Marc Cucurella

Status
Not open for further replies.
Worringly if/when we walk away from this, who is out there that can slot in to the system with a decent amount of experience (granted Cucurella only has a season in the prem) that isn’t going to be subject to City tax, especially if the selling club knows we’ve walk edaway from the deal. We’ll have our pants pulled down regardless so although I hate it surely it’s better for it to happen with a player who Pep actively wants and sees as his number 1 choice
Think this is quite a good point, now that this has caught so much public attention I can imagine other clubs going "Well Man City were willing to pay £40m for Cucu, we can get at least that for our LB too!" so maybe coughing up the extra for someone that Pep clearly wants and believes will fit (which I massively agree with) is the right call.

Enjoyed Webster there yesterday, will see who ends up playing at Old Trafford on Sunday since this doesn't seem like it'll be done in the next week. If Cucurella doesn't even feature on the bench, I imagine it's Kane 2.0 and until he's gone or the window's closed, he won't be involved.

Think this is quite a good point, now that this has caught so much public attention I can imagine other clubs going "Well Man City were willing to pay £40m for Cucu, we can get at least that for our LB too!" so maybe coughing up the extra for someone that Pep clearly wants and believes will fit (which I massively agree with) is the right call.

Enjoyed Webster there yesterday, will see who ends up playing at Old Trafford on Sunday since this doesn't seem like it'll be done in the next week. If Cucurella doesn't even feature on the bench, I imagine it's Kane 2.0 and until he's gone or the window's closed, he won't be involved.
Re your first para, I’m not so sure.
I actually think it will send out a different message; that City aren’t prepared to be pressured into paying more than they think that individual player is worth to them. I don’t think it will be viewed as a carte blanche £40M bids across the board.
(Though of course, as we’ve seen, there’s no accounting for the views of individual chairmen/boards!). After all I think we know if for example Bellingham came on the market we’d find two or three times that amount. It really does depend on which player it is imho.

We spent £45m on a backup defensive mid a few weeks ago. If you think that's good value for money, I have no idea how you can have a problem with the idea of paying £5m more for a starter left back.

As much as I do get the club wanting to draw a line under the precedent we've already set for ourselves, I don't get why this particular move is the one where we decide to be frugal. Especially when you consider the fact that we've just sold our only left sided full back.

Just a bit weird.
We bought Phillips for a.price we thought was reasonable. We'll do the same for Cucarella or a deal won't be done.

There's no difference between the two.

I’m gutted for him. He’ll be stuck on a contract paying him several million a year to play football. Devastated.
All relative though ain’t it

Bet he’s gutted. One short career and he’s looking like he might miss out on the one and only opportunity to play for the best team in the world for the greatest Catalonian coach in history.. a dream come true for a lad like him I’d imagine

I dont know either where the £35m has come from. The first time i knew how much Brighton wanted was ehen it came out your offer was £30m and a tweet saying £20m was the difference.
So the £35m is not real but the £50m is? Your club and our club have not stated anything as fact, but both have used their mouth pieces in the media to leak info which is the norm. You can’t claim one figure is false though but the other as gospel! In reality nobody knows bar the directors on both sides and his agent.
Chances are the figures being touted are close to the mark so as I’ve said earlier, you’re moving the goal posts and taking the piss. The mistake Brighton and Bloom are making is we don’t need Cucurella, we need a LB. There’s a huge difference there in that there are other options available with some being linked at much lower prices. We also don’t fancy him because we think he’s a world beater, we fancy him because there’s the convenience for us that he has a years experience in the league, but again it’s not a deal breaker for us.
Pep clearly felt he’s raw enough to mould in to the player he really wants, he’s young enough to teach the Pep way and grow in to a world class player under him, but to think he’s already there after 1 international cap and a half decent season in a mid table team is laughable. His achievements to date are Brightons player of the season, that’s far from a £50m player. I think someone said earlier the highest price for a LB currently is £50m so are we suggesting he’s now the world number 1 in that position? Again that’s laughable and the top players in that position going for that money are winners both at domestic and international level already, not POTS winners only.
Bloom may fancy himself as a poker player but even the best ones go bust sometimes and crash out on the bubble. If he continues to try and play Billy big bollocks though he’ll find his club back in the Championship. There’s 4-5 teams that should of finished above you last season but had stinkers and most of them have bought this window, add in Forest are up for it and you could find you drop dangerously close this season unless you invest in the squad.
I, as I’m sure you do for different reasons, hope we just walk away now. It’s just not worth the drama dealing with Bloom, we are wasting time we could be spending on other targets and the fact we’ve known for a while your bottom number (but still refuse to meet it yet up our bids a little anyway to keep the engagement going) suggests we maybe using you just as much as you think you’re using us so we can do another deal on the quiet (It wouldn't be the first time).

Agree with the post above and the valuation can’t be against White who was an overpay at a more expensive position and homegrown. Brighton are asking for “best LB in the world” money and that can’t be justified. They should be offering best LB in the world wages to Cucurella but mysteriously that won’t happen.

They are of course not obligated to sell to us but as many have stated it doesn’t seem worth it to me to burn your relationship with your best player and tell a bunch of agents that your owner will hold a player hostage so he can look like a hard man.

Nonetheless an opening bid that is too low and a counter that is too high is of course completely normal. It’s everything that (hasn’t) happened since that is peculiar and Brighton will likely feel far more effects from this than we will.

Lots of superleague elitist attitudes and unwarranted assumptions on this thread. Along way from home, all in a foreign language. Trossard replaced Cucu as left wing back for some of the game against Espanyol.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.