Marc Cucurella

Status
Not open for further replies.
People can bang on about how well we are run as much as they want but we haven't had a proper left back for ages and it is obvious we both need one and want one. Nothing about this situation is what the club would like it to be.

There is a line between not overpaying and getting what the team needs, that line is not straight and bends differently every window. Someone has decided it's worth paying 100M for Grealish in a position we didn't need urgent reinforcement in but not 50M for Cucurella. Let's not even bring our previous defensive reinforcements into highlight here. There is no sense to be made here regarding what the club will or won't pay.

It's all good saying let's not overpay but there's also a scenario (a decent chance scenario!) that we will move for a backup option now, someone like Sosa for maybe 15-20M and then in a year we will be back here after that risk doesn't work out and something will tell me then we would pay that extra.

Looking transfers in general and our history my opinion is that 50M for Cucurella is not an outrageous price, I'm sure there's some middle ground with 40+10 that Brighton would work with too. I wouldn't raise an eyebrow for that price, I did raise for Grealish and for example Nunez to Pool. United just signed Martinez for like 55M and if anything I would consider Cucurella better.

Ronaldo, Messi etc are superstars, to put Grealish in that category is embarrassing.

Grealish could be a very good top quality player but even to do that he has a lot of work to do.

100m was a crazy fee to pay and it was always going to come back to us in terms of future signings, but what it did show was the club would pay whatever it takes to get a player the manager clearly wanted.

That makes the decision not to pay Cucurella asking price slightly confusing, do the club not rate him that highly or do they have doubts about him fitting in long term?
The price we paid for Jack Grealish (time will tell whether it was too much or not) doesn’t have a whole lot to do with how much Cucurella is worth.

Yep but to be fairZinchrnko isn’t a left back it’s just Pep is a genius and when Ake plays there he has been fine but if we willing to walk away with a month left in the window means we definitely going go to buy a left back am relax, would be great to get Cucurlla who looks the business but we want be held to to ransom!
Mate you're right but I feel there are definitely alternatives out there that we can get, and we weakened our own position in this deal by selling Zinchenko first, and we already knew Brighton were not going to lower their ask.

The price we paid for Jack Grealish (time will tell whether it was too much or not) doesn’t have a whole lot to do with how much Cucurella is worth.
It sets a mark that other clubs will use, we have paid over 50m for each of our last 3 full backs, 1 was a glorious success, 1 very good and the other a total disaster.

We overpaid however you judge it, he was never worth that, but Villa cleverly put it in his contract and he is clearly a player Pep wanted at all costs.

It sets a mark that other clubs will use, we have paid over 50m for each of our last 3 full backs, 1 was a glorious success, 1 very good and the other a total disaster.

i think thats on the money mate. We have form for spending £50m on full backs and defenders in general? Brighton are doing no different than city`s attitude to transfers? Bring us this fee and you can go!

I wouldn’t be surprised if this starts turning into another Mahrez situation. We ended up walking away from the initial Leicester valuation and signed him later for a compromised valuation

I don’t condone players refusing to train or strike but all the same if Cucurella is intent on leaving, it will affect the player and performance at Brighton.

As City produce players of great potential then I don’t see Brighton being an option for them as what Southampton currently are.

Brighton could quite easily be one of those clubs who get in a tailspin and end up being relegated. We have seen clubs and Burnley are an example of where they are established and then drop out of the league when everyone thought they had the formula to stay up.

I am not convinced City will go for another fullback such as Grimaldo, it is more likely to be someone that has not been mentioned or they will just sit and bide their time

Every club has their own valuation, if negotiations can’t bring them to a closer one then so be it. There is always other options wether it be now or in future transfer windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.