Manuel Pellegrini (cont)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damo,

The club's strategy to bring through more young players is a long-term one but I am afraid that the short-term pressure on results is always likely to take priority.

Pellegrini has been in charge for just 18 months and maybe you have got him pegged right but I think he will gradually make more use of our young players but he won't do it for the sake of it. He's proved himself to be a brave ballsy manager in many ways so I really doubt that he is not courageous enough to use young players if he has ones that he - and those around him - think(s) are ready. Although his options were limited, he didn't actually have to use Pozo when he did.

I think you are jumping the gun on this, even if you have had the concern for months, and even if you are not, the idea of changing our manager whilst his success rate is so high, to get more youth players in the team is preposterous so I hope that is not what you are suggesting.

[bigimg]http://media.themalaysianinsider.com/assets/uploads/articles/Pellegrini-AFP-111113.jpg[/bigimg]
*Worships*

Thank you Sheihk Mansour

Until we trust young players they will always play with an inferiority complex.

As Damocles mentions we need to be brave and start to trust them. If only because for a 17 year being 5 years and 2 successful loan spells away from the first team is a very different proposition to a few unfortunate injuries.

We trust a young lad today and the rest of them take note. Then next time they're more ready to slot in.

Damocles said:
mancity1 said:
[
Of course there are better managers with better records than MP that might play a bigger role in the youth hand as such but we couldn't get them to us after we had to get rid of RM and so it is.

MP has a duty to the first team and that's what he has to look after first and foremost.

Each week he has to play the best eleven available to get the results required.

This I disagree with. It's not the holisitc approach that Soriano and Begiristan have spoken about in the past and has been roundly mocked on here. We needed and still need a manager who has a longer term and more rounded view of things than "we need three points now so no risks". This is why I put the other thing in bold THIS WILL ALWAYS BE THE SAME. What people are suggesting then is that our Academy has got to produce players who are better than our starting 11. I don't think that that is possible for any Academy in the world, players who haven't played lots of first team football are always going to be worse than those who have, and farming them out for years at a time isn't the answer. Rekik is already making noises about not coming back because he feels much more at home in the Netherlands and is getting first team football there - probably because he's spent about 12 months in Manchester combined since we bought him and then loaned him to everybody but us. This is a young, homegrown player that we're going to lose/sell at the end of the season not because he isn't good enough for a squad place which he obviously is, but because he has no connection to us as a club

Whether we agree with him or not he will more likely listen to the likes of Viera than anyone else as to whether an under age player is ready for some first team action.

Then let's think about that for a second then.

If Ambrose isn't read for first team action then why is he in the first team instead of somebody who is? You've just said that he has a responsibility to get the best results on the day and surely it's a contradiction to have somebody on the bench that you have no possibility of using instead of somebody that you will?

If Ambrose is ready for first team action then why didn't he get it? Going back to your "has to get the best XI", then you're suggesting that Milner is a better striker than Ambrose

It doesn't work no matter which way you look at it from.

You have to have 6 on the bench and as I mentioned earlier I hope Clichy was just being rested as we had Sagna.

Three of them ( goalkeeper sub aside ) won't get any game time.

I think you are making too much of Ambrose not getting any game time today.

Not a question of who is the best striker or who should get game time if and when the game is settled.

More a question of who we put on to replace the likes of Silva and Milner etc in the second half that will most likely start on Friday again.

His subs in the second half were fine by me.

Navas in all probability won't start on Friday.

The wider issue of bringing youth into the side has been addressed by the likes of me and many others throughout the current ownerships tenure on this forum.

Of course we want and need the best of our youth to make an impact at the highest level despite what the likes of Marwood might say about how unlikely that is in the near term and how limited it will be in terms of numbers.

I'll be honest I thought he had lost the dressing room earlier on in the season and flashbacks of the 12/13 season came to my head but these last few weeks have shown what an amazing manager he is. Proper character he's shown and if he leads us to a title or the CL this season he'll go down greater than mancini.

Armaan said:
I'll be honest I thought he had lost the dressing room earlier on in the season and flashbacks of the 12/13 season came to my head but these last few weeks have shown what an amazing manager he is. Proper character he's shown and if he leads us to a title or the CL this season he'll go down greater than mancini.

Trophies are what he has been told to accumulate and 2 in his first season is a great start.

I do think he is on a three year mission all going to plan and to date it is.

To complain about youth not getting a decent run when clearly the youth is not ready or just not good enough to take the place of those who clearly are is a bit is inappropriate.

He relies on others to groom these players so that the best of them can eventually make an impact in the first team.

I have said for a long time we need to invest more heavily in youth and ensure the best of them remain with the club so that we can invest in the squad more prudently over time.

The owners know it and are acting accordingly.

OB1 said:
Damo,

The club's strategy to bring through more young players is a long-term one but I am afraid that the short-term pressure on results is always likely to take priority.

Pellegrini has been in charge for just 18 months and maybe you have got him pegged right but I think he will gradually make more use of our young players but he won't do it for the sake of it. He's proved himself to be a brave ballsy manager in many ways so I really doubt that he is not courageous enough to use young players if he has ones that he - and those around him - think(s) are ready. Although his options were limited, he didn't actually have to use Pozo when he did.

I think you are jumping the gun on this, even if you have had the concern for months, and even if you are not, the idea of changing our manager whilst his success rate is so high, to get more youth players in the team is preposterous so I hope that is not what you are suggesting.

Amen to all of that brother. During the course of the last 6 or 7 games we've revealed so many strings to our bow, as to make a complete mockery of the claims on here a few weeks ago that the manager was 'clueless', a 'stop gap', 'lacked a Plan B', had 'lost the dressing room' etc etc etc.

We've had ruthless efficiency (Southampton and Roma), patience (Bayern), grind (Everton and Leicester), breathtaking flair and class (Sunderland), and invention and determination (Palace). Some of the intricate passing and movement today to get in behind a resolutely parked bus, was of the absolute highest quality, and we've won the last 3 league games without a forward on the pitch and without conceding a single goal.

Yeh, we could have put Ambrose on for the last 10, but doubtless he was thrilled just to be in the first team squad anyway, we've got a transfer window coming up and needed to put Sinclair on display, and if we'd scored another goal we'd have gone top. I'm amazed that anyone could get worked up over that minor ommission in the face of the quality of our football at the moment. We all want to see youngsters given a chance and I believe that (and this is a call made on the briefest of exposures) Ambrose is good enough to get that chance fairly soon.

380667d1377274361-manual-pellegrini-engineer-city-tactic-re-creation-021513-soccer-pellegrini-pi-am_20130215144021632_660_320.jpg

He will lead us to more greatness!

Rags will wish they knew a way to hack us!

Another point, I am dubious abut the idea that anyone expects young players to be instantly better than first team reuglars. We don't play our best XI players week in week out. Equally, we didn't pitch Manga into the side instantly: he worked in training on getting used to how we play before making his debut. His form has been a bit up and down and I am pretty sure there have been times he could have been left out in favour of MDM but Pellegrini has used him anyway.
He may not be a youth player but he is a young player who has to prove his worth to the team and the principle is no different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.