Mancini v Pellegrini so far ......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pellegrini has yet to show that he's a tactician. He seems to be someone who has one style of play which is he sticks to 98% if the time, even when we are getting outplayed. I still cannot believe he allowed Bayern to piss all over us for 75 minutes at the Etihad.

totalfootball said:
Pellegrini has yet to show that he's a tactician. He seems to be someone who has one style of play which is he sticks to 98% if the time, even when we are getting outplayed. I still cannot believe he allowed Bayern to piss all over us for 75 minutes at the Etihad.
I doubt if he did allow it. The truth is that we were up against one of the three truly world class teams in the game, and we were playing them in the first of a six game mini league, meaning that it was important to get at least ten points on the board before being able to relax in later games. With this in mind, Bayern were already going to be up for it, and at the same time they would have been determined to put down a marker for a new kid on the block team such as City.

I'm no cynic said:
totalfootball said:
I doubt if he did allow it. The truth is that we were up against one of the three truly world class teams in the game, and we were playing them in the first of a six game mini league, meaning that it was important to get at least ten points on the board before being able to relax in later games. With this in mind, Bayern were already going to be up for it, and at the same time they would have been determined to put down a marker for a new kid on the block team such as City.

Your post basically amounts to "We were scoobied from the start against Bayern because unfortunately for us it was an important game for them so they really tried"

So I'm going to disregard any depth to this discussion too and simply say this -

No team containing players of the ability and statue of Hart, Kompany, Fernandinho, Yaya Toure, Navas, Nasri and Aguero should EVER be outplayed to that extent.

totalfootball said:

Turning to the subject of the thread, do you really think Mancini would have fared much better? Judging by our performance in the previous two years, almost certainly not.

Lucky Toma said:
I'm no cynic said:
totalfootball said:

Your post basically amounts to "We were scoobied from the start against Bayern because unfortunately for us it was an important game for them so they really tried"

So I'm going to disregard any depth to this discussion too and simply say this -

No team containing players of the ability and statue of Hart, Kompany, Fernandinho, Yaya Toure, Navas, Nasri and Aguero should EVER be outplayed to that extent.
^^^This^^^

It was all about tactics. Guardiola showed us the necessary respect by playing without a recognised striker and packing the midfield and we didn't reciprocate that respect as we should have done by matching the best team in Europe man-for-man in midfield until the game was almost over.

Now that was just pure naivety on our part.

For me I am extremely satisfied with the way the team is developing under Pelli. He picked up a team which which in my opinion was mentally shot and required a boost.

Tactically they are both very different, Mancini is generally defensive and tries to build slowly . Pelligrini is more offensive and is trying to shape the team into a more energetic team, with plenty of pressing and quick movement. It does leave us open.

The signs are great under Pelli and I think this guy is giving more in terms of entertainment than Mancini

jaigurugoat said:
totalfootball said:

Turning to the subject of the thread, do you really think Mancini would have fared much better? Judging by our performance in the previous two years, almost certainly not.
I doubt any manager would have fared any better let alone Mancini, but at least most top managers wouldn't have set their team up in such a Kamikaze fashion against the best club side in the world whether at home or not.

My hope is the MP has learned form the mauling we got, but judging by his comments yesterday that we're sticking with 4-4-2 come what may, I think we've got a long way to go yet.

Lucky Toma said:
I'm no cynic said:
totalfootball said:

As you say, a team with the players you name should never, on paper, be outplayed to such an extent, but remember that we have struggled against teams like Sunderland, Cardiff and Southampton with many of these same players, and none of these teams could never live with Bayern.

Lucky Toma said:

How many goals did Bayern put past Barcelona last season? :)

Dribble said:
Lucky Toma said:
I'm no cynic said:

^^^This^^^

It was all about tactics. Guardiola showed us the necessary respect by playing without a recognised striker and packing the midfield and we didn't reciprocate that respect as we should have done by matching the best team in Europe man-for-man in midfield until the game was almost over.

Now that was just pure naivety on our part.
I disagree with Lucky Toma, but I do agree with you. Our manager was naive in his team selection, and it is suicidal trying to take on Bayern at their own game. Bayern are one of the three world class powers of the game, and we are still a long way short of that standard for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.