Manuel Pellegrini (cont)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damocles said:
Mister Appointment said:
Just so we're clear. Who thinks a 3rd place finish and no trophy will get him sacked and who do those people propose the club approach to replace Pellegrini?

I think this all depends. I'd be willing to take a 3rd place spot and no trophy if I feel that the club has progressed in some way over this season. If we start picking up replacements for Lampard, Demichelis and Negredo from our EDS team and also allow Fernando and Mangala to bed in properly and start getting some form together, then I'd snatch the third place off of you tomorrow. I'd prefer that in front of another last minute title win to be honest as ashamed as I am to say that totally raggish comment.

I enjoyed this comment and I don't really know why. I think mainly because I would love to see a couple of young lads get a chance and show us what their made of, at the moment we wouldn't be any worse off if we replaced Angelino with Clichy, especially with Kolarov out

I still don't like the thought of us finishing 3rd tho, who exactly would we finish behind? Arsenal are a disgrace of a football team and there is no way we should be finishing behind them. I think at the moment I would say we will be runners up, I just hope we give a good account of ourselves in getting it.

Damocles said:
Mister Appointment said:
Just so we're clear. Who thinks a 3rd place finish and no trophy will get him sacked and who do those people propose the club approach to replace Pellegrini?

I think this all depends. I'd be willing to take a 3rd place spot and no trophy if I feel that the club has progressed in some way over this season. If we start picking up replacements for Lampard, Demichelis and Negredo from our EDS team and also allow Fernando and Mangala to bed in properly and start getting some form together, then I'd snatch the third place off of you tomorrow. I'd prefer that in front of another last minute title win to be honest as ashamed as I am to say that totally raggish comment.

I'm pretty comfortable with where we are in English football now. I don't think we need to win the league for the third out of four times to be seen as one of the contenders and the major players in the country. There are other priorities for us now and it is getting the squad together and start using our conveyor belt.

One of the reasons I warmed to Pellegrini is wholly because of this happy and calm atmosphere he brings to City when everybody around him is angry and flapping. With a man like him you would want to use his best attributes to our biggest advantage and seeing him blood a few young players into the squad, if only for 10 minutes at the end of a game, would be a major plus point in his column and might knock some of our more comfortable players out of their complacency

I agree mate, but do you see Pellegrini risking youngsters in his current position?

Unless playing youngsters gets forced onto him by Txiki I cannot see when a few will get an opportunity.

In my opinion, Pozo and Lopes should be in the squad now.

chris85mcfc said:
Damocles said:
Mister Appointment said:

I enjoyed this comment and I don't really know why. I think mainly because I would love to see a couple of young lads get a chance and show us what their made of, at the moment we wouldn't be any worse off if we replaced Angelino with Clichy, especially with Kolarov out

I still don't like the thought of us finishing 3rd tho, who exactly would we finish behind? Arsenal are a disgrace of a football team and there is no way we should be finishing behind them. I think at the moment I would say we will be runners up, I just hope we give a good account of ourselves in getting it.

Bit harsh on Arsenal that. I think they are where their spending suggests they should be.

In terms of blooding youngsters, I love it as a romantic ideal. However when I read posts from the people who watch the youth squads regularly there seems to be very few who are ready right now. It'd be a shame to destroy the confidence of a youngster by throwing them into the kind of environment PL matches are for us at present.

I do agree though about the league cup. For me I think we should always now that we've won it in recent history, take the Arsenal route and play our best young players rather than first team squad players.

Mister Appointment said:
chris85mcfc said:
Damocles said:

Bit harsh on Arsenal that. I think they are where their spending suggests they should be.

In terms of blooding youngsters, I love it as a romantic ideal. However when I read posts from the people who watch the youth squads regularly there seems to be very few who are ready right now. It'd be a shame to destroy the confidence of a youngster by throwing them into the kind of environment PL matches are for us at present.

I do agree though about the league cup. For me I think we should always now that we've won it in recent history, take the Arsenal route and play our best young players rather than first team squad players.

Come on, look at that Arsenal team. They have absolutely no back bone and finishing 4th is their mantra for every season, although I think they will finish 3rd this season.

I don't think any of them are ready for the permanent step up, but having someone like Pozo on the bench for Swansea while Dzeko is out surely wouldn't do any more harm than having Sinclair, even if he comes on for the last 5 minutes IF we are a few goals up. Just being in the squad would be a massive boost for those young lads

Mister Appointment said:

I watch our youth teams as much as I can and you're right that the only ones who are even close to the level of PL football are already out of loan at other places.

However, a final 10 minutes in the odd game or a bench appearance can't hurt here and there. We never know, some of the lads might get inspired by the opportunity and throw themselves into it and become better players. Now with Dzeko injured and no number 4, it could an opportunity for Pozo to get himself on the bench again or even a Devante Cole type if we thought Pozo was a bit similar to Aguero and Jovetic. Again, 10 minutes can't really hurt too much.

chris85mcfc said:
I don't think any of them are ready for the permanent step up, but having someone like Pozo on the bench for Swansea while Dzeko is out surely wouldn't do any more harm than having Sinclair, even if he comes on for the last 5 minutes IF we are a few goals up. Just being in the squad would be a massive boost for those young lads

Yeah but then that's just romanticism rather than any real footballing development.

If there's a plan for the players in the EDS and a route for them into the first team, which I believe there is, then I'm good with that. PV, MP, TB, and BM will know when the time is right for each player. We have to trust their judgment and people shouldn't fear the media narrative that kids will never get a chance at City. It's obvious how important the academy is to the owners and Khaldoon.

chris85mcfc said:
Mister Appointment said:
chris85mcfc said:

Come on, look at that Arsenal team. They have absolutely no back bone and finishing 4th is their mantra for every season, although I think they will finish 3rd this season.

Pozo is ready in my opinion, maybe not to start but to definitely be a substitute.

I really would like too see him on the bench for the game/s Edin misses.

Damocles said:
Mister Appointment said:

I watch our youth teams as much as I can and you're right that the only ones who are even close to the level of PL football are already out of loan at other places.

However, a final 10 minutes in the odd game or a bench appearance can't hurt here and there. We never know, some of the lads might get inspired by the opportunity and throw themselves into it and become better players. Now with Dzeko injured and no number 4, it could an opportunity for Pozo to get himself on the bench again or even a Devante Cole type if we thought Pozo was a bit similar to Aguero and Jovetic. Again, 10 minutes can't really hurt too much.

Fair point Damo - for me as I say in my post above, with regards the academy and how it functions alongside the first team - I have faith in everyone involved to do their level best to give the best kids a chance. Maybe it's harsh for me to say it's romanticism because your right, a 10 minute cameo could have a transformational effect on a players' motivation.

Mister Appointment said:
chris85mcfc said:

Yeah but then that's just romanticism rather than any real footballing development.

If there's a plan for the players in the EDS and a route for them into the first team, which I believe there is, then I'm good with that. PV, MP, TB, and BM will know when the time is right for each player. We have to trust their judgment and people shouldn't fear the media narrative that kids will never get a chance at City. It's obvious how important the academy is to the owners and Khaldoon.

Fair point, but there is nothing wrong with a cameo when it suits, especially with the injuries we have currently got

Even being around the squad can only be good for experience, it will be totally different to what their used to with the EDS and should stand them in good stead for the future

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.