Mancini out/Mancini in

macmanson said:
Interesting article on Mancini from an Argie fan:

<a class="postlink" href="http://myargentinianfootball.blogspot.com/2008/05/future-of-inter-milan-mancini-to.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://myargentinianfootball.blogspot.c ... ni-to.html</a>

It's odd that the cons are the same things that some City fans have been bringing up. I agree with the previous poster though. Now that he's here, we need to have continuity. I'm hoping he's learning as he goes and is able to unite the team. If we do end up with up to 7 new signings as some suggest, there is going to be another period where some superior player management skills are going to be needed.

On the flip side, this article gives some insight into how Mancini played his formations.

<a class="postlink" href="http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rorysmith/100004997/italian-stereotype-degrades-mancini-and-serie-a/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rory ... d-serie-a/</a>

The interesting parts are that he prefers a 3 man combative midfield and it suggests that's why Yaya would be a target. Also that he sometimes uses 2 big men up front which would be consistent with our supposed pursuit of Dzeko. Hopefully, his dull defensive streak last year was simply poor execution of what he was hoping to be swift counter attacking football.

To be honest, neither of those articles did anything other than reinforce my concerns that Mancini will ultimately be too negative for this league, and the damage his lack of man management skills COULD do, would see the season implode in a much more dramatic fashion than Hughes' 11 draws on the bounce...

He's ours so we've got to give him a chance - but I sure hope he's ready for the flack if he chooses to play the absurd 4312 formation with three dm's, or some equally absurd variation of it...

be lucky to get to half-time ,never mind christmas, before the bitching starts. it's in the DNA of a section of City followers. And it's no use appealing for patience,common sense,etc, as they dont have any. So many false dawns have left their mark,it seems.

macmanson said:

<a class="postlink" href="http://myargentinianfootball.blogspot.com/2008/05/future-of-inter-milan-mancini-to.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://myargentinianfootball.blogspot.c ... ni-to.html</a>

It's odd that the cons are the same things that some City fans have been bringing up. I agree with the previous poster though. Now that he's here, we need to have continuity. I'm hoping he's learning as he goes and is able to unite the team. If we do end up with up to 7 new signings as some suggest, there is going to be another period where some superior player management skills are going to be needed.

On the flip side, this article gives some insight into how Mancini played his formations.

<a class="postlink" href="http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rorysmith/100004997/italian-stereotype-degrades-mancini-and-serie-a/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rory ... d-serie-a/</a>

The interesting parts are that he prefers a 3 man combative midfield and it suggests that's why Yaya would be a target. Also that he sometimes uses 2 big men up front which would be consistent with our supposed pursuit of Dzeko. Hopefully, his dull defensive streak last year was simply poor execution of what he was hoping to be swift counter attacking football.

Two interesting articles especialy the first one. Man management definitely seems to be an issue. Mancini is not one for cozy relationships and seems to be in the Capello/Benitez camp when it comes to dealing with players. Equally this is a matter of personality and I don't see it changing much, although I think Mancini would benefit from adopting a more 'sympatico' style. And anyway I recall Hughes being heralded as the second coming for his no nonsense approach to management and making players work etc so its going to be interesting to see what happens when we have a manager who actually does it rather than says it :)

I am confident that given time Mancini will build a powerful team that will come to dominate and win things and in a fairly short time. Whether we like the way it is done or whether we can get our heads around matches in which results are ground out or are overly tactical remains to be seen. We do love a stereotype and we even bitched at comfortable wins under Mancini plus I do think City fans are more comfortable with a British manager.

Beyond that it will be interesting to see if Mancini hits that glass ceiling as he did at Inter or whether he has learnt from it and can improve as a manager. The comment that Mancini is an excellent manager but not (yet) one of the great managers is fair comment. But at our stage of development Mancini is an ideal choice.

i think its totally diffferent to the hughes situation, people wanted hughes out BEFORE a ball was kicked, he dared to have played for the rags, the same people would have been gutted had city done well under him, worst still there were people on here wanted city to lose in order for him to be sacked. pathetic.
as for mancini i dont think anybody wants rid of him, even last season when lets face it he fucked up big time in some games i dont think many wanted him gone.he just had to learn what the prem is all about.the players he has bought seem perfect for an assault on the prem title, good players and with a flair and grit mix.his man management will be better as he has his own players in, there was bound to have been a group of hughes players miffed at his sacking.so all in all its all geared for success so i dont think the in/out subject will pop up, if we are there or there abouts we will have january to tweak things so xmas(as last season) is too soon to sack any manager, if we finish 5th next season it wont make one jot of difference what is said on here as the owners will make that decision for us.

BobKowalski said:
macmanson said:

Two interesting articles especialy the first one. Man management definitely seems to be an issue. Mancini is not one for cozy relationships and seems to be in the Capello/Benitez camp when it comes to dealing with players. Equally this is a matter of personality and I don't see it changing much, although I think Mancini would benefit from adopting a more 'sympatico' style. And anyway I recall Hughes being heralded as the second coming for his no nonsense approach to management and making players work etc so its going to be interesting to see what happens when we have a manager who actually does it rather than says it :)

I am confident that given time Mancini will build a powerful team that will come to dominate and win things and in a fairly short time. Whether we like the way it is done or whether we can get our heads around matches in which results are ground out or are overly tactical remains to be seen. We do love a stereotype and we even bitched at comfortable wins under Mancini plus I do think City fans are more comfortable with a British manager.

Beyond that it will be interesting to see if Mancini hits that glass ceiling as he did at Inter or whether he has learnt from it and can improve as a manager. The comment that Mancini is an excellent manager but not (yet) one of the great managers is fair comment. But at our stage of development Mancini is an ideal choice.

You know this already, but I don't believe there is any benefit in the modern game to being a Capello/Mancini/Benitez type personality. Football is an altogether different world from what it was even a decade ago, and the truly great managers have learned to adapt their approaches in order to get the best out of modern players.

Hughes did an excellent job at bringing a professionalism and world ethic to Carrington which was sorely lacking when he arrived. He managed to get the players to buy into what he was doing, and those that weren't were jettisoned. Mancini is taking a similar approach, the only difference being that he doesn't care whether the players buy into his methods, he just wants them to follow orders. Subtle difference and one which is equal parts stubbornness, and, an inability to speak the language IMO.

nimrod said:
Does anybody else have this nauseating feeling that history will repeat itself this season and that by Xmas a large proportion of fans will be calling for Mancini to be dumped due to his, shall we say, slightly negative tactics ?
Xmas? I'm not waiting that long!

He'll probably have spent more money than Hughes and have had a full pre-season with his signings. If we don't get off to a good start then people are entitled to have a pop. The knives were certainly out for Hughes in the early part of last season so the deluded Mancini lovers can hardly complain if he gets the same treatment.

Anyone think we shouldn't be well in the top 4 after the first half-dozen games this season?

Prestwich_Blue said:
nimrod said:
Does anybody else have this nauseating feeling that history will repeat itself this season and that by Xmas a large proportion of fans will be calling for Mancini to be dumped due to his, shall we say, slightly negative tactics ?
Xmas? I'm not waiting that long!

He'll probably have spent more money than Hughes and have had a full pre-season with his signings. If we don't get off to a good start then people are entitled to have a pop. The knives were certainly out for Hughes in the early part of last season so the deluded Mancini lovers can hardly complain if he gets the same treatment.

Anyone think we shouldn't be well in the top 4 after the first half-dozen games this season?

6 games in is hardly a time to judge whether a managers good enough or how we're going to do that season, just like last year when we had 5 wins out of the first 6 in the leauge it didn't mean we were going to win the leauge. Things change quickly in football and you can go from looking up one week to looking behind you the next week. I'd like us to be in the top four after the first 6 games and i'm sure we will be however footballs not as easy as that and it's not the end of the world if we're not in the top four after the first 6 games aslong we aren't too far off and we then kick on. The problem last season was we had a great start but then faded badly, under Hughes we didn't look like losing but we also didn't look like winning and that was his downfall, we've got to make sure that doesn't happen this season and if it does then people are going to question Mancini which is fair enough, some people aren't happy with him now which i thinks strange but so be it, everyones entitled to their own opinion

BillyShears said:
BobKowalski said:

You know this already, but I don't believe there is any benefit in the modern game to being a Capello/Mancini/Benitez type personality. Football is an altogether different world from what it was even a decade ago, and the truly great managers have learned to adapt their approaches in order to get the best out of modern players.

Hughes did an excellent job at bringing a professionalism and world ethic to Carrington which was sorely lacking when he arrived. He managed to get the players to buy into what he was doing, and those that weren't were jettisoned. Mancini is taking a similar approach, the only difference being that he doesn't care whether the players buy into his methods, he just wants them to follow orders. Subtle difference and one which is equal parts stubbornness, and, an inability to speak the language IMO.

The language skills is largely nonsense in my opinion. It is simply a convenient excuse for when things go wrong which we are seeing writ large with Capello at the moment. It didn't seem to handicap Ancelotti last season nor did it prevent Mancini communicating his ideas to the players last season. They may not like his ideas or his methods but they did get it :)

I'll take your word for it on Hughes as you probably have greater insight then I do. Any scepticism is based on what I saw on the pitch and besides its irrelevant now.

As to the benefits or otherwise of being a Benitez type character well you are who you are and so far its not done Rafa that much harm. Mancini may or may not learn from previous mistakes. He may not even perceive what he has done as 'mistakes' whatever. Its his choice and he will live or die by the choices he makes.

I still maintain that given time he will build a powerful and competitive team which right now is what we want and need.

Prestwich_Blue said:

I could understand if we weren't. Mancini is going to have to blood, blend and win simultaneously to keep pace. I imagine the winning will take a lot of the slack and rightfully so, we need to take a step back to stride forward. Before you start I never once wanted Hughes out, just because some idiots did doesn't mean that becomes the standard.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.