Maybe a crazy idea but.... Zinchenko as DM

Not in a million years. Not strong enough in the tackle. Not mobile enough and doesn’t seem like he would be able to break the lines with a nice through ball. Not a destroyer in the Kante mould and not composed enough on the ball like Rodri. Would get dominated in the jungle.

I like zinny I love his personality and I think he loves it at city but I don’t really see what his best position would be in this side.

He started as a midfielder I dont see why not. He bleeds clue blood, good passing, workrate, tackling, intelligent enough. I would see him as a backup to Rodri.
His performances have been dire recently, perhaps understandably becase his head must be all over the place with the Ukraine crisis. He does well for Ukraine in the midfield role but it is too late for experiments with City. We can't risk playing him on Sunday in my view, in any position.

Instinctively I want a hard bastard there, and I don’t think Zinchenko fits those physical characteristics.

But as others have said, Kante is a fairly slight guy too and he’s an absolute beast in that position…

Kanté doesn't play that position. He's a box-to-box midfielder who roams all over the pitch pressing and putting out fires. Drinkwater played DM for Leicester with Kanté, and Jorginho plays there for Chelsea

I think Zinny could play as one of the "2" in a 4-2-3-1 alongside Rodri but I wouldn't fancy him as a sole defensive midfielder

Kante is small in stature, but he is most definitely strong, naturally athletic and has a great engine, all the things Alex’s isn’t.

I’ve always said, that midfield three vastly under achieved, England should have done far better with them, world class players in what they did.
Has Kante ever played the 6 role in a midfield 3?

Is Kimmich out of contract any time soon?

It's obvious we need another DM. Firstly in case Rodri gets injured. But secondly, I reckon we'll see a change of tactics with Haaland up front. There'll be less onus on so many midfielders running beyond the defence, so we might play with two more conservative midfielders at times, especially against the better opponents. If Gundogan leaves too, we're suddenly short on those reliable players who have a good passing range but never give the ball away. Bernardo can do it, but De Bruyne gets dispossessed too often to play that role imo. I don't think Zinchenko can do it either. He plays well out wide where he has space and coming into midfield in games that we're dominating to be an extra man. I'm not sure I'd trust him as the main midfielder in a game where we're being pressed.

If we brought in Phillips (or similar) and De Jong, that'd give us the choice between the more physical midfield and a more creative one, with one of De Bruyne or Bernardo making up the three. But I can't say I watch Phillips to know if he's really good enough.

With rumours we are definately getting a left back at last, would it be amad as a box of frogs suggestion that Pep could mould Zivchenko, who defensively is quite adept and has a range of passing into ferdys replacement?

Yes he is predonimately left sided, but plays centraly many a time during a game.when cutting in.

Just a thought as he plays midfield for Ukraine and Pep has form for this before with Lahm
Surely the need for a left back is because the probability is that Mendy will never play for us again, we can still get another 5/6 seasons from Zinchenko who is versatile enough to play LB or in midfield.

Last edited:
Kalvin Philips is average and would be a waste of money on my opinion, mid table standard at best.

Bielsa really did a great job making poor players look class, just wasn't sustainable though for Leeds, wouldn't touch one of their players
An average player can become above average when playing with and being coached by above average players and coaches.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.