Manuel Pellegrini

Not for me, he was a decent manager, had fantastic start but his methods clearly lost their impetus with the squad as he went on.

To finish 4th on the final day of the season with a squad containing Kompany, Fernandinho, Yaya Toure, David Silva, Kevin De Bruyne, Sergio Aguero & Raheem Sterling is a poor showing imo.
Players have to take some part of the blame also. Not all on Pellegrini.

The players themselves switched off when they knew he was gone, its only natural but they were all in cruise control waiting for Pep. There was several of them that knew they would be out of the door as well, they are hardly going to be at their best.

Not for me, he was a decent manager, had fantastic start but his methods clearly lost their impetus with the squad as he went on.

To finish 4th on the final day of the season with a squad containing Kompany, Fernandinho, Yaya Toure, David Silva, Kevin De Bruyne, Sergio Aguero & Raheem Sterling is a poor showing imo.

I remember very well the 1968/69 season, when we had a similarly fantastic squad. We won the FA Cup and finished 13th in the league.

I don't however recall people so readily dismissing Joe Mercer and Malcolm Allison as 'decent'. Perhaps they did. Thank God we didn't have the Internet in those days.

The whole squad knew MP was on his way half way through the season. Many of them put their feet up. As I've said before, a few of them were soon packed off by Pep, and a few phased out a bit more gradually.

The squad had a few players who were no more than spoiled brats, who took advantage of the poorly managed transition of coaches. It also had it's share of backstabbers. Just like any workplace really.

We qualified for the next CL, wonn the League Cup, and reached the CL semi final. If that's a poor showing, your expectations are far too high, and I'd suggest that you prepare yourself for a bit of a shock the season after Pep leaves.

I remember very well the 1968/69 season, when we had a similarly fantastic squad. We won the FA Cup and finished 13th in the league.

I don't however recall people so readily dismissing Joe Mercer and Malcolm Allison as 'decent'. Perhaps they did. Thank God we didn't have the Internet in those days.

The whole squad knew MP was on his way half way through the season. Many of them put their feet up. As I've said before, a few of them were soon packed off by Pep, and a few phased out a bit more gradually.

The squad had a few players who were no more than spoiled brats, who took advantage of the poorly managed transition of coaches. It also had it's share of backstabbers. Just like any workplace really.

We qualified for the next CL, wonn the League Cup, and reached the CL semi final. If that's a poor showing, your expectations are far too high, and I'd suggest that you prepare yourself for a bit of a shock the season after Pep leaves.
Disagree, the game is totally unrecognizable to that of the 1968/69 season, there a select few clubs who essentially share the pots between themselves now, unlike then when it was genuinely much more competitive.

I grant your point on the transition/announcement of Pep hindering Pellegrini, that is fair, but my point remains that from his first season in 13/14 the team steadily declined. Yaya Toure was walking around nearly a stone overweight for most of that last season and was selected weekly regardless, that's poor/weak management in my book. Not to mention us being tactically one dimensional, we lost 10 times in the league that season, the most since Hughes first season under the current owner.

He did do well in the CL in his last season fair enough, but as the club has stated publicly on record many times, our intention every year is to compete to win the biggest prizes across all competitions. Our managers have been backed with the necessary resources and infrastructure by the owners to achieve this since they arrived, so when we end up with a League Cup after your last 2 seasons at the helm, & stumbling into the CL places on the final day we have a right to criticize. I'd be disappointed with the same outcome after Pep left if his successor was equally as supported as him/MP & delivered those final 2 seasons. For example, we finished 2nd in 14/15 behind Chelsea but were miles off the pace, eliminated in the LC by Newcastle @ home & the FA Cup by Championship Middlesbrough, also at home.

Disagree, the game is totally unrecognizable to that of the 1968/69 season, there a select few clubs who essentially share the pots between themselves now, unlike then when it was genuinely much more competitive.

I grant your point on the transition/announcement of Pep hindering Pellegrini, that is fair, but my point remains that from his first season in 13/14 the team steadily declined. Yaya Toure was walking around nearly a stone overweight for most of that last season and was selected weekly regardless, that's poor/weak management in my book. Not to mention us being tactically one dimensional, we lost 10 times in the league that season, the most since Hughes first season under the current owner.

He did do well in the CL in his last season fair enough, but as the club has stated publicly on record many times, our intention every year is to compete to win the biggest prizes across all competitions. Our managers have been backed with the necessary resources and infrastructure by the owners to achieve this since they arrived, so when we end up with a League Cup after your last 2 seasons at the helm, & stumbling into the CL places on the final day we have a right to criticize. I'd be disappointed with the same outcome after Pep left if his successor was equally as supported as him/MP & delivered those final 2 seasons. For example, we finished 2nd in 14/15 behind Chelsea but were miles off the pace, eliminated in the LC by Newcastle @ home & the FA Cup by Championship Middlesbrough, also at home.
I think it's a matter of my expectations having been a bit lower than yours for the MP period. He was brought in to hold the fort and did. Everyone knew he wasn't going to be around long and, in my opinion, the players have to take a lot more responsibility for the results than you seem to think.

2013/14 was a hard act for any coach to follow. As I've said before, it remains my favourite season watching City. It's a shame that some players never applied themselves to the same level again, and some were hampered by injuries.

I think it's a matter of my expectations having been a bit lower than yours for the MP period. He was brought in to hold the fort and did. Everyone knew he wasn't going to be around long and, in my opinion, the players have to take a lot more responsibility for the results than you seem to think.

2013/14 was a hard act for any coach to follow. As I've said before, it remains my favourite season watching City. It's a shame that some players never applied themselves to the same level again, and some were hampered by injuries.
Don’t really get this “stop gap” and “wasn’t here for long” narrative that seems to be taken as read about Pellegrini.

He’s been a manager for over 30 years. He’s managed 15 clubs. Only one club (Villareal) he’s managed for a longer period than City.

In the last 40 years, only Keegan and Mancini had longer spells as City manager before he left.

He had 3 full seasons at City - a pretty lengthy stay in modern football, certainly by his, and City’s standards.

He just wasn’t very good.

Took over a magnificent squad of players, was given the budget to bring in some top quality signings that wasn’t afforded to Mancini in his final season.

Rodwell to Fernandinho must be up there with the biggest upgrades of all time!

Pellegrini seemed like a lovely fella, a kindly grandpa type. But he was a very limited manager and underachieved with the squad he had available to him.

It still rankles that we had Pellegrini managing for 3 years of David Silva, Yaya, Kompany and Aguero at their peak.

Don’t really get this “stop gap” and “wasn’t here for long” narrative that seems to be taken as read about Pellegrini.

He’s been a manager for over 30 years. He’s managed 15 clubs. Only one club (Villareal) he’s managed for a longer period than City.

In the last 40 years, only Keegan and Mancini had longer spells as City manager before he left.

He had 3 full seasons at City - a pretty lengthy stay in modern football, certainly by his, and City’s standards.

Took over a magnificent squad of players, was given the budget to bring in some top quality signings that wasn’t afforded to Mancini in his final season.

Pellegrini seemed like a lovely fella, a kindly grandpa type. But he was a very limited manager and underachieved with the squad he had available to him.

It still rankles that we had Pellegrini managing for 3 years of David Silva, Yaya, Kompany and Aguero at their peak.
Joe Royle was in charge for longer but I agree with your general point

Pep came and did no better for the first season.....thought Manuel's time at City was good to be fair

If Pep Guardiola had become available for the 2014/15 season, MP would have been 'moved on' to make way for him.
Every man and his dog knew that he was appointed to keep the seat warm for Pep, whether it would be for three years or three months. He was appointed as a stop gap, a caretaker manager, of that there can be no doubt.
Imagine trying to do a difficult job at a company (managing prima donna footballers is no picnic), knowing that you would be replaced as soon as someone else was ready to take over... Difficult situation? Add to that the fact that literally everyone connected with the company knows that you're not going to be there long...
Guardiola to City was nailed on for years, it was the worst kept secret in football.

Given the circumstances, Manuel Pellegrini did a bloody good job, and deserves more respect from some fans.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.