Martin Demichelis

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've changed my mind about Demichellis. For me he is like a poor man's Vincent Kompany. He's very commanding and likes to come out and attack the ball, reads the game excellently, and is generally a very good defender - just not quite as good as Kompany.

The problem for me is, the fact he is commanding and likes to attack the ball are all very similar traits to Kompany - and I think it's a bad idea to have two players like this at center back. That's why the Kompany/Lescott partenership 2 years ago was so effective. Kompany went out and attacked the ball while Lescott sat back and covered. The partnership of Demichellis and Kompany for me will never work because they both go out and attack the ball, which is why I think we conceded 3 sloppy goals against West Brom and Southampton (although this could be seen as very harsh as Osvaldo's goal was pure class, nonetheless both players did want to both go and attack him).

For me (at the moment) our best partnership is Kompany (attacking the ball) and Lescott (sitting back), and the replacements (or rotation defense) should be Demichelis (atacking the ball ) and Nastasic (sitting back) - and then, obviously when Nastasic is old and ready enough, he will take Lescott's place.

Still needs to improve his passing from the back - he clearly has the technique & ability but they're just being misplaced too often.

His best aspect is his authority and dominance in the air so far.

JJCMCFC said:
I've changed my mind about Demichellis. For me he is like a poor man's Vincent Kompany. He's very commanding and likes to come out and attack the ball, reads the game excellently, and is generally a very good defender - just not quite as good as Kompany.

The problem for me is, the fact he is commanding and likes to attack the ball are all very similar traits to Kompany - and I think it's a bad idea to have two players like this at center back. That's why the Kompany/Lescott partenership 2 years ago was so effective. Kompany went out and attacked the ball while Lescott sat back and covered. The partnership of Demichellis and Kompany for me will never work because they both go out and attack the ball, which is why I think we conceded 3 sloppy goals against West Brom and Southampton (although this could be seen as very harsh as Osvaldo's goal was pure class, nonetheless both players did want to both go and attack him).

For me (at the moment) our best partnership is Kompany (attacking the ball) and Lescott (sitting back), and the replacements (or rotation defense) should be Demichelis (atacking the ball ) and Nastasic (sitting back) - and then, obviously when Nastasic is old and ready enough, he will take Lescott's place.

Good post, seems to ring quite true.

Although personally I think Nastasic has Lescott covered in most areas even at his young age.

People are adamant that we need to outlay big money for a new centre half; IMO, we've currently got the men to do the job, providing Vinnie can start to overcome his injury woes.

Kompany and Nastasic are our long term pair and complement each other well. Demichelis and Lescott you'd think aren't going to be with us for a great deal longer, Rekik I feel is good enough to back up Nasty on the left and surely we can slowly promote someone from our youth to eventually play first cab off the rank for Vinnie (Boyata?)

Along with the rest of the defence a ropey start but then had a good game, well supported/protected by the midfield two in front of him.

Nice to see Martin beginning to get some credit. Our performances in general have improved since he's come in. He misplaces to many passes for my liking, but he hits a lot of good ones too. His reading of the game is exceptional, and he gets so many little nicks in to disrupt the opposition. I think he's already first choice alongside Vinny, and we'll see that when Nasty returns. And he's brilliant in the air.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.