Manuel Pellegrini

Its the funny thing about football, this isn't an attack on you personally, but fans often look at things so one dimensionally... Take Sven's 1-0 victory against united when Geovanni scored. If you ask me I will remember how well we defended, Richards was huge that day(might have been his best game for the club) the team as a whole really stuck to the task well. However, if you ask a united supporter I bet they would spend their time talking about how crap they where that day.

The thing is, there are two teams playing every game, sometimes the other side executes better, for some reason you don't match up well to a specific team and their style, or sometimes you just run out of ideas playing a team. Then some other times its just luck, look at our games against Chelsea over the last 12 months we lose the final to them 1-0 and they are the best team in Europe, we play them in the league score a deflected goal and win 1-0 we are great Chelsea have all the problems, the truth is right now we are pretty evenly matched, the gap can be a deflected shot and missed penalty.

That Madrid team was one of the best in the world at the time, it wasn't Halifax. Should we have performed better over two legs, I would have hoped to do so and overall both ties ended up being dull and disappointing, but that's football if every game went to form and was played on paper it would be dreadfully boring.
They always do , cannot and will not give credit where credit is due

I think there was a steady downward trajectory with pellegrini, every season we got worse. The 1st year was great though, one of my favourite seasons and we were so free scoring. I think he benefited from inheriting Mancini's defence, and once it became his defence we started to suffer. I don't think Pellegrini was ideally suited to english football and in some ways was a bit lucky to get the city job. His time at West Ham painfully highlights this. In a funny way, I think his trajectory was quite similar to Martinez at everton. Overperforming in his first season thanks to reckless attacking play being mediated by the previous manager's organisation, and then just conceding more and more goals as time went on.

I think there was a steady downward trajectory with pellegrini, every season we got worse. The 1st year was great though, one of my favourite seasons and we were so free scoring. I think he benefited from inheriting Mancini's defence, and once it became his defence we started to suffer. I don't think Pellegrini was ideally suited to english football and in some ways was a bit lucky to get the city job. His time at West Ham painfully highlights this. In a funny way, I think his trajectory was quite similar to Martinez at everton. Overperforming in his first season thanks to reckless attacking play being mediated by the previous manager's organisation, and then just conceding more and more goals as time went on.
Absolutely spot on.

Just about kept us in the mix before the real target took over.
Doubt we'd have won another league title with him at the helm.

Just about kept us in the mix before the real target took over.
Doubt we'd have won another league title with him at the helm.
Peps tactics are a lot different of course, and his first season after taking over was a big transition for us, but I think we were on the brink of dropping out of the top 4 in Pellegrini's last season, one more and we may well have.

Edit: I am a big Pellegrini fan by the way, going on that amazing 20 game winning run and winning the league and league cup in his first season was so awesome!

Last edited:
We’ve had two other title races go to the final day. Yaya was class that season. Silva had many more consistent seasons than him though.
15/16 season is just an excuse. We found out what in the January time about pep. That point we wasn’t in a title race, also when Bayern announced pep mid season he will be their next manager the following year they won the treble. Easy excuse to justify failure.
Pretty sure we went top last week in January or within a couple of points, that season.

Last edited:
Pretty sure we went top last week in January or within a couple of points, that season.
yhp, we were 2nd 3 points behind Leicester after 23 games at that stage, beat Sunderland the following day. Then lost 3 in a row in the league and only won 5 of our 14 remaining league games to finish 15 points behind.

another season of pellers could have been a bad one but always thank him for the trophies.
signed fern & kdb too.
never forget the year he got us the double but brendan rodgers won manager of the year !

Great first season, then steadily got worse to a point where we looked a lazy shell of the team from his first season, only confirming 4th place on the final day of the season. Likes of Fernando, Magala & Bony being signed for big money on his watch didn't help him either.
My understanding is that MP had very little input into signings in the final two years of his tenure.

Negredo, Fernando, and Navas were, I believe, signed on his recommendation. Players like De Bruyne, Sterling, Mangala and indeed Bony, were very much Bergiristain signings, in preparation for Pep's arrival.

Players are scouted and researched in detail by the DoF team prior to signing. Some work out, some don't. That's football.

Don't blame MP for poor signings, and bear in mind that 5 years before he arrived, we didn't even dare dream of reaching a CL semi final.

He was a very good City manager.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.