Manuel Pellegrini (cont)

Status
Not open for further replies.
mosssideblue said:
de niro said:
anyone think he's a clown yet?

NO!. He has put teams out that should have mullered the opposition, not his fault if they cannot be arsed.

He is due some stick for some games, but on the whole, the players should look in the mirror.

Actually it is his fault if they cannot be arsed. He's paid not just to pick a team each game but to motivate them and get them arsed for the match.

If he can't do that. then his days are numbered.

Having said that, I don't believe effort levels are the problem anyway.

The thing is, I have some faith in Ferran as CEO and Txiki as DoF as whilst I might not agree with manner it happened, it was right Bob went when he did. Pellers (again imho) was needed last season as a steadying hand on the rudder so was absolutely the right appointment. Player recruitment-wise Txiki got players in the majority of us at the time were happy with. These two have excellent connections and are very well respected throughout football which in turn is good for City. The issue for me is that when you get a steady hand on the rudder, someone just to keep turning the handle at some point there will be a difficult situation and the handle turner is often ill equipped to deal with it. This often magnifies and exacerbates a problem and in the real world changes are usually made. I appreciate football is not the real world but the problem and solution remain the same.

I've heard pellegrini in a few interviews saying how keeping a clean sheet is very important but then sets the team out so attacking that we get caught out clean sheet out of the window. Pack the midfield keep it tight keep a clean sheet and 9 times out of 10 we will win as sergio is more than good enough on his own up top. Most of our best performances last year is when we were forced to play dzeko up front on his own due to injuries

strongbowholic said:
The issue for me is that when you get a steady hand on the rudder, someone just to keep turning the handle at some point there will be a difficult situation and the handle turner is often ill equipped to deal with it. This often magnifies and exacerbates a problem and in the real world changes are usually made. I appreciate football is not the real world but the problem and solution remain the same.

You deeply deeply underestimate the job Pellegrini did last season. Both mentally and physically he got the players to play to their maximum and even when all seemed to be lost and the heads could've dropped, he got them to go and keep winning games until the title came.

He did this whilst teaching them a totally different way to play than Mancini had them playing.

I appreciate that you don't rate him, but don't retrospectively try and make out that all he did was turn up and smile and be nice and everything else was just luck.

This thread's going to be comedy gold come the springtime IMO.

You have to admit though that last year we so nearly fucked up - liverpool totally capitulated at the end of the season. In reality ...... we should never have won that league.

blue ranger said:
You have to admit though that last year we so nearly fucked up - liverpool totally capitulated at the end of the season. In reality ...... we should never have won that league.

They won 12 of their last 14. They could have won 13 of their last 14 and we still would have won the league.

Losing to Chelsea at home isn't a capitulation. We should know that as we did it as well.

blue ranger said:

Liverpool didn't handle the pressure and we did, it's part of what you need in your make up as a group if you want to win the title. Same with the rags during Mancini's title winning season - they were such an experienced team too - couldn't handle the pressure in the title decider at the Etihad, they froze and we comfortably beat them.

I think we also need to decide as a group of supporters what our expectations are season on season and what should happen if they're not met. Lets say Pellegrini finishes 2nd and doesn't win a trophy - should he just be sacked? If he is then what? Next guy same thing - win something in your first season or you're out?

That's neither realistic nor do I think that's the way the owners and Soriano/Txiki will operate. You have to give people time to do their jobs. I realise that people will immediately point to Mancini and what happened with him, but as Exeter so succinctly put it earlier in the thread, his position was untenable as much for off field reasons as for what happened on the pitch.

Mister Appointment said:
strongbowholic said:
The issue for me is that when you get a steady hand on the rudder, someone just to keep turning the handle at some point there will be a difficult situation and the handle turner is often ill equipped to deal with it. This often magnifies and exacerbates a problem and in the real world changes are usually made. I appreciate football is not the real world but the problem and solution remain the same.

You deeply deeply underestimate the job Pellegrini did last season. Both mentally and physically he got the players to play to their maximum and even when all seemed to be lost and the heads could've dropped, he got them to go and keep winning games until the title came.

He did this whilst teaching them a totally different way to play than Mancini had them playing.

I appreciate that you don't rate him, but don't retrospectively try and make out that all he did was turn up and smile and be nice and everything else was just luck.

I've not said that in all fairness - I said he was the right appointment and a steadying hand on the rudder - I didn't say anywhere last season was down to luck and smiles and being nice. In fact I don't think I've given a critique of last season anywhere in that post?

Ultimately though, that's all he is at City isn't he: a handle turner? He's only keeping the seat warm until Pep is reunited with Ferran & Txiki; he is a lame duck in that respect isn't he? Or is this not our end game (getting Pep in for the start of next season)? I guess all he has to do this season (in reality) is ensure a top 4 finish.

Chilean Wenger.

strongbowholic said:
Mister Appointment said:
strongbowholic said:

I've not said that in all fairness - I said he was the right appointment and a steadying hand on the rudder - I didn't say anywhere last season was down to luck and smiles and being nice. In fact I don't think I've given a critique of last season anywhere in that post?

Ultimately though, that's all he is at City isn't he: a handle turner? He's only keeping the seat warm until Pep is reunited with Ferran & Txiki; he is a lame duck in that respect isn't he? Or is this not our end game (getting Pep in for the start of next season)? I guess all he has to do this season (in reality) is ensure a top 4 finish.

Chilean Wenger.

Chilean Keegan.

strongbowholic said:
Mister Appointment said:
strongbowholic said:

Chilean Wenger.

Every manager is only a stop gap until the next one.

As for Chilean Wenger. I've no problem with that. Last season at this point he was characterized as the Chilean Moyes.

No you didn't explicitly give a critique of last season but You've posted enough about Pellegrini for me to know you don't rate him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.