Martin Demichelis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just read an old Honigstein blog from the Guardian....

On the eve of the World Cup quarter-final between Germany and Argentina, Martin Demichelis helpfully reminded his critics that there are defenders who are even worse than him. "Seeing the way [John] Terry played against Germany, if I was Terry I wouldn't be able to go back to my country," the 29-year-old claimed. This, it turned out, was another one of his grave misjudgments. "Micho" was so useless in Cape Town - worse than in the Champions League final a month before - that he will now be gladly allowed to go back to his country and stay there for good. The Bayern manager, Louis van Gaal, certainly seemed unperturbed when the centre-back refused to sit on the bench against Wolfsburg; the Dutchman simply granted his wish and excluded him from the squad altogether. While the Double winners were busy breaking Steve McClaren's heart with a typical Bavarian combination of superior quality, lapses of concentration and last-minute-luck (or never-say-die-attitude), the only pony-tailed axeman who can make Francis Rossi look talented talked to Bild. "The truth is that a cycle is ending and it's better for both sides if we go separate ways," he said, "I don't think it is fair to remain with the team if the signs point to separation." Atlético Madrid are reportedly desperate enough to take the impulsive South American off Bayern's hands.

-------------------------

About the end of Micho at Bayern...

After his fine debut at Stamford Bridge, Demichelis seems to have gone off the boil somewhat.True, his cultured distribution is way beyond Lescott's level but, there again, I doubt whether Joleon would have been outmuscled by Anichebe like Demich was. Nastasic, who's both calm and robust, now seems clearly better than either of them.

grahamgor said:
Nastasic, who's both calm and robust, now seems clearly better than either of them.

I think that is absolutely correct. It will be very interesting to see if Pellegrini sees VK and Nastasic as his first choice pair when everyone is fit or whether Demichelis will get the nod being "his man" as it were.

I know this is a Demichelis thread, but the last few posts reminded me how utterly shite we have been to Joleon Lescott. We won the league with him and Kompany defending in some style. In the games where we drew or lost, I seem to remember all of us cursing at our lack or pace and width and inability to break the park-the-bus sides down. Not our calamity defending, because in the main, we didn't do any of that. We had the best defence in the league, season in, season out. OK a few shaky moments here and there, but in the main, rock solid defending from both Kompany AND Lescott. In fact some stand out performances from Joleon as I recall it.

Now it is true that a Lescott-led back four is nothing like as good as a Kompany-led back four. And our man Komps has been out quite a bit. But to be fair to Lescott, none of the others have stepped up to the plate any better when Kompany is missing.

Given how totally solid we were defending in 2010/11 and 2011/12, isn't it time to realise that our best centre half pairing is Joleon and Vincent. It wasn't broke, let's not try and fix it. And I don't buy this "not being a footballing centre half" nonsense. Clean sheets and 3 points is more important than fancy skills. Playing it out from the back is icing on the cake. The cake is clean sheets and 3 points and you need that before the icing.

Chippy_boy said:
I know this is a Demichelis thread, but the last few posts reminded me how utterly shite we have been to Joleon Lescott. We won the league with him and Kompany defending in some style. In the games where we drew or lost, I seem to remember all of us cursing at our lack or pace and width and inability to break the park-the-bus sides down. Not our calamity defending, because in the main, we didn't do any of that. We had the best defence in the league, season in, season out. OK a few shaky moments here and there, but in the main, rock solid defending from both Kompany AND Lescott. In fact some stand out performances from Joleon as I recall it.

Now it is true that a Lescott-led back four is nothing like as good as a Kompany-led back four. And our man Komps has been out quite a bit. But to be fair to Lescott, none of the others have stepped up to the plate any better when Kompany is missing.

Given how totally solid we were defending in 2010/11 and 2011/12, isn't it time to realise that our best centre half pairing is Joleon and Vincent. It wasn't broke, let's not try and fix it. And I don't buy this "not being a footballing centre half" nonsense. Clean sheets and 3 points is more important than fancy skills. Playing it out from the back is icing on the cake. The cake is clean sheets and 3 points and you need that before the icing.

I think VK and Lescott is a really decent and solid partnership and personally I am always perfectly happy to see those two together at the back. I do think Nastasic is better than Lescott though and that is probably just about our best partnership. I will be disappointed but not surprised if he gives Demichelis the nod tomorrow to partner Kompany and wouldn't even be surprised if he gives him the nod over Nastasic in a few weeks time when Nastasic returns.

I'd also like to see Lescott restored alongside Komps.The two compliment each other very well and are a solid partnership due to their understanding of each others strengths and weaknesses.
Lescott is a superb out and out defender,especially in the air,he struggles against pace and agility and isn't brilliant at bringing the ball out,however,Kompany does have the qualities to counter such and is aware of Lescotts failings and covers accordingly.

Both players are also fiercely commited and have a tremendous winning attitude.

Lescott would of been the biggest scapegoat in our recent history if Aguero did not get the winning goal against QPR imho.

AshtonBlueMooner said:
He's costing us a few goals is MD. I hope Pellegrini doesn't have blind faith in him cause he paid a few quid for him, he should play zab, vinny, joleon and gael against the Saints. Balance of team will be much better and we need to be solid if we want to win at St Mary's.

To offset that his quick thinking and "Fernandhino " type high tempo passing game is setting up numerous counter attacks.

I am more than happy with him

He will drop the odd bollock but Kompany and Him make a good pair in Nasti's absence

Lancet Fluke said:
Chippy_boy said:

I think VK and Lescott is a really decent and solid partnership and personally I am always perfectly happy to see those two together at the back. I do think Nastasic is better than Lescott though and that is probably just about our best partnership. I will be disappointed but not surprised if he gives Demichelis the nod tomorrow to partner Kompany and wouldn't even be surprised if he gives him the nod over Nastasic in a few weeks time when Nastasic returns.
I agree but think Lescott has been identified as "below standard" by our decision makers.

Plain Speaking said:
Lancet Fluke said:
Chippy_boy said:

I agree but think Lescott has been identified as "below standard" by our decision makers.

Including 'Bobby Manc'........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.