Manuel Pellegrini (cont)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope Pellegrini can turn things around and stays at the club. Any Manager change can be a problem.

Just think if he loses his job at the end of the season we may then have maybe a month or 2 of looking for a new Manager\getting one in place which puts us in a bad starting positron being slow off he blocks in the transfer market.

A new Manager comes in and we are looking at him wanting to evaluate the players decide who he wants and does not, and by then the season is underway and we are starting from a weakened position possibly.

There is an argument that it may be better to sack a manager mid season rather than the end of the season, just to avoid being behind the starting grid come the summer. This though would be unfair on Pellegrini who deserves the opportunity to improve things by the end of the season.

cleavers said:
OB1 said:
Who remembers what is irrelevant. What is relevant here is that one cup defeat is far less relevant to judging a manager's pedigree than a whole season's worth of league games. Pellegrini lost to Watford at home last season and anyone who remembers that above his winning a double or remembers it more is a Muppet.
Wigan mate, we nearly lost to Watford....

See, already forgotten ;-)

chris85mcfc said:
cleavers said:
OB1 said:
Who remembers what is irrelevant. What is relevant here is that one cup defeat is far less relevant to judging a manager's pedigree than a whole season's worth of league games. Pellegrini lost to Watford at home last season and anyone who remembers that above his winning a double or remembers it more is a Muppet.
Wigan mate, we nearly lost to Watford....

He also said Pep was still at Barca a few posts ago

I just didn't want to be the pedantic one :)

Guilty.

cibaman said:
OB1 said:
Mister Appointment said:
Just so we're clear. Who thinks a 3rd place finish and no trophy will get him sacked and who do those people propose the club approach to replace Pellegrini?

I wouldn't know because until we see how we actually perform over the whole season and what luck befalls us and how other teams fare, it is not possible to judge.

Furthermore, a lot does depend on the plans that the club have. If, for instance, my dreams are to come true and Txiki has already had a nod and a wink from Pep that he will come to us after his contract expires at Barcelona, City are going to need someone new in the summer who is either explicitly or implicitly on a one year contract, which may cause recruitment (and other) issues. You could also question whether having an incumbent manager with only one year left on his contract causes issues. The world is not perfect though so sometimes you have to make the best of it.

The end of the season though is a long way off and you have to judge things as you go along but without ever pressing the panic button. The team are on a bad run of form and we do not know how long it will last but I would be appalled if our club decided it had been long enough to prompt a decision to sack the manager. If it continues, a point will come where a change has to be made but I could not say how long that should be; just that I do believe the club should be patient and be seen to be very patient.

I am in favour of contingency planning so the club should have a strategy for dealing with the early exit of the existing manager.

If we make decisions based on a nod and a wink from Guardiola we really are in trouble. He's turned us down once, unless we have his signature on a contract I wouldnt believe anything he told us.

He might decide at the last minute that he wants to stay at Bayern, take another sabbatical or, horror of horrors, decide that the chance to rescue United from mid table mediocrity is a more appealing challenge.

City, the club, the project whatever you want to call it was really in its infancy when Pep allegedly turned us down (United and Chelsea aswell apparently) so in fairness it may have looked a little early from his point of view. We are a different animal now, more established as a genuine big club (You can here the sniffles from Old Trafford) play great football and have a new training facility to die for for a manager who cut his teeth blooding kids from La Masia. He's made for us in my opinion.

To go to your point about nods and winks then I'd be amazed if we are not already looking for Manuel's successor already - the club has been forward thinking from day one, they have delivered on every front so for me Txiki and co surely must have someone lined up for the job, i wouldn't dismiss the possibility that they have already had assurances from Pep.

He's premier league bound for me, cant see him at Chelsea or Arsenal-would he pitch up at Old Toilet with his good friends TB & FS there over the road or would he come to the fastest growing club in European football?

cleavers said:
sam-caddick said:
I agree mate, but do you see Pellegrini risking youngsters in his current position?

Unless playing youngsters gets forced onto him by Txiki I cannot see when a few will get an opportunity.

In my opinion, Pozo and Lopes should be in the squad now.
Therein lies a problem, he won't, because he won't run the risk.

If he does "run the risk", and it fails, he'll be hounded by the very people who are already on his back, and those that keep saying play the youngsters too, and worse it could damage the youngsters more than the team.

The youngsters issue is easy enough for me, you only play them if you think they are good enough, or if you have absolutely no choice, but the coaching staff see them every day, most of us see them on the video, or at an EDS match for the few that go. I don't personally follow the youth much, I don't really have the time, but I've liked the look of Pozo on the few occasions I've seen him, so maybe we will see him get an chance.

On Lopes, I don't think he will ever be quite good enough for where we want to be, and he's not here anyway so can't be in the squad, hope to be proved wrong.

We're currently hanging out to dry a 22-year-old £32m defender, because his older and more experienced team-mates are not doing enough to enable his transition and protect him.

What makes anyone think a raw teenager will thrive any better in the current scheme of things?

tolmie's hairdoo said:
cleavers said:
sam-caddick said:
I agree mate, but do you see Pellegrini risking youngsters in his current position?

Unless playing youngsters gets forced onto him by Txiki I cannot see when a few will get an opportunity.

In my opinion, Pozo and Lopes should be in the squad now.

If he does "run the risk", and it fails, he'll be hounded by the very people who are already on his back, and those that keep saying play the youngsters too, and worse it could damage the youngsters more than the team.

The youngsters issue is easy enough for me, you only play them if you think they are good enough, or if you have absolutely no choice, but the coaching staff see them every day, most of us see them on the video, or at an EDS match for the few that go. I don't personally follow the youth much, I don't really have the time, but I've liked the look of Pozo on the few occasions I've seen him, so maybe we will see him get an chance.

On Lopes, I don't think he will ever be quite good enough for where we want to be, and he's not here anyway so can't be in the squad, hope to be proved wrong.

We're currently hanging out to dry a 22-year-old £32m defender, because his older and more experienced team-mates are not doing enough to enable his transition and protect him.

What makes anyone think a raw teenager will thrive any better in the current scheme of things?

Maybe Joleon was sold too soon.

Bluep*ss said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
cleavers said:

Edited for accuracy.

flb said:
cibaman said:
OB1 said:
I wouldn't know because until we see how we actually perform over the whole season and what luck befalls us and how other teams fare, it is not possible to judge.

Furthermore, a lot does depend on the plans that the club have. If, for instance, my dreams are to come true and Txiki has already had a nod and a wink from Pep that he will come to us after his contract expires at Barcelona, City are going to need someone new in the summer who is either explicitly or implicitly on a one year contract, which may cause recruitment (and other) issues. You could also question whether having an incumbent manager with only one year left on his contract causes issues. The world is not perfect though so sometimes you have to make the best of it.

The end of the season though is a long way off and you have to judge things as you go along but without ever pressing the panic button. The team are on a bad run of form and we do not know how long it will last but I would be appalled if our club decided it had been long enough to prompt a decision to sack the manager. If it continues, a point will come where a change has to be made but I could not say how long that should be; just that I do believe the club should be patient and be seen to be very patient.

I am in favour of contingency planning so the club should have a strategy for dealing with the early exit of the existing manager.

If we make decisions based on a nod and a wink from Guardiola we really are in trouble. He's turned us down once, unless we have his signature on a contract I wouldnt believe anything he told us.

He might decide at the last minute that he wants to stay at Bayern, take another sabbatical or, horror of horrors, decide that the chance to rescue United from mid table mediocrity is a more appealing challenge.

City, the club, the project whatever you want to call it was really in its infancy when Pep allegedly turned us down (United and Chelsea aswell apparently) so in fairness it may have looked a little early from his point of view. We are a different animal now, more established as a genuine big club (You can here the sniffles from Old Trafford) play great football and have a new training facility to die for for a manager who cut his teeth blooding kids from La Masia. He's made for us in my opinion.

To go to your point about nods and winks then I'd be amazed if we are not already looking for Manuel's successor already - the club has been forward thinking from day one, they have delivered on every front so for me Txiki and co surely must have someone lined up for the job, i wouldn't dismiss the possibility that they have already had assurances from Pep.

He's premier league bound for me, cant see him at Chelsea or Arsenal-would he pitch up at Old Toilet with his good friends TB & FS there over the road or would he come to the fastest growing club in European football?

I'm absolutely sure that we are looking for his successor and I'm sure that discussions will have been held with Guardiola. But I would be astonished if Guardiola has given anything more than a general indication at this stage, "Yes I'm interested" and I dont think he will commit himself for another 12 months at least. Why would he? We might appeal to him but we certainly aren't the only fish in the sea and so much can change in 12-18 months. He will surely want to keep his options open for some time.

I just dont think that any decisions about Pellegrini should be made based on the mere possibility that Guardiola might be available in 2016. Ideally Pellegrini will turn the current situation around to such an extent that at the end of the season we might even want to consider extending his contract. But if things dont get better, or get worse to the extent that his position is untenable then we should bite the bullet. The worst possible scenario would be for Pellegrini to keep the job for 2015/16 despite having lost the confidence of the hierarchy and players just because we are waiting for Pep.

Bluep*ss said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
cleavers said:

Another good player fucked off without ever getting a chance by Mr. Nice Guy Manuel.

Wio Gumflapdinand said:
Bluep*ss said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:

Another good player fucked off without ever getting a chance by Mr. Nice Guy Manuel.

Can't let this one go, bud.

A buffoon of a defender, slow, unable to pass in a team that fundamentally required it to do so.

For the record, Mancini knew this also and Lescott was out the door, regardless of the dig aimed towards Pellegrini.

But for the intervention of Aguero, Lescott would forever have been known as the man who cost City their first title in 44 years.

Seriously, there is so much romanticism around in the time of a bad run.

Same people who thought Richard Dunne was a good defender and thought he deserved Player of the Year ahead of an outstanding year from Joey Barton, who blotted his copy book by refusing to sign a new contract at one stage.

Lescott was a model professional, but that is the least I expect from anybody the club signs.

The signing of Demichelis helped us win the title last year, the man was rightly perceived to be a better fit for what Manuel required.

I would argue the present manager got it pretty much spot on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.