Matija Nastasić

johnmc said:
BigOscar said:
Nastasic did well, or looked better, when we were playing in a way that makes defending incredibly easy. The further back you sit, the less space you have to cover, the easier your decisions are and the more support you have from the people around you. To compare playing in that system to how we play now, it's like going bowling with the sides up. You see a lot of players look good in that sort of system, who look fucking awful the second they have any space in behind them. Look at Chelsea with Cahill and Terry. They get rave reviews and have good stats, but as soon as either of them tries to play even as high up the pitch as just outside their box, they turn into absolute disasters. And they can at least head a ball, which Nastasic seems to actively avoid.

Nastasic is like Cahill, he looks calm and composed while on the edge of his box and being nicely covered by his midfield, but shits himself whenever a ball is played in behind him or someone is actually allowed to run at him. He let in 3 almost identical goals in Pellers first season, with different partners, all from just long balls down the middle. First against Chelsea, he tracks the aimless long hoof, but is panicking so badly at the thought of being chased that he heads it past his own keeper. Then against Villa, they pump a regulation long ball down the middle and he does nothing, he doesn't follow his man deep to contest the header and he doesn't track the guy for the flick on, he just stands there flat footed, playing the 2nd man onside as he runs straight past him to score. Then against CSKA, almost the identical goal, this time partnering Javi. Javi at least goes to the first man to try and win the header, but it gets flicked on, while Nastasic is again just watching like a pudding, strolling while the 2nd man sprints in behind him, if he'd even bothered reacting then he might of been able to clear it off the line, but he'd stopped. 3 almost identical, pub league goals where he showed he couldn't handle even the most basic bit of defending when outside his box.

I don't think he would ever be capable of playing in a system where he in a remotely high line, so he will be no loss to us at all. I imagine he'll end up in Italy, having a great time.

This is nonsense.

No it isn't. It is an almost perfect analysis of Nastasic's obvious limitations, with conclusive evidence to boot!

Well done Big Oscar for a great post.

NQCitizen said:
Rammy Blue said:
Never particularly rated him so good riddance.

I got slaughtered on here years ago for saying I didn't see what the fuss was about, if I could be arsed I'd dig out some posts and do a bit of gloating.
You've not really been proven wrong or right though I suppose, he's completely vanished in a way that suggests it's not just about being good or bad.

As has been said by Neville, Nasty was lauded on here as being potentially the best young defender in world football, it was cringeworthy.

I never saw anything that made me think he was anything but average.

Neville Kneville said:
johnmc said:
Are we forcing him out? And if so why? Is it down to him becoming part of the overseas quota?

I'm aware we need Boyata in the squad but surely Pellegrini doesn't rate him about Nastasic.

This is a common opinion amongst a percentage of City fans, but there are plenty of us who have considered Nastasic to be compklete shite since the day we signed him. I've always had that opinion.

That opinion used to be beaten down on here amid a barrage of sarcastic comments , but I found when discussing it at the match, in pubs etc, the majority of City fans I know personally have never rated him, & I don't personally know of any non City fans who rated him then or now.

There are plenty of football supporters who have watched Nastasic & think he's crap & nowhere near it for City, so it's not impossible the manager & maybe some of his team mates, may share that opinion rather than believing he is better than players such as Boyata.

At last!

He's a bluemoon myth! Most match goers have said hes bang average since his 1st season

MaineRoadBlue said:
johnmc said:
BigOscar said:
Nastasic did well, or looked better, when we were playing in a way that makes defending incredibly easy. The further back you sit, the less space you have to cover, the easier your decisions are and the more support you have from the people around you. To compare playing in that system to how we play now, it's like going bowling with the sides up. You see a lot of players look good in that sort of system, who look fucking awful the second they have any space in behind them. Look at Chelsea with Cahill and Terry. They get rave reviews and have good stats, but as soon as either of them tries to play even as high up the pitch as just outside their box, they turn into absolute disasters. And they can at least head a ball, which Nastasic seems to actively avoid.

Nastasic is like Cahill, he looks calm and composed while on the edge of his box and being nicely covered by his midfield, but shits himself whenever a ball is played in behind him or someone is actually allowed to run at him. He let in 3 almost identical goals in Pellers first season, with different partners, all from just long balls down the middle. First against Chelsea, he tracks the aimless long hoof, but is panicking so badly at the thought of being chased that he heads it past his own keeper. Then against Villa, they pump a regulation long ball down the middle and he does nothing, he doesn't follow his man deep to contest the header and he doesn't track the guy for the flick on, he just stands there flat footed, playing the 2nd man onside as he runs straight past him to score. Then against CSKA, almost the identical goal, this time partnering Javi. Javi at least goes to the first man to try and win the header, but it gets flicked on, while Nastasic is again just watching like a pudding, strolling while the 2nd man sprints in behind him, if he'd even bothered reacting then he might of been able to clear it off the line, but he'd stopped. 3 almost identical, pub league goals where he showed he couldn't handle even the most basic bit of defending when outside his box.

I don't think he would ever be capable of playing in a system where he in a remotely high line, so he will be no loss to us at all. I imagine he'll end up in Italy, having a great time.

This is nonsense.

No it isn't. It is an almost perfect analysis of Nastasic's obvious limitations, with conclusive evidence to boot!

Well done Big Oscar for a great post.

Fully agree with big Oscar. Nastasic is a very composed deep lying defender. Lovely on the ball, reads the game well but is awful on the front foot.
We are now a front foot defending side.
Nastasic is no longer needed.

I liked him, but his attributes don't suit us. Hence the demand for him in Italy, where edge of the box defending is the norm.

Not sure he's as good/bad as the fringes are suggesting. Schalke seems a good move and good luck to him. We have a much better player in Mangala.

i still want to now , why he was totally shunned from the 1st team ?

was it off field problems? coz at 21 , there is always room for improvement...mangala is 23 and older , but MP believes in him and am sure will only improve

BigOscar said:
First against Chelsea, he tracks the aimless long hoof, but is panicking so badly at the thought of being chased that he heads it past his own keeper.

An interesting rewrite of history -, Hart was 100% to blame for that goal, he was the one who panicked when all he had to do was collect Nastasic's cushioned back header. In fact Nastasic would still have got to the ball before Torres if Hart hadn't flattened him when he came charging out..

BigOscar said:

In general, this reflects my views on Nastasic. I do find that I agree with you on pretty much every player discussion, with the exception of Matic. Funnily enough, you state that Nastasic only looks good when he sits deep and has little space to defend. In my opinion, the same can be said for Matic. He always has the FBs behind him, and the centre-halves are sat no more than just a few metres behind him. It is still not teh most basic role but I doubt he could blossom in a role for a top team who play football, as opposed to the style of a Mourihno team. Anyway, I digress. This is a Nastasic thread.

Sad to see Nasty go if he does because he looked a fantastic prospect. He was a great player in that first season and I just do not understand what has gone wrong with him. Anyone slagging him doesn't understand how young these lads are and they need support and coaching to get things right. Nasty made his debut against Real Madrid at 19 and did fine, remember that. He will become a big player once he has his head in the right place.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.