Mancini out/Mancini in

Chick Counterfly said:
Chelsea dressing room = Close knit, extremely settled, experienced team with obvious meritocratic heirachy. They demonstrably know how to win together and manage themselves. The light touch is all that's ever needed in that situation.

City dressing room = ?
Success is a funny thing, it makes everyone your friend, failure and no one likes eachother.

Chick Counterfly said:
Chelsea dressing room = Close knit, extremely settled, experienced team with obvious meritocratic heirachy. They demonstrably know how to win together and manage themselves. The light touch is all that's ever needed in that situation.

City dressing room = ?
That's a good point. A squad is not necessarily a team. That is why I always said people were wrong to call for Hughes' head so early. Even Baconface realised he still hadn't got it right after he'd already been there 3 years.

We are in the same position the rags were in in the late-80's/early-90's (rebuilding from scratch) not the position that Chelsea were in in the mid-90's pre-Mourinho (already a decent team that just needed a bit extra).

A manager at a club like this will survive by learning from his mistakes ... by buying consistent players who can effectively 'gel' as a team ... and by the tactics (and motivation) that he directs at that team ......... Mancini knows that , or he should do ........ he has to learn from the mistakes that he made last season , build on them , and he has to take this club forward progressively ....... if he doesn't he won't last the course.

He knows the score!

BillyShears said:
BobKowalski said:
The language skills is largely nonsense in my opinion. It is simply a convenient excuse for when things go wrong which we are seeing writ large with Capello at the moment. It didn't seem to handicap Ancelotti last season nor did it prevent Mancini communicating his ideas to the players last season. They may not like his ideas or his methods but they did get it :)

Communication is not just about communicating WHAT your ideas on the pitch are, but also it's about communicating WHY you have those ideas. Also, your Ancelotti example is misleading. The whole point is that Mancini is a poor man manager, and in fact, Ancelotti's success at Chelsea shows that if you take a more sanguine and modern approach to managing your playing squad, it reaps more benefits than the "iron fist" approach. Look at the glowing terms in which Joe Cole spoke of Ancelotti even though he barely played last season, and was released by Chelsea this summer.

If we're talking about making excuses - excusing every idiosyncrasy of the manager as being ultimately beneficial to the club, whilst at the same time lambasting every idiosyncrasy a player has as being the by-product of being over-paid, work shy, or 'thick', is lazy and blinkered.

Well nothing explains 'why' better than success. Capello's man-management style and communication skills were a 'success' when England were winning and not so hot when England didn't

Besides no one is saying that Mancini is 'Mr warm and fuzzy'. Mancini is manifestly not an overly sympathetic character who goes out of his way to endear himself. I have repeatedly said that this season its going to be a harsh environment and there will be players who are less than keen. Tevez being one of them. But then lets hope that Tevez having gotten himself in shape for the WC has realised the benefits of a professional attitude to his trade :)

Anyway we will all know soon enough whether Mancini and his team can deliver what we want. Attractive and successful football. Although I will settle for 'successful' in the short term. Its going to be a big ask but Mancini is a big boy and knows the score

nimrod said:
Does anybody else have this nauseating feeling that history will repeat itself this season and that by Xmas a large proportion of fans will be calling for Mancini to be dumped due to his, shall we say, slightly negative tactics ?

I hope to god Im wrong as I really didnt like the Hughes in/out episode.

short of relegation then we must keep Mancini - he has brought in / bringing in players that only other teams can dream about including ourselves a few years back. The squad is without doubt one of the strongest (only Chelski have a better squad) and a first 11 as good as anything out there. It now down to the players to grow some and earn their money

Mancini must see out his contract - i never felt that way with Hughes and all the City fans on here need to support the manager for the coming seasons - relegation apart

BobKowalski said:
Well nothing explains 'why' better than success. Capello's man-management style and communication skills were a 'success' when England were winning and not so hot when England didn't

Besides no one is saying that Mancini is 'Mr warm and fuzzy'. Mancini is manifestly not an overly sympathetic character who goes out of his way to endear himself. I have repeatedly said that this season its going to be a harsh environment and there will be players who are less than keen. Tevez being one of them. But then lets hope that Tevez having gotten himself in shape for the WC has realised the benefits of a professional attitude to his trade :)

Anyway we will all know soon enough whether Mancini and his team can deliver what we want. Attractive and successful football. Although I will settle for 'successful' in the short term. Its going to be a big ask but Mancini is a big boy and knows the score

I don't see the benefit in being in a management role and not being adaptable to the situations you find yourself in. Nobody wants to work in a "harsh environment" - not in football and not in any other profession.

I actually don't see how it's a big ask to get the team playing attractive and successful football when you have the resources player wise at your disposal that Mancini will have come the start of the upcoming season...

BillyShears said:
BobKowalski said:

I don't see the benefit in being in a management role and not being adaptable to the situations you find yourself in. Nobody wants to work in a "harsh environment" - not in football and not in any other profession.

I actually don't see how it's a big ask to get the team playing attractive and successful football when you have the resources player wise at your disposal that Mancini will have come the start of the upcoming season...

Its a big ask because playng attractive football and winning stuff in the prem is difficult - Arsenal? - the most successful teams need to be able to mix it as well as playing decent football - Rags and Chelski are good examples of this. The Prem is a league of attriction not open dazzling football - each and every team we play this season is going to raise their game by 10% at least and to win those games we are going to have to impose ourselves and mix it a little

dctid said:
BillyShears said:

Its a big ask because playng attractive football and winning stuff in the prem is difficult - Arsenal? - the most successful teams need to be able to mix it as well as playing decent football - Rags and Chelski are good examples of this. The Prem is a league of attriction not open dazzling football - each and every team we play this season is going to raise their game by 10% at least and to win those games we are going to have to impose ourselves and mix it a little

I actually agree with you to a certain extent. But the two things aren't mutually exclusive. You can play attractive football going forward, whilst still mixing it with the Bolton's of this world. Also I don't think anyone expects us to come out in August playing football like Arsenal or the rags. However, I also don't think anyone wants to see a repeat of the awfully negative way in which we played under Mancini in the second half of last season...

There seems to be a lot of black and white arguments going on in this thread when IMO the reality is that there is plenty of grey in the middle which is being ignored...

BillyShears said:
dctid said:

I actually agree with you to a certain extent. But the two things aren't mutually exclusive. You can play attractive football going forward, whilst still mixing it with the Bolton's of this world. Also I don't think anyone expects us to come out in August playing football like Arsenal or the rags. However, I also don't think anyone wants to see a repeat of the awfully negative way in which we played under Mancini in the second half of last season...

There seems to be a lot of black and white arguments going on in this thread when IMO the reality is that there is plenty of grey in the middle which is being ignored...

I think you are going to be a little dissapointed - we will play two holding midfield players with one of them given a little more license to support the forward players (Yaya is my guess as Barry dont have the legs and DJ could not score ina Brothel)

Alot will rest on the front 4 - Spain play with 2 holding midfield players as do Garmany as does Jose - i dont necessarily think two holding midfield players is negative providing that thay can all pass and tackel and get around the park - the reason why we were poor last year was because with a Barry / DJ combo one cant pass / shoot and generally score goals but excellent at breaking up play - Barry just cant get around the pitch and is less effective at breaking up play. Hopefully YaYA will get us moving - but fundamentally he is Italian and that is going to shape our footballing style.

dctid said:
BillyShears said:

I think you are going to be a little dissapointed - we will play two holding midfield players with one of them given a little more license to support the forward players (Yaya is my guess as Barry dont have the legs and DJ could not score ina Brothel)

Alot will rest on the front 4 - Spain play with 2 holding midfield players as do Garmany as does Jose - i dont necessarily think two holding midfield players is negative providing that thay can all pass and tackel and get around the park - the reason why we were poor last year was because with a Barry / DJ combo one cant pass / shoot and generally score goals but excellent at breaking up play - Barry just cant get around the pitch and is less effective at breaking up play. Hopefully YaYA will get us moving - but fundamentally he is Italian and that is going to shape our footballing style.

Actually, I can see us playing with 3 central midfield players, with one of them purely holding, and two of them being a little more progressive. What I'm almost certain we won't see, is us playing with 4 attacking players as we did for a large part of last season. It will be two forwards, a creative Silva/Ireland in behind, with the only width being provided by full backs.

I have my doubts as to whether that system will work in the premiership, and it could well be that I'm totally wrong and we see a different system employed by Mancini...

Anyway, we're getting very close to the time when all will become clear...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.