Manuel Pellegrini

Its just one of those established patterns when a manager is basically holding down a role performances tend to drop off, that's just a fact of what normally happens/ Look at Sven's last couple of months for another time it happened.

As for being excited about Pep coming, I'm sorry I don't know what you do but, change in the workplace is almost always viewed with some level of trepidation. Add to that the fact one of the senior players was Yaya who by pretty much all accounts wasn't a fan... Indeed its fair to say what followed in his first year at the club would indicate he wasn't especially well received by the players already there.
Again I can only relate it back to the closest precedent we know about - Bayern.

The players knew Heynkes was leaving. They knew Pep was coming. They went out and won a treble.

Players like Sterling and DeBruyne were clearly bought with the understanding that Pep was coming.

Pep had tried to buy David Silva in the past and was a vocal admirer of his. Fernandinho was tailor made for the number 6 role in a Pep team.

Far from trepidation, the bulk of the first team were probably relishing his arrival.

His first season we were incredible to watch. I thought he was going to take us to another level. His transfer window was very mixed, after his first season he was still backed and delivered Bony, Fernando and Mangala which didn't turn out so well. Sterling and De Bruyne arrived after that but how much input Pep had we will never know.

The semi final defeat to Real was a sore point but we were pretty awful that season. To go out 1-0 on aggregate when one goal could have taken us to the final felt really pathetic and we didn't even seem bothered about winning that game. As fans we would rather have lost 4-0 and tried but Pellegrini felt otherwise and we limped out.

Overall though he kept us competitive and managed to deliver a couple of trophies and take us to the CL semis for the first time and left the club in a decent position, doing what the board wanted.

I question how involved Pep was prior to arriving though as the club still spent money with Pellegrini and yet Pep had a squad that wasn't anywhere near what he needed in terms of implementing his style of play.

Average at best. That champions league semi final away leg in Madrid was fucking dreadful and sadly left a bitter taste in my mouth. He was the calm character they wanted in after Mancini and he fulfilled that role.
Both legs of that semi were awful. 15/16 season was shite, although Willy did at least win us some silverware against Liverpool. To sum Pellers up, he was a mix bag. Great first season, average second season, shite third season. I’ll never slag off a manager who wins us a league title and he did so in style.

The players knew Heynkes was leaving. They knew Pep was coming. They went out and won a treble.
You can always point to situations that don't comply to a norm, if this was something that offered a common boost teams would do it much more often than its done.
Far from trepidation, the bulk of the first team were probably relishing his arrival.
And yet only once in the last 12 years did we finish below Pep's first season.

Any narrative that suggests Pep's announcement didn't impact the team both in the last Pellegrini's season and into Pep's first isn't on solid ground.

Now that being said that does mean anything more than that. Pep is without question the best manager the club has ever had and given time he has produced our best team we have ever fielded. I would also add that irrespective of Pep's arrival I don't believe Pellegrini would have lasted into a further year....

Not sure if this was posted before. Today Real Betis became Copa del Rey winners for only the third time after defeating Valencia. Manuel Pellegrini is their coach. Congratulations old man! I will always love you, and I know you will always love our City.

images.jpg

Congratulations to him, nice achievement. But he was shite for us. Most of his tenure we played shite football and lethargic players lumbering around the pitch. At times we could not even string 2 passes together. Fuck me it was struggle.

Id like to see book of his tenure at City. It never felt quite right and players felt like they downed tools when they felt like it. I don't think he ever had control of the dressing room due to unprofessional attitudes of Hart, Toure, Nasri especially.

Shit signings from Txiki during his spell didn't help his cause either.

Congratulations to him, nice achievement. But he was shite for us. Most of his tenure we played shite football and lethargic players lumbering around the pitch. At times we could not even string 2 passes together. Fuck me it was struggle.

Id like to see book of his tenure at City. It never felt quite right and players felt like they downed tools when they felt like it. I don't think he ever had control of the dressing room due to unprofessional attitudes of Hart, Toure, Nasri especially.

While I agree with almost everything, and it really was time to go when he left I do feel that a title, a 2nd place, a cup and CL semi is an acceptable enough tenure. 2nd and third season was labourish but will never forget the football in 13/14. The pure entertainment of it I'm not even sure Pep has topped

We definitely did not play shite football.
Most of it was a damn site more exciting than what Pep served up on his first season.

Absolute rubbish post, maybe just keep repeating "I don't recall" endlessly, but beware there are tapes that prove how wrong you are.

He wasn't as bad as you claim,but he never stood a chance of being amazing as every man and his dog,within the club and beyond.....knew he was only ever a temporary measure until Pep arrived.Maybe some did take advantage and act unproffessionally as a consequence.
Given those almost impossible circumstances,he steered the ship pretty well.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.