MartinO'Neill

pee dubya said:
I don't rate O'Neill that highly. I think his teams are very good at what they do and he does get the best out of his players (although i think that's largely due to the fact that he's very good at buying players that fit into his style of play), but his style of play is very one-dimensional. He's followed the same formula for each job and the team he creates is pretty limited. I really doubt he could cut it at a top job..

Yep, get it to the wingers then whack in the box.

pee dubya said:
I don't rate O'Neill that highly. I think his teams are very good at what they do and he does get the best out of his players (although i think that's largely due to the fact that he's very good at buying players that fit into his style of play), but his style of play is very one-dimensional. He's followed the same formula for each job and the team he creates is pretty limited. I really doubt he could cut it at a top job.

I don't think he could have taken Villa any further anyway, now he's had an excuse to leave with his reputation in tact.
aw come on pd,yer jesting mate.I know it was the SPL,but he's a legend at Paradise mate.
UEFA Cup final run in 2003,2-0 v Blackburn at Ewood,2-0 v Liverpool at Anfield,2 totally different styles of matches,2 different styles of play.

some people on this forum should give MON a break he is a good manager and deserved more support at villa also i know everyone thinks he's next in line for the the rag job but IF mancini has a bad start to the season and we are not where our owners expect us to be at xmas MON could well be are next manager and what would people's reaction be then?????

uwe rosler 28 said:
some people on this forum should give MON a break he is a good manager and deserved more support at villa also i know everyone thinks he's next in line for the the rag job but IF mancini has a bad start to the season and we are not where our owners expect us to be at xmas MON could well be are next manager and what would people's reaction be then?????

If? If? If? So we can't slag him cos he might become our manager one day!!! Ha ha

Don't know why anyone thinks he wont ever get a bigger job. Hughes managed us and Hodgson is at Liverpool. I could easily see MON at arsenal if wenger went.

uwe rosler 28 said:
ta Uwe,take him in a minute mate

uwe rosler 28 said:

Nah, it's all about getting the ball wide and crossing it for Hartson/Sutton (Heskey Carew) or hitting on the break with Larsson (Agbonlahor). 2 big lumps at the back - Balde + Mjällby (Dunne and Collins), then 2 wide players - Agathe (Young) and Thompson (Milner/Downing). Then just having a solid central midfield.

He spent a lot of money too, and left you with an aging side on high wages, which Strachan had to come in and completely rebuild on a far smaller budget.

a real shame, he's engaging and likeable.

He knew Milner was going, perhaps he had an idea in his head about the price but he was a fool if he thought anything less than 30m was unacceptable, the market has obviously contracted since last year.

Villa were making a loss, they had to sell to buy. Maybe it was at the stage where they had to sell to pay off a bit of debt. On the face of it the disagreement boils down to how much O'Neill would get from the transfer, but I think it was deeper than that.

I could understand if Learner thought '40m annual loss to stay 6th is no good'.
I could also understand if he felt that O'Neill was making the problem worse spending big bucks on players he never uses.

I suspect Learner was distinctly unimpressed with O'Neill's idea of selling one player on 3m p/a and using most of the fee to buy 3 players on a total of 9m p/a.

I didn't rate his targets either. Ireland is a high risk buy, Keane is not good at this level. It seems to me that O'Neill was going for quality over quantity in exactly the same way Hughes did (right up to his final days, he was after Upson and Parker). Once you've got a decent squad surely the only way to make a difference is to actually take a whole step up in quality, in key areas. if you want to shuffle you have to shuffle extremely intelligently to make it pay. I think both managers ended up throwing money in the wrong places.

interesting bit is that Ian McGarry said 'nothing to do with Milner', 'nothing to do with Young', 'Friedel being sold to Fulham was the final straw. and get this... 'MON didn't want Ireland'. but then again this is Mcgarry, so I'm inclined to believe the reverse of all those statements.

pee dubya said:
uwe rosler 28 said:

Nah, it's all about getting the ball wide and crossing it for Hartson/Sutton (Heskey Carew) or hitting on the break with Larsson (Agbonlahor). 2 big lumps at the back - Balde + Mjällby (Dunne and Collins), then 2 wide players - Agathe (Young) and Thompson (Milner/Downing). Then just having a solid central midfield.

He spent a lot of money too, and left you with an aging side on high wages, which Strachan had to come in and completely rebuild on a far smaller budget.

thats a bit harsh he bought what he could with his budget and size of the club
also took celtic to a uefa cup final villa to carling cup final and won 2 trophys with Leicster we've been to 1 semi final since 1981 i for 1 would'nt have minded signing them players and having a bit of success he MON plays with what he's got and makes it work!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.