Mancini

Status
Not open for further replies.
simon23 said:
My point is that some people have always been critical, refuse to give any praise (or very little) and dont seem to think that Mancini deserves time to now challenge again after the bar has been raised further (not just by utd but by the likes of spurs (esp) liverpool (who look like are slowly improving again despite their reult yesterday), chelsea (who are in a period of change but still challengers) and the likes of everton who are always strong.

I think for what he has done he deserves more credit which in my mind is not just acknowledging it on here but instead everytime we lose it means not constantly asking for him to go...critiicse team selection, tactics etc all you want....I will as well, but sacking the manager just for one season where we have not achieved is not he way.

I also think that certain people have formed opinions and are not willing to even give a little on those opinions despite the success we have. It was mancini and his coaches/backroom staff and players that got us the title and the fa cup.......its not just the money that was invested...someone had to bring it all together (remember the rag media saying that he wouldnt be able to do it......well he proved them wrong)

Some people just cannt admit they are sometimes wrong (even slightly)

Few of us like to admit to being wrong but at this point I'll say that I have been guilty of overestimating Mancini's ability to put things right. And it's not about just one season, Xmas 2011 was the point at which I think things generally took a turn for the worse. I thought he had started to recover things with the run-in last season but, aside from maybe the recent Chelsea game, I've seen little to suggest that Bobby is learning the lessons.

Didsbury Dave said:
samharris said:
Didsbury Dave said:
Of the people I go to the games with, one (aged 70) thinks Mancini is incompetant. The lad who sits with me was behind him but has given up on him. Another mate is in the "whatever will be will be" camp. My ex-next door neighbour has always been a "we can't just keep sacking managers" camp but now is pretty much "I'll back the owners whatever". Me, I want him out. Most of us played the game all of our lives.

I'd say that amongst City fans who understand the game there is a lot of cynicism and some outright hostility to Mancini now. To claim that there are four City fans who don't rate him is just nonsense of course. The majority of blues are in the wavering middle ground, and that in itself says a lot.

Us Mancini outers have cynicism of course we do,we simply dont have the hostility and the difference is we are prepared to wait and see if things can be turned around.

Whilst some of us have the odd rant after a game (me included), the majority of hostility on this forum unquestionably comes from those who seek to protect Mancini.

Its unfortunate Dave but hostilty to our manager will be met with hostilty by those protecting him..
Its just the way it is im afraid.. but hey.. no ones perfect..

Exeter Blue was spot on with his post.

For the want of a better term the "inners" believe the "outers" have only lost faith in Mancini due to the fact we are unlikely to win the league, thus seeing us as spoilt brats etc etc.

This is completely untrue, were we second, but taking United all the way then that would be fine. Similar to how they pushed us to the very last second of last season. As it is, we are as close to 8th place than 1st.

The defence of our title has been pitiful. Our Champions League campaign was...pitiful. We don't expect to win something every year, but we expect progression/consolidation, not complete and utter regression.

Almost the entire squad has under performed this year, and that has to be down to the manager, ultimately.

At the start of the season the party line for the 'inners' was, well at least we are unbeaten. Anyone could see through this as draws which should have been wins. What has happened since then....4 defeats. Mancini has seemingly turned away from the free flowing attacking football that we saw last season, and taken us back to that more 'lets not get beaten' style we saw a few seasons ago.

What really disappoints, is, when being completely honest, how many highlights can you take from this season. On a personal level I can take Madrid away, as it was a fantastic trip, but as a set of supporters..? I remember last season I couldn't wait to watch match of the day every week to watch our attractive football again. This season, even when we won we have scraped through a lot. What has happened to our style and panache? There have been so few times we have actually played well.

samharris said:
OB1 said:
Danielmanc said:
United come second and go out of the CL in the group stages and it is a 'blip'. City come second and go out of the CL in the group stages and we should sack the manager - some strange interpretations on this thread

United came second with a record points haul and lost on goal difference to a team that, IMO, had a considerably stronger squad. This season we are, you may have noticed, 15 points behind them as they waltz to another title, possibly a double. I'd say it was a blip.

Did you think Mancini was clueless and tactically inept last season when we were playing well and scoring for fun and winning the title.??

No, but we were playing our own game then, virtually unmolested. This season the opposition have wised up on our limitations and we've seen City succumb repeatedly against the high press and the parked bus. Do you think Mancini has been tactically adroit in the face of this, or do you think (as the evidence of Southampton, Everton, Liverpool, Dortmund etc etc, suggests) he has been increasingly found wanting?

Didsbury Dave said:
I'd say that amongst City fans who understand the game there is a lot of cynicism and some outright hostility to Mancini .
That comes across as pretty arrogant. So by definition, if you think Mancini is OK then you don't understand the game.

What some fans say about Mancini's tactics and his stubbiness for me is also his strengths, as a manager this is a trait in all winning managers!

Mancini will not change to wingers his style is in stone and it works.. we have missed Richards more than some think also injuries have been a factor. Mancini believes in possession passing football and I really think he is not that bothered with players with pace because that can be easily counteracted by opposing managers..

I think Mancini will be backed this summer and giving another season at least..

Didsbury Dave said:
samharris said:
Didsbury Dave said:
Of the people I go to the games with, one (aged 70) thinks Mancini is incompetant. The lad who sits with me was behind him but has given up on him. Another mate is in the "whatever will be will be" camp. My ex-next door neighbour has always been a "we can't just keep sacking managers" camp but now is pretty much "I'll back the owners whatever". Me, I want him out. Most of us played the game all of our lives.

I'd say that amongst City fans who understand the game there is a lot of cynicism and some outright hostility to Mancini now. To claim that there are four City fans who don't rate him is just nonsense of course. The majority of blues are in the wavering middle ground, and that in itself says a lot.

Us Mancini outers have cynicism of course we do,we simply dont have the hostility and the difference is we are prepared to wait and see if things can be turned around.

Whilst some of us have the odd rant after a game (me included), the majority of hostility on this forum unquestionably comes from those who seek to protect Mancini.

Yes,but that 'odd rant after a game' has a habit of lasting all week,albeit regurgitated in slightly different wording,and that's why folk like myself switch off to the debate,because very little new product seems to come to the table.
I'm not blaming you,or either side, or anyone in particular for this - we can all be intransigent and pig-headed when it suits,but it achieves nothing,other than getting it off our collective chests.
Trying to take some supposed moral high ground by effectively saying 'you lot are nastier than our lot' is,again,reducing things to the level of the playground,and we end up with the same half dozen folk on either side just picking over the carcass of what was once a discussion in an increasingly futile attempt to score fatuous brownie points.
I know the term Groundhog Day has been done to death,but it has never been more apt.
No hearts and minds are being won over here,by either side,and I should imagine that a fair proportion of the forum just speed read a couple of posts on threads like this every day,roll their eyes skywards,and go about their day,safe in the knowledge that nothing has changed in the interim.
You sometimes like to have a pop at the Cellar,but when the debate here just seems to go around in ever-decreasing circles and ends in the same bout of name-calling and recriminations,can you honestly blame folk for seeking solace in some mindless escapism elsewhere?

laudrup?

mourinho?

pelegrini?

who do the outers genuinely think we could get?

ban-mcfc said:
laudrup?

mourinho?

pelegrini?

who do the outers genuinely think we could get?

You can't see past Mourinho as the outstanding number 1 candidate who will be available this summer. After him it's Klopp. From there it's into the realms of Pelegrini, Laudrup, etc.

whicko said:
Didsbury Dave said:
samharris said:

How do you know that its not the interfering Spanish duo who have wrecked our season, seems a bit of a coincidence that since they arrived on the scene its all gone belly up!
We've failed to retain the title, but I'm not sure we could have done anything about it.

Can you manage a situation when you lose your star striker, and sell the other? I don't think in the Summer you could have expected that Balotelli would want to jump ship, and that Aguero would get injured. Combine with a season changing deflection off the wall in injury time in the Manchester Derby - these are the cruel fates of football.

I am not too dis-heartened. You can already see signs of decay at Man Utd. The manner of our title win has raised their mentality to unprecedented levels but you can not stop the march of time and Ferdinand, Giggs, Evra, Vidic, RVP, Scholes and Rooney are all on the downward path.

All we have to do is keep our heads and stick with the formula that has worked. The Spanish duo are intelligent men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.