Marseille (a) post match thread

What a composed & professional performance that was. Dias & Laporte look so comfortable next to each other, Zinchenko gave good balance at left back, KDB looks fresher & energised after his rest & Foden & Torres pressed aggressively from the front & looked to run in behind & stretch their back line. Also always prefer Raheem playing from the right especially with KDB slipping in him, great start to our Champs League campaign & the aim must be to carry that on into the league now.

Great result that and fully deserved.

Defensively I thought that's the best I've seen us all season. Walker was - as usual - superb and Dias and Laporte looked very solid. Zinchenko did well and could've scored. I was also impressed that we are starting to look dangerous at corners!! I can't remember feeling excited at corners for a long while but Dias looks the part to me. A footballer who can dominate his opponent. I know many - me included - wanted Koulibaly but I do think we've unearthed a bit of a gem in Dias.

I thought Gundogan was very good tonight, despite my worries about him and Rodri. Great build up and goal. Foden did well and I'm sure his like the Duracell bunny - never stops!

Sterling was superb as well - his movement and set up for Gundogan was great. I still can't believe he was onside for his goal though! Probably the only favour we will get from VAR although we didn't need it.

Overall, a very good night and can't ask for anything more. Marseille are just another typical European team though. Boring, cheating, making every foul look like they've stepped on a landmine etc. I do wish we could just win this competition to get it out of our blood. It's a bloody awful spectacle and I'd rather watch a PL game over this any day of the week. How people can get excited about playing Porto and Marseille is beyond me.

Let's hope now that with Laporte and Dias we can start to build a solid defence and really kick on.

I Predicted 4:0 and the dynamic duo being very good and I was almost on the spot. Zinchenko as a link between Foden and Gundo was really effective on the left side. Never let them bomb behind us and we continually kept probing and pushing. I think this is the best way playing against back five. This was like one of the games from our champion seasons. And Rodri left on his own in his 30-yads circle looks so much more assured. The whole team played well and at times, that ball was zipping around like from our best days.

What would everyone say our first choice 11 is now?

Jesus for Gundogan/Rodri and then Foden in the midfield 3 is probably what I would choose but haven't seen enough of Foden KBD in the two 8 positions to know if it really works.
For me it’s clear, except for left back. In games like tonight, Zinchenko is a great option. But in others he’s a disaster. Mendy can be great in certain games too, and is an overlapping option for when Torres in on the left cutting inside. Then Ake is the best ‘stay back and be solid’ option. Not the best link up (Zinchenko) or overlapping (Mendy) but he is a solid option for certain opposition. Cancelo too is showing some good things.

Ederson
Depends who we are playing
Laporte
Dias
Walker
Rodri
Foden
De Bruyne
Ferran
Sterling
Jesus

That is our best team when everyone is fit.

If ever there was a positive about Covid, it looks like it’s made Gundo lose some timber! Thought he looked much leaner and got round the pitch miles better than I’ve seen him in a long time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.