Match fixing confirmed (including in England)

The cookie monster said:
M18CTID said:
nijinsky's fetlocks said:
Could you please do me a huge favour,mate?
Just name me three posters out of the 50 odd thousand we have on the forum who have actually stated that they would never even entertain the idea of corruption in England.
As opposed to those who don't discount the possibility,but would like to see some proof first,such as myself.

-- Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:07 pm --

Yeah - Stevie G & Waynetta did a cracking job of keeping that one quiet,didn't they?

I seem to remember you and TCM (TCM in particular) scoffing at the idea that Far East betting syndicates may have some hold over the outcome of Premier League matches. It wasn't a case of you both asking for evidence, more a case that there was no way it was possible and that anyone thinking it was possible was off their head. Even when it was explained to you on more than one occasion how it might work with betting patterns, etc. you didn't get it.

-- Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:56 pm --

The cookie monster said:
Actually mate some folk were saying the prem is corrupt
All some of us did was ask for evidence
As yet not one jot of it in over 20 years,and no one found guilty of anything.

You were the biggest WUM of the lot on that thread. As for no evidence of corruption in over 20 years, have you never heard of Bruce Grobelaar, Hans Segers, or the floodlight betting scam?
Did a jury find them guilty or not guilty?

And anyway the thread was all about refs being paid off
In fact iirc the whole debate started about the prem and fa instructing that refs make sure the rags dont lose...
Me and a few others said it was bollocks..

Found not guilty but plenty of questions remained as you well know:

Grobbelaar pleaded not guilty, claiming he was only gathering evidence with the intent of taking it to the police. After two successive trials, in both of which the jury could not agree on a verdict, he and his co-defendants were cleared in November 1997. Grobbelaar later sued The Sun for libel and was awarded £85,000. The Sun appealed, and the case was eventually taken to the House of Lords where it was found that, though the specific allegations had not been proved, there was adequate evidence of dishonesty. The Lords slashed his award to £1, the lowest libel damages possible under English law, and ordered him to pay The Sun's legal costs, estimated at £500,000. In his judgement, Lord Bingham of Cornhill observed:

I know full well how the thread started but you know as well as anyone that it soon developed into something else - ie: possible corruption linked to betting syndicates, a debate that you fully participated in and claimed that was bollocks also.

M18CTID said:
nijinsky's fetlocks said:
M18CTID said:
The biggest issue I had with the "brown envelopes" thread is that some posters wouldn't even begin to entertain the idea that there could be a possibility that the Premier League may be open to corruption. Fact is, if people can be bought in Italy and Germany then they can also be bought in England. History shows that people have been guilty of match-fixing here in the past so why is it not possible for it to happen again?

Could you please do me a huge favour,mate?
Just name me three posters out of the 50 odd thousand we have on the forum who have actually stated that they would never even entertain the idea of corruption in England.
As opposed to those who don't discount the possibility,but would like to see some proof first,such as myself.

-- Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:07 pm --

MSP said:
People don't even have to be bought, they could be blackmailed to do it.

You shag some underage or some granny :) and you don't want public to know it.

Then some big guy knocks on your door...

Yeah - Stevie G & Waynetta did a cracking job of keeping that one quiet,didn't they?

I seem to remember you and TCM (TCM in particular) scoffing at the idea that Far East betting syndicates may have some hold over the outcome of Premier League matches. It wasn't a case of you both asking for evidence, more a case that there was no way it was possible and that anyone thinking it was possible was off their head. Even when it was explained to you on more than one occasion how it might work with betting patterns, etc. you didn't get it.

The cookie monster said:
M18CTID said:
The biggest issue I had with the "brown envelopes" thread is that some posters wouldn't even begin to entertain the idea that there could be a possibility that the Premier League may be open to corruption. Fact is, if people can be bought in Italy and Germany then they can also be bought in England. History shows that people have been guilty of match-fixing here in the past so why is it not possible for it to happen again?
Actually mate some folk were saying the prem is corrupt
All some of us did was ask for evidence
As yet not one jot of it in over 20 years,and no one found guilty of anything.

You were the biggest WUM of the lot on that thread. As for no evidence of corruption in over 20 years, have you never heard of Bruce Grobelaar, Hans Segers, or the floodlight betting scam?

I understand perfectly how betting syndicates work - my late father was a bookmaker,and I have gambled ever since I could write out a betting slip.
What I questioned then,(and still question now),is how such huge bets could be laid and folk all the way down the food chain bribed sufficiently to favourably influence a given result without anyone knowing,and just where the evidence for the practice being widespread actually was,rather than speculation and hearsay,which seems a perfectly reasonable ask.
Because vague mumblings about triads and brown envelopes are no more than speculation until they are corroborated.
I don't rule anything out where betting is concerned,ever,but that doesn't mean believing that because something is logistically possible then it is definitely happening.

nederblue said:
If I was going to try and fix matches it wouldn't be with the bigger clubs. I would look for games that had more chance of escaping under the radar. It would be amazing if the rags were stripped of some titles due to some wrong doings but I think it is more likely that smaller clubs are involved.

What games bring more bets - the biggest clubs ones or Aldershot vs Plymouth

M18CTID said:
The cookie monster said:
M18CTID said:

Did a jury find them guilty or not guilty?

And anyway the thread was all about refs being paid off
In fact iirc the whole debate started about the prem and fa instructing that refs make sure the rags dont lose...
Me and a few others said it was bollocks..

Found not guilty but plenty of questions remained as you well know:

Grobbelaar pleaded not guilty, claiming he was only gathering evidence with the intent of taking it to the police. After two successive trials, in both of which the jury could not agree on a verdict, he and his co-defendants were cleared in November 1997. Grobbelaar later sued The Sun for libel and was awarded £85,000. The Sun appealed, and the case was eventually taken to the House of Lords where it was found that, though the specific allegations had not been proved, there was adequate evidence of dishonesty. The Lords slashed his award to £1, the lowest libel damages possible under English law, and ordered him to pay The Sun's legal costs, estimated at £500,000. In his judgement, Lord Bingham of Cornhill observed:

I know full well how the thread started but you know as well as anyone that it soon developed into something else - ie: possible corruption linked to betting syndicates, a debate that you fully participated in and claimed that was bollocks also.

Like i said it started with the prem,f a,sky,bbc,itv,red tops,uefa,fifa all out to stop city

That was bollocks,unless you were one of them that thought this was possible?

Then it went onto the triads running the prem,in fact iirc p.b said over 400 games had been fixed....
I didnt believe that over 400 prem games had been rigged....Do you?

Edit
It was 6 out of 10 prem matches were fixed most weeks
Now that is utter bollocks

MSP said:
nederblue said:
If I was going to try and fix matches it wouldn't be with the bigger clubs. I would look for games that had more chance of escaping under the radar. It would be amazing if the rags were stripped of some titles due to some wrong doings but I think it is more likely that smaller clubs are involved.

What games bring more bets - the biggest clubs ones or Aldershot vs Plymouth

You are being a bit extreme there which is no surprise. Big games bring more small stake punters and smaller games tend to attract larger stake punters looking for irregularities in odds. Everyone knows City will beat certain teams at home. It is the mid-table 50/50 clashes where there is more opportunity to influence and make larger gains. There are huge values lumped on most sports these days thanks to the internet.

The Bundesliga is my favourite league but the talk of it being the pinnacle of all that is pure and proper in football is nauseating (especially when they go on about teams like City being bad for football) and this could put a knife through the heart of that belief:

Europol source,nr. of games fixed per country: 1)Germany 70; 2)Switzerland 41; 3)Finland 32; 4)Hungary 20; 5)Belgium 19; 6) Croatia 18 (1/2)

Is there some form of corruption in the Premiership? I think yes.

I don't think the money is on things like Manchester United to win the Premiership, but I do think there is betting on the smaller games. Betting on the biggest games with the massive audiences doesn't make sense; they're under the spotlight a lot more and the betting odds aren't any higher.

For example, in a game between Swansea and Sunderland, do I think there's a chance there is a lot of money on something like a first half red card? Yes. I think that's 100% possible. I'm not saying it has happened, but there's definitely a chance.

Money controls everything. If players were getting offered big money for little risk (key part) I think they would a least consider it.

If you were a referee and were offered big money to ensure there was a first half red card (for either side) would you consider that offer?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.