Manuel Pellegrini

Always appreciated Pellegrini. The people at the top wanted Guardiola ages ago, and Pellegrini was a bridge for us until Pep's Bayern stint ended. I always had the feeling the club was very transparent with Pellegrini that Pep was our main goal, and he knew his role and tried his best with us. Proper gent and class act.

Obviously has his limits as a manager but there are still some fond times with him. Negredo + Aguero in the first season was electric.

Honestly, what is it with people wanting to denigrate our past managers?

Some people think Mancini was useless etc despite winning the FA Cup (first in decades), Premier League title (first in decades) and Community Shield (first in decades). Now I'm reading that Pellegrini wasn't that good!

He won 2 League Cups (first in decades) and a Premier League title with one a 'double'. I don't know about you, but I've been a fan since the early 80s and winning the PL and 2 LCs makes him A GREAT MANAGER in my eyes. As much as I liked Horton, KK, Royle etc, those guys come NOWHERE NEAR what Pellegrini achieved. Simple as that.

Honestly, when Pep goes there will be some on here saying he was overrated etc!! I don't ever remember any other club criticising past managers like we seem to do! Anyone ever hear united fans saying Fergie was average? Shankly poor? No chance.

I won't hear a bad word said about Mancini, Pellegrini or Pep. They are OUR legends who've won TROPHIES!

Pellers - average manager in every way.

Mancini was hated among players when he left - any bloke coming in would have lifted the squad first season. And Pellers did exactly that.

2nd season - Pellers seemed to have a penchant for promising something - but not following through. Players understandably lost trust in and respect for Pellers.

Pellers wasn't helped at all by the fact that he was basically hired as a stop-gap - while the club pursued Pep. In particular - I don't think that players ever respected Pellers - but as a consequence of City's pursuit of Pep, I can't blame Pellers for this.
===
Bottom line - Pellers seems like a nice guy. He won a trophy for us. And for that I'm grateful.

As a beloved manager though? Not for me. Not at all.

I was pondering this today, while I think unquestionably Pep has to be considered our greatest manager of all time and at least for me Mancini is someone I rate really highly for changing the culture at the club, making his teams almost the most-un "typical City" sides of all time and putting us at the very top table in terms of perception. At the time I thought we made a huge mistake letting him go...

What do people think of Pellegrini's legacy?

To kick off I believe he is vastly underrated the 2014 title team was in many ways superior to the 2012 team(although, yes in large part that was because of the experience in 2012)and the League Cup success over Sunderland was another underrated performance with clearly a good deal of it played under a hangover from the loss to Wigan the year before in the FA Cup final and against a team we relatively struggled against (for whatever reason). In many respects of the four managers since the take-over Pellegrini's was the hardest role to fill.... For Hughes it was a free hit at a job he wouldn't have got had the money been there. Mancini came in with a clear plan. Pellegrini was clearly not the man they wanted and was filling a gap until they got the person they wanted. Pep inherited a very successful team but one that was starting to age but.... has had an organization specifically built to support him(that's not meant as a knock on him).

Anyway I still can't make my mind up if I would place him above Mancini or not!!!
Mancini is above in my opinion. He genuinely loved us and vice versa! I loved that era as a whole more than Pellegrini's era.

Although I must say, I did like Pellegrini, just nowhere near as much as I loved Mancini....

#Hamburg‍‍

Not our greatest manager although he was far far better than many realised. But certainly our classiest, and most decent (Of recent years).
Won us three trophies, playing attractive football, at a time when he knew that the club didn’t want him, the press knew it, and every player knew it. The dignity that man showed was a credit to him and a testament to his innate decency.
Got us to a CL semi final, with a squad that Pep couldn’t get a tune out of the following year (not a dig at Pep, simply a fact), a feat the club was unable to replicate until some years and many hundreds of millions of pounds had been spent.
And he did all this whilst being called a fucking corpse by his own supporters.
He showed us all what it was to be a man.
And he showed so many of our online fans to be utter utter wankers of the very highest order.

A legend and a gentleman.
Very well delivered!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.