big chance this evening of silverware. Its not the end of the world of course, Liverpool can hang their heads in shame and Chelsea to. Yet I cant help but feel, we should be winning these games.

whereas you dont risk some players you do in fact get the game won THEN bring the kids on, maybe 2 or 3 at a time each round, not 6 all at once at a premiership club away from home. if you do then at least keep the likes of jo and rsc well away from proceedings.
But with Balotelli and Adebayor recovering from injury, Jo and Santa Cruz are the best available. Nimley was also injured.

mancini could have taken a risk with his senior players. But it's not a risk worth taking. We're going to have a very demanding schedule ahead of us, and unless the injury situation improves, you can't use the same pool of 18 players every 3 days from here on in through Christmas and beyond.

jamiegrimble said:
"Saturday is more important, the FA Cup is more important. The Europa League is more important.

Exactly what I said gods honest truth, I told countless mates of mine I reckon Mancini is concentrating more on Europa, The F.A cup and the League he wants to make as much money as possible from a trophy and EARN WHAT HE SPENDS otherwise you get fucked over in 2012 in Europe.

Me and Bobby Manc are on the same wave length.

VIVA Mancini!

A defeat is a defeat, and I doubt very much if money was on Mancini's mind when he selected his team last night

He selected the best available players who weren't part of his Premiership plans as Ancelotti and Fergie did last night

Lets hope that we don't get any more injuries or that pool of players will be the ones we see in Premiership matches

What worries the arse off me, is that WBA played 10 of their "second string" squad and not the first team.

Their "fringe" players , looked a lot better than ours.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.