Mancini's poor CL pedigree - Cause for concern?

Mancini reached three CL quarters in four years, and the other time he got knocked out by the winners.

Outside of Mou and Pep, show me a single manager in world football with a better record. This is the new "Mancini is defensive", a cliche spouted by people who had never heard of Roberto Mancini before he joined City.

BillyShears said:
That's an overly harsh and negative assessment.

Mancini did make a few mistakes - but ultimately the players he put out against Napoli (home and away) should've won.

His record at Inter wasn't great, but then that team wasn't as good as our current squad is, and more importantly he is older and more experienced than he was back then. Ultimately he knows he lost that job because of his CL record, and I expect that will have chastened him enough to make sure he succeeds in the competition while at City.

Agreed. We should have had better results against Napoli, we didn't but we move on. Whatever happened at Inter is irrelevant except for the experience he now has. To be his age with his ability and experience combined with our squad and money we have a real recipe for success.

Unfortunately I think European success will be a lot more difficult to achieve than domestic but if we're patient we will do it. Anyone who thinks we'll turn up next year and win it, or even the year after needs to look at Chelsea. They were the best team in Europe for a number of years and even with Mourinho in charge never won CL.

Neapoli7 said:
Marvin said:
Jack74 said:
Why post that ?
I think we went out for a few reasons:
2) Inexperience

I don't think that you were an inexperienced team as you had many players who previously played the Champions League (Nasri, Silva, Aguero, Balotelli, Dzeko, Tourè...) while Napoli had only 3 players (Pandev [played less than 90' in CL], Dossena, De Sanctis) and also the fact that it was your first time in Champions League is just an excuse, Napoli played the CL after 21 years and I think it does not make any difference with 40 - 50 years of absence as the teams have completely changed since then.

this is why City went out , just this , a thing you seem conveniently forget.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkvdgXNAWYY[/youtube]

I think with Mancini the problem is tactics, playing away in Europe is different to premier league, there is a time to play for a 0-0, 1-1 draw, and waste time. Rafa was king of Europe for a couple of seasons, he was the master of getting a 0-0, 1-1 draw, 1-0 away loss or 1 nil away win. Then again he was big on building the team around regista's such as Alonso. At home is the only time to attack and play to your game strengths, unless you have a really good tactic plan. The way to win in Europe is to set tactics to nulify the opposition when playing away.

Mancini should have realise it would have been impossible to win in Naples due to the nature of the stadium and played for a 0-0 draw. Teams like Inter, Milan, and Juve are scared to go there.

Mancio said:
Neapoli7 said:
Marvin said:
I think we went out for a few reasons:
2) Inexperience

I don't think that you were an inexperienced team as you had many players who previously played the Champions League (Nasri, Silva, Aguero, Balotelli, Dzeko, Tourè...) while Napoli had only 3 players (Pandev [played less than 90' in CL], Dossena, De Sanctis) and also the fact that it was your first time in Champions League is just an excuse, Napoli played the CL after 21 years and I think it does not make any difference with 40 - 50 years of absence as the teams have completely changed since then.

Well the Goalkeeper is part of the squad...

We needed to go and get a draw at Napoli but went all out for a win. After we got back to 1 1 we should have closed the doors and kept the ball.

Blue Dan said:
Jack74 said:
Why post that ?

fo·rum/ˈfôrəm/
Noun:

1. A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.
2. An Internet message board.

Not really what he meant though.

In answer to your question, i don't think it will cost him his job. Who's ever managed at a team like City before; a few managers at Real in the late 90's? Does that mean no one else but those have the ability/experience to be successful with us?

Neapoli7 said:
Mancio said:
Neapoli7 said:

that wasnt goalkeeper merit TBH , it was more gomez passing him the ball.

maybe gomez will have a role in a delaurentis movie..................

jay_mcfc said:
Unfortunately I think European success will be a lot more difficult to achieve than domestic but if we're patient we will do it. Anyone who thinks we'll turn up next year and win it, or even the year after needs to look at Chelsea. They were the best team in Europe for a number of years and even with Mourinho in charge never won CL.

I see European success as relative. I don't think we'll ever be able to go into a season thinking "we must win the CL this season" - as you need a fair bit of luck to win it. However I think it's important that we're seen to be progressing. That's probably where the criticism of Mancini's record at Inter comes from - when you look at how the team faired, they never really looked like being much better than the previous season.

Mancio said:
Neapoli7 said:
Mancio said:

that wasnt goalkeeper merit TBH , it was more gomez passing him the ball.

maybe gomez will have a role in a delaurentis movie..................

What can I say, we have two different point of views: For me the penalty saved is merit of the goalkeeper as he dived on the right side, for you is a passing ball from Gomez...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.