Marc-Andre ter Stegen

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's gonna be a tough sell mate, people don't want to see Harts deficiencies. Making light of his lack of ball skills and arguing he's a good shot stopper is all well and good - well it is if you've never watched a Guardiola team.
The simple fact is if he doesn't raise his game in that area he won't be our number one for long.
Has there ever been a goalkeeper who wasn't a good 'shot-stopper'? It kind of comes with the job description. However, he's actually lacking when it come to stopping shots from outside the box to his bottom left.

If Pep thinks his GK is a problem and needs replacing he's in for a shock when he sees the rest of the team

IMO money needs spending elsewhere

Pep's entire system is built around creating a numerical advantage in one area of the pitch. Having a goalkeeper who can play as a member of the backline will be just as important to pep as anyone else we buy, it's fundamental to creating a free player.

Money does need spending elsewhere, but unless we have a keeper who can play the right way then we'll be playing a man down.

The people in for a shock are a fair few fans who don't seem to grasp how completely different Guardiolas team will be.

I guess the Champions League starts don't mean anything huh?
Yes, when you were brought in to be a full time starter and haven't played in league games...it is a problem (injury did have an effect in the beginning obviously). He also made some glaring errors in CL play . Yes, had some good play v Bayern and the PK save but nothing worth 20 million dollars. A lot of Germany supporters will tell you he's not even the #2 or #3 GK for country going forward. Why would we want him #1. Save the money. This is just my opinion though and some people love him...

Yeah that's fine. Not many top sides have been built without a core of players who have been together for years, (either having graduated from the youth academy or joined in their early twenties).
Ironically Pep's two clubs (current and former) are prime examples. I hope he's aware of this and doesn't dispense immediately of our core: Zaba, Kompany and Hart in particular, and even tries to add to it by dipping into the CFA.

keeping the discussion just about these 3 players zabba decline in the last 2 years is very clear and vinny is injury prone hart looks the only one who could survive from these

Look at it this way, at the point in the season that we're at right now, would you want someone of Caballero's caliber in net or Ter Stegen? Those of you claiming we should just be going for someone of Willy's level don't seem to notice that swapping Willy for ter Stegen, regardless of who the starter will be, improves the squad.

Look at it this way, at the point in the season that we're at right now, would you want someone of Caballero's caliber in net or Ter Stegen? Those of you claiming we should just be going for someone of Willy's level don't seem to notice that swapping Willy for ter Stegen, regardless of who the starter will be, improves the squad.

Two ones make ........a two.We need a one and a good two.

Seem to remember Pearce needing his goalkeeper as an extra man.
Hope Pep does better than him.

http://www.theguardian.com/football...ransfer-manchester-city-marc-andre-ter-stegen

Joe Hart will stay put if Manchester City sign Marc-André ter Stegen

Joe Hart has no intention of seeking a transfer from Manchester City if Pep Guardiola buys Marc-André ter Stegen in the summer as he is determined to fight for his place next season.

Guardiola wants to make Ter Stegen one of his first signings from Barcelona, with the 23-year-old German likely to cost in the region of £20m.

But Hart is unconcerned at the prospect of Ter Stegen joining and believes he can establish himself as the No1 under Guardiola, who replaces Manuel Pellegrini on 1 July when the Spaniard leaves Bayern Munich to become head coach.

If he'd accept being number 2 it would be a great transfer.

However, if he'd accept being number 2 he'd not be leaving Barcelona.

Pep's first season is going to be a rebuild job either way & I'm not expecting miracles, so I'm of the opinion Hart should be given the year to prove he can play the distribution game, if it doesn't work out then so be it. Personally see it more as the defenders job to show for the ball & create space for the pass, as often the passes required by the GK aren't particularly hard to make & I'd assume Hart could kick a ball 20 yards pretty accurately if he actually has a target to hit (or I'd hope so).

Would feel a bit like buying De Bruyne this season, fantastic player but is he really what we needed to solve our problems? If we'd spent £50m on fullbacks & CM's instead I feel we'd have been better off (even if I'm delighted we have him for next season now).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.