Mark Hughes as manager

I was against his sacking at the time and felt he was treated appallingly by the club and a large contingent of our fans.
Hughes had no tactical nous whatever, that 3-0 mauling at WHL the midweek before his sacking is still hard to forget. The ageing Sylvinho up against probably the quickest winger in the league at the time (Lennon) with bone-idle Robinho as his "protection" on the left wing. "Appallingly treated" - kept on too long, more like.

Hughes had no tactical nous whatever, that 3-0 mauling at WHL the midweek before his sacking is still hard to forget. The ageing Sylvinho up against probably the quickest winger in the league at the time (Lennon) with bone-idle Robinho as his "protection" on the left wing. "Appallingly treated" - kept on too long, more like.

Sylvinho had played in the Champions League Final in the best football team ever just 6 months before this. He was a shrewd signing but unfortunately time waits for no man, his legs had gone.

Plenty more City managers have been soundly beaten at White Hart Lane since. For me it was the way Hughes was dismissed that made me feel for him at the time, very cloak and dagger by the club especially removing him on a matchday. There's no loyalty in football though, and Bobby Manc sorted the defence out almost immediately and ruffled the right feathers. In hindsight it was a good decision and appointment, albeit a similar ending to Hughes for Roberto, let's not forget that.

I didn’t want Hughes as our manager when he was touted and then announced but didn’t mind him when he was the manager too much. He made some really good signings and we played some brilliant stuff in some games and were exciting to watch at times.

We had a long run of shit results against Liverpool and Arsenal that went back decades. Hughes was the manager who started ticking off Arsenal from that list.

Last edited by a moderator:
We also went toe-to-toe with very good Chelsea and United teams a few times, under Hughes.

And he got us to our first semifinal in my lifetime.

Never understood the sheer hatred for him. If it's because he played for Trafford's finest, why not the same for Denis Law, or Carlos Tevez, or Terry Cooke? And if it's because he underperformed as our manager, I could name quite a few others who were markedly worse.

Never understood the sheer hatred for him. If it's because he played for Trafford's finest, why not the same for Denis Law, or Carlos Tevez, or Terry Cooke? And if it's because he underperformed as our manager, I could name quite a few others who were markedly worse.

Wilson or Giggs debut his reaction to the goal , I fucking hate Mark Hughes proper dirty red **** can’t believe he managed us . I was gutted when he got appointed and near enough every game I went to weather we where winning or drawing I gave him shit if you where sat in 217 at the time you would remember me .

I will always remember that look in his eye during post match interview of City game the day before the Sheikh Mansour takeover...

Deffo a 'I know sommat you dont know' look.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.