Marc Cucurella

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand that perception of the buying / selling process - it’s a popular one but, with due respect, I hold that it doesn’t work like that.
I think you’ll find that football clubs carry out an assessment of needs exercise and decide a maximum price that they’ll pay (the buying club) and a minimum price that they’ll sell for (the selling club obviously).
If those figures meet then the player gets bought / sold and if they don’t then the selling clubs valuation is above the market value, as is often the case, and a sale doesn’t happen.
The reason for the poker playing between the parties is that there can be quite a wide crossover so that both clubs will want to maximise their position (buying club wanting to pay less than their maximum and selling club wanting to receive more than their minimum) - though it can still ultimately transpire that there’s a gap between the two.
The added complexity is that the clubs valuations can fluctuate during the process due to matters like the replacement player being more or less expensive than anticipated or the purchasing clubs alternative being more / less expensive than anticipated or simply not available etc.
The days of chairmen spitting in their palms and shaking hands on an artificial mid-point value (we want to pay 30 you want to receive 50 so let’s call it 40) are long gone - if they ever existed in the first place except in movies.
True, but there is a human factor here. Clubs don’t want to seen as a soft touch and players want to maximise their potential, their success and their earnings. As much as the negotiating parties want to pour all the entities into a graphical mathematical formulae and then hit the maxima it doesn’t always work like that.

I said nothing about the club been entitled, just some of our fan base.
I get it...but every team has some of that...you can't think we wouldn't...that would be unrealistic and awfully idealistic IMO...

I’ll tell you what it does mean…. He will be stopping at Brighton. And any potential signings you make will think twice - if they think Bloom won’t let them move on for a fair price to fulfil CL ambitions etc. Brighton paid £15m a year ago… £40m is a more than fair price. I wouldn’t want City to pay £50m. I’d want us to walk away because if we allow Bloom to take the piss others will follow.
I don't think it follows. This is an unusual situation. A guy everyone thought was okay (I e. A 15 million player) turns out to be top notch ( near the top on many defensive stategories.

So his value has clearly jumped. The fact that he has a long contract also means his current team can value him at a prohibitive price. I.e. above his normal worth.

So 50 million might be around where that peohibive price is.

Personally, I think around 42-45 plus add ons is where it likely would get done.

But I'm not worried. My sense is it will get done no matter what.

My confidence on this happening borders on the arrogant. It doesn't even cross my mind that it might not :)

Am I reading too much into cancelo starting at RB and Wilson Esbrand and LB with Walker on the bench? That says to me that if we had signed or go sign Cucurella that he will start LB with Cancelo RB? Considering Cancelo was LB and Walker RB last season and both were available fir the game it seems pep is planning for Cucurella to start.
Could be that, or could be that Pep wants to give JWE a ton of game time to get him ready in case he needs to get thrown to the wolves.

Am I reading too much into cancelo starting at RB and Wilson Esbrand and LB with Walker on the bench? That says to me that if we had signed or go sign Cucurella that he will start LB with Cancelo RB? Considering Cancelo was LB and Walker RB last season and both were available fir the game it seems pep is planning for Cucurella to start.
I think it had more to do with that Kyle played 90 mins the previous game and Cancelo/JWE only played 45 mins each, giving them all a similar amount of minutes in total over these 2 games.

Gone are the days we will be held to ransom by greedy chairmen demanding silly money.
It didn’t work out for Kane and it won’t for Cucurella.
There is no way in God’s world we are desperate yet.
Plenty of water to go under the bridge on this one but I can guarantee 50m plus won’t happen for this guy.
I don't think some of our fans understand how this works. Their chairman isn't being greedy. He doesn't want to sell his player. But he understands he can't just say 'No!' The best he can do make the cost painful for whoever wants him. Same with Kane. Spurs preferred Kane staying, and if you want him, you'd have to overpay for it. Walking away is the outcome they prefer. But barring that, they make sure you overpay.

It's exactly what I'd expect Txiki to do if someone came in for Foden or Kevin.

It will be 200 million. Not because either is worth that, but because it's prohibitive. And that's what anyone MUST pay to get our best.

Getting all pissy that other teams are doing that with their best player is strange.

Doesn't say that to me. It says that Pep's trying things out — as is his wont in no-risk situations — for a scenario in which we have four players for two positions, one of whom can play in both of them. That's all I'd conclude, personally. Walker's as fit as a fiddle. There's no way he's suddenly going to become back-up to Cancelo. On the other hand, there's no way he's playing 50+ matches this coming season. No-one will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.