Martin Demichelis

Status
Not open for further replies.
MrE said:
I probably have the wrong thread here and I do not want to appear to be blaming Martin

Does anyone realise our teams goals against 20 is the same as Hull City and only 2 better than West Ham who are fourth bottom.

Hardly League winning defending. I know loads of reasons, injuries, form, etc etc. but with January coming up how do fans want to see Pellers bolster the squad. I think we need to strengthen at the back, but get consistency of playing personnel.

The basis of the defence has stood us in good stead for the last few years conceding fewest goals, so is the present run a freak or is it early warning that changes are needed.
We don't need our defenders to defend. Its the new black don'tcha know.

MrE said:
I probably have the wrong thread here and I do not want to appear to be blaming Martin

Does anyone realise our teams goals against 20 is the same as Hull City and only 2 better than West Ham who are fourth bottom.

Hardly League winning defending. I know loads of reasons, injuries, form, etc etc. but with January coming up how do fans want to see Pellers bolster the squad. I think we need to strengthen at the back, but get consistency of playing personnel.

The basis of the defence has stood us in good stead for the last few years conceding fewest goals, so is the present run a freak or is it early warning that changes are needed.

We are playing so much more attacking style now that there is bound to be a trade off with more goals conceded, it would be unreasonable not to expect that so we are unlikely to have the best defence in the division. Personally the argument for me is about balance, at what point do you sacrifice a little bit of the attacking play to make us a bit tighter at the back? The way we are playing is magnificent at times but it does allow the opposition a sniff against us, even when we are a goal or two up. If we could just get the balance right then I reckon we could be utterly relentless and most teams wouldn't have a prayer against us home or away. We would walk the league.

I think he's a decent centre half for the short term. He is able to deliver, although prone to the odd mistake, but is still solid alongside Kompany.

Lancet Fluke said:
MrE said:

We are playing so much more attacking style now that there is bound to be a trade off with more goals conceded, it would be unreasonable not to expect that so we are unlikely to have the best defence in the division. Personally the argument for me is about balance, at what point do you sacrifice a little bit of the attacking play to make us a bit tighter at the back? The way we are playing is magnificent at times but it does allow the opposition a sniff against us, even when we are a goal or two up. If we could just get the balance right then I reckon we could be utterly relentless and most teams wouldn't have a prayer against us home or away. We would walk the league.

Point taken, but probably the keeper in me telling me that titles are won from the back. I know we have had no consistency there this year though so am not 100% sure whether we should continue to muddle through and have trust in what we have got or strengthen. All that said I think we should offload Dzeko and get a new third choice forward as a matter of urgency. With Aguero out till end Jan / Feb the third forward needs guile, Negredo is a much better target man when we want that type of player. If anything happens to Negredo whilst serge is out I really dont fancy our title chances relying on Dzeko to continue that attacking style and keep the pressure of the defence.

malaprop said:
Gaylord du Bois said:
wattle said:
Omg. Been watching Hanson on motd have we lads. Get a grip. If you can't see wat demachelis brings to the team then I pity you being sucked into the Hanson bull *hit. Terrible excuse for loyal fans
Is it a dodecahedron?

Aren't they extinct?
I wish Hanson was!!!!!

I think we are three players away from being unstoppable.

A Left back, a centre half and a midfielder to rotate with Yaya and Fernandinho so needs to be as good as these.

The rest looks after itself.

If we buy at all in the next two windows, these are the areas we should address.

Do that and we can win this league for the next 3/4 years and add a Champions League to the pile.

We are a Yaya/fernandinho injury or Kompany injury away from it costing us.

Demichelis is ok as a back up but too error probe to start regularly for me.

Just seen MOTD and Hansen's assessment. I think he's spot on - Demechelis dives in way too much and falls asleep too often during games. When everyone is fit I'd personally have Nasty & Lescott ahead of him...but hey, we dont have those options so for now he's better than Boyata! :) Can't really criticise the guy too much, he just doesnt happen to be the level of Komps/Nasty etc so we just gotta live with it for now.

ChichesterBlue said:
Just seen MOTD and Hansen's assessment. I think he's spot on - Demechelis dives in way too much and falls asleep too often during games. When everyone is fit I'd personally have Nasty & Lescott ahead of him...but hey, we dont have those options so for now he's better than Boyata! :) Can't really criticise the guy too much, he just doesnt happen to be the level of Komps/Nasty etc so we just gotta live with it for now.

You are right but don't forget in the last 3 games he has set up 3 goals too, I agree he is there to defend but they way we play it is a bonus, I think if Nasty plays we will be tighter but while we are winning does it matter. If we score 3/4/5/6 goals every game we wont lose many.

Millwallawayveteran1988 said:
I think we are three players away from being unstoppable.

A Left back, a centre half and a midfielder to rotate with Yaya and Fernandinho so needs to be as good as these.

The rest looks after itself.

If we buy at all in the next two windows, these are the areas we should address.

Do that and we can win this league for the next 3/4 years and add a Champions League to the pile.

We are a Yaya/fernandinho injury or Kompany injury away from it costing us.

Demichelis is ok as a back up but too error probe to start regularly for me.
I think this too but I think Demichelis was an excellent signing for cover and brings a lot more positive to the team than negative .

Blumers Bloomers said:
Just goes to show you can edit the footage from 90 minutes of football anyway you like - I'm sure Demichelis could have been shown to be a world beater if they'd shown everything he'd done well.

And he actually did far more right than wrong. However, the room for error is that much smaller when you are playing in defence for this City team.

He is a bit impetuous at times but I think Pellegrini wants his defenders to try and knick balls by defending on the front foot.

Overall, I like Demichelis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.