Mateo Kovacic

Status
Not open for further replies.
19 Goals 34 assists over his career that spans over 425 games
Bernardo has 77/62 over similar no. Of games
Gundogan has 78/43 for around 460 games (Gundo is more clutch)

Chelsea's attack may have been shit but he is not going to post goals and assists here. We will see I maybe wrong

I appreciate the insight, and stats are stats of course, but I don’t think it’s quite that simple.

Take Gundogan for example, in many games his main role is to break up opposition possession, keep our possession, recirculate etc.
But sometimes Pep plays him in a more aggressive role that puts him forward into scoring positions / puts him at the pointy end of moves obviously worked on in training etc. and many fans think that he’s suddenly become a much better player and rave about how good he’s become - but he’s quite obviously the same brilliant players he always has been only playing a role where gets more goals and assists.

The way that a specific midfield function, as a cog doing a job in a team machine, results in much different goal and assist stats (and consequent simplistic fan excitement) can easily diminish their worth.

As a further example, if Bernardo’s playing left back then his stats will chalk up differently than when he’s playing right wing or what have you.
The widely differing roles that midfielders perform mean that goal and assist stats, while factual and inarguable, are often used to compare apples to oranges.

This isn’t a criticism btw, just an attempt to add context to the numbers is all.

Because of the above, the stat based clamour of supporters in favour of certain recruitments matter not one jot to me.
IMO if Pep and the football professionals around him decide that a player is of benefit to what they’re trying to achieve in future seasons then that’s the acid test.

Last edited:
Think the signing isn’t reliant on anyone going but purely squad depth and adds another body in midfield, with kev and gundo(provided he stays) getting older and the amount of games next season the signing makes a lot of sense, especially considering the price for a player of his quality
I think this is right on. He doesn't really make us better but is a reliable midfield option when older players need managing or there are injuries.

19 Goals 34 assists over his career that spans over 425 games
Bernardo has 77/62 over similar no. Of games
Gundogan has 78/43 for around 460 games (Gundo is more clutch)

Chelsea's attack may have been shit but he is not going to post goals and assists here. We will see I maybe wrong
Tbf to Kova, Chelsea usually play more defensive minded football and rarely win by a lot of goals

Honestly surprised at the lack of
Optimism for this signing. Has played for Real, Inter and Chelsea, won countless trophies. Personally from observation looks a city player if I’ve ever seen one, very tidy in possession, great in tight spots & bringing the ball from deep, no ego and will put a shift in. Technically far superior than Declan Rice and for 80m less what’s not too like. Oh and will help Garvidol settle.

Honestly surprised at the lack of
Optimism for this signing. Has played for Real, Inter and Chelsea, won countless trophies. Personally from observation looks a city player if I’ve ever seen one, very tidy in possession, great in tight spots & bringing the ball from deep, no ego and will put a shift in. Technically far superior than Declan Rice and for 80m less what’s not too like. Oh and will help Garvidol settle.
He is an average player. We already have one in Kalvin. We have Rodri and Perrone.
He is not as good as Gundo in attack. Can’t replace him. He can’t replace Bernardo.
No optimism there. I hope this transfer never happens.

He is an average player. We already have one in Kalvin. We have Rodri and Perrone.
He is not as good as Gundo in attack. Can’t replace him. He can’t replace Bernardo.
Bloody hell pal how negative, average OK, however I tend to disagree. Some weird folk on this forum lately. Kalvin may not have shown his qualities and I for one have been one of his biggest critics but Kovacic is of much a better pedigree. Although I do think Kalvin could be good for us, he was a stand out in a poor Leeds team.

Correct - he’s average, exactly what I’ve been saying. Some here have been saying he’s ‘great’ - beats me.

Correct - he’s average, exactly what I’ve been saying. Some here have been saying he’s ‘great’ - beats me.
I think I’d put it down to a number of factors:
a) some saying that simply cos they want it to be so
b) some saying it cos we’ve signed players before who have been viewed as ‘underwhelming’ in some ways at the time but who have gone on to be really important and effective parts of our success under Pep, so feel this can happen again here, and
c) some saying it cos they genuinely believe he has shown great play at Chelsea/ internationally.

For those 3 reasons I’m honestly not as surprised as you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.