mancunian born

Flixton blue said:
sir malcom said:
DOSENT REALLY ANSWE MY QUESTION THOUGH FELLAS,WAS PARK HOSPITAL IN THE BOUNDARIES OF MANCHESTER BEFORE THEY CHANGED THEM ALL ABOUT IN 1974.

Sir Mal, Davyhulme has never been part of Manchester. Prior to becoming part of the newly created borough of Trafford in '74 it was part of Urmston Urban District Council in the county of Lancashire.

To me it doesn't matter though. You're still a manc in my eyes. I've always thought it daft that someone could be born less than 5 miles from the city centre but not be part of that city. One for off topic but I actually think Manchester City Council should absorb Tameside and Trafford (not Salford as this has been a city for centuries) as Manchester is one of the smaller "big cities" in the country with only c. 500k inhabitants. For a city of this importance i think the council should have a greater influence over the wider area. Will never happen though as MCC has one of the highest council tax rates in the country whereas those outside it's official borders are much lower.

I was born in Wythenshawe so can claim to be 100% Manc. However I now live virtually opposite Trafford General (Park Hospital). You're right, Urmston, Davyhulme and Flixton (and Stretford for that matter) have never been part of the City of Manchester. Prior to the local government changes Park hospital would have been, as you rightly say, in the Urban district of Urmston.

I am inclined to agree with you about the City Council absorbing areas like North Trafford and Tameside. Trafford is to me a completely artificial entity - a name made up to describe a loose collection of towns and villages formerley in both Lancashire and Cheshire. Who would ever describe themselves as coming from Trafford?

born st. mary's. family originally from gorton and audenshawe but moved to stockport when i was born. now live in macclesfield after biting the bullet and moving in with the missus, lots of blues out here though so doesn't feel like i'm too far away

wythenshawe hospital 1972...i lived my earlier days in wythenshawe,moved to altrincham,had a couple of years in chester,now in northwich!

born 1969 in hope
irlam until i was 4...mum was asthmatic and doctor advised her to move to the coast.
moved to Fleetwood on the fylde and lived over here ever since, season ticket holder since god knows when.
loads of blues on the fylde
mum (and dad) still going strong and blue

THE FYLDE COAST IS BLUE!!

St Marys born, Wythenshawe bred, and apart from a 3 year hiatus when I lived in Hull (again like someone stated earlier on in the thread, Hull has an undeserved rep - wasnt as bad as people make out) I've lived 23 out of 26 in this wonderful place

cant see myself ever moving away

Born in St. Mary's in 1985.
Lived in Ryder Brow (Gorton) till '96
Now live in a small town in Devon

Miss Manchester every day though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.