Mancini's selection and tactics

We shouldn't be resting anyone. The strongest available XI must play - so on that basis I'd like to see something like this:

Zab...VK....JL....GC

.......JG....YT.......

DS......SA.....SN

..........ED.........

Interesting Jonny you think Jimmy might get a game. I hope he does because I like him, but I fear he's another one who's City career is effectively going to end this season.

I've plumped for Edin over Carlos and Mario simply because I think against players he knows and a team he knows, playing with the kind of confidence he is, we will see the best of him. Plus CT played the entire game last Tuesday and again on Saturday.

A note to any mods who read this: I've asked Ric this before but why not move the pre-game discussion thread into the main forum as you do the post game discussion thread. Nobody goes into the matchday forum until matchday so you end up with people discussing formations/lineups in various unrelated threads. Also it would help put a bad results behind us by focussing on the upcoming game.

I think our options are limited, but if Zabaleta doesn't play with more positional discipline we don't have much chance. My impression of Dortmund is they're very good on the wings similar to Madrid.

taconinja said:
I think our options are limited, but if Zabaleta doesn't play with more positional discipline we don't have much chance. My impression of Dortmund is they're very good on the wings similar to Madrid.

The difference will be that whereas in Madrid we played on the break, Dortmund will play on the break tomorrow, and they are without question deadly playing that way. Going to be a hell of a match and I'm looking forward to the Mancini/Klopp head to head. Two top coaches both of whom are potentially heirs to Mourinho's thrown.

BillyShears said:
taconinja said:

The difference will be that whereas in Madrid we played on the break, Dortmund will play on the break tomorrow, and they are without question deadly playing that way. Going to be a hell of a match and I'm looking forward to the Mancini/Klopp head to head. Two top coaches both of whom are potentially heirs to Mourinho's thrown.
Very true. I think having Barry available will work wonders as well to be honest. He's great at helping the defenders cover for our roaming fullbacks.

taconinja said:
BillyShears said:
taconinja said:

Very true. I think having Barry available will work wonders as well to be honest. He's great at helping the defenders cover for our roaming fullbacks.

Good shout that actually. I can see Barry getting the nod over JG if he only plays two in the centre of midfield.

BillyShears said:
taconinja said:
BillyShears said:

Good shout that actually. I can see Barry getting the nod over JG if he only plays two in the centre of midfield.
Nor would I be surprised to see both with Yaya more advanced.

BillyShears said:
We shouldn't be resting anyone. The strongest available XI must play - so on that basis I'd like to see something like this:

Zab...VK....JL....GC

.......JG....YT.......

DS......SA.....SN

..........ED.........

Interesting Jonny you think Jimmy might get a game. I hope he does because I like him, but I fear he's another one who's City career is effectively going to end this season.

I've plumped for Edin over Carlos and Mario simply because I think against players he knows and a team he knows, playing with the kind of confidence he is, we will see the best of him. Plus CT played the entire game last Tuesday and again on Saturday.

Not a bad side.

But for me our strongest 11 at the minute has to have Barry in it. We always look a better side both in possession and defensively if he's in there.

Not sure whether I'd go for Garcia (with Yaya pushed forward) or whether I'd opt for Nasri (with Yaya alongside Barry).

Starting Nasri is ok in home games as this is generally where we see the best of him, away from home though he struggles to have a big enough impact on the game (see Liverpool, Stoke, Madrid, some games last season).

Yeah, Dortmund's pace is brilliant. One, two fast passes and they can hurt you. My mate played against them in Bundesliga few weeks ago and Dortmund was pressing so high, basically destroyed their midfield and Reus was always trying to make his runs. Brilliant player. Against City they'll wait but I'm sure they'll score at least once.

Why did Barry play 77 on Saturday?

The league season is 38 games long. Tonight's game was our most important game of our Champions League campaign, we had to be put our strongest side out tonight and Barry should've been on the field.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.