MCFC film night @ Cornerhouse - NEW DATE TICKETS AVAILABLE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: MCFC film night @ Cornerhouse - TONIGHT 2nd MAY

I was there on Friday and when I got home booked again for myself and my uncle who couldn't make it on Friday.

Echo what everyone else has said, a brilliant evenings entertainment.

I have a spare ticket for tonight as a friend has let me down. I'll gladly give it away for free to any blue who wants it, on the proviso you definitely turn up.

PM me if interested.

Just got in from going tonight after rounding the night off with a curry in Akbars :)

Really enjoyed the whole thing, the footage from the last stand on Kippax street brought great memories flooding back and a tear to the eye. The closest you would get to imagine what it was like in there if you never had graced the finest terrace on earth.

Great footage of Belle View etc.

The student film "City" was also very enjoyable showing Maine Road being swept after a weekend game.

The close up footage of the Platt Lane benches where my dad first ever took me was another great personal moment for me.

The Swales footage did not put him in a great light.

The Mercer interview was upsetting and the way he was treated by the board was a disgrace. Great footage of Big Mal and Tony Book is a true gent and City Legend. Tony Book isn't mentioned enough by our fans as being a club legend but it really hits home just how much City meant and still mean to him.

Finally the boys in blue recording, all I can say is Mike Doyle looks cool as fuck compared to how Franny is dressed and the King Colin was also in fine voice.

I cannot think of any blue who would not have enjoyed that, well done Gary James !!

Yep, really enjoyed that Gary, thanks for putting it together.

Last day on the Kippax - wow, so many memories.

Great night, so glad i could make it there. Thanks to Gary and the NWFA for putting it on :)

Thanks for all the comments both last night and on here. It really is appreciated. I hope we proved last night that City does have 'history'. There's a lot more to the club than what we saw last night but hopefully it gave everyone something of interest.

On a personal level I really was delighted with the attendance, feedback and general views of those attending - thank you all.

Those that attended the first showing will have missed my latest info on the 1961 colour footage of the game between City and a team in yellow originally thought to be Spurs then suggested (by me) that it was Everton due to the 'Sweet Lady' in front of the Platt Lane.

Further research this last few days has identified that the game must be against Spurs (as the original notes from the family who donated it say) because the goalkeeper is not Bert Trautmann and is actually Steve Fleet. Fleet only made 5 League (& 1 League Cup) appearance for City and 2 of those games were in Feb/Mar 1961 - City V Spurs and City V United. The Spurs game on 25/2/61 is the match the original donor said the film is of and so it all fits. However, this now raises another area for research... what was the 'Sweet Lady' in Everton colours doing at City?

I have a very vague recollection of someone throwing sweets into the crowd at the Platt Lane end when I was a young kid in the early 70s and have assumed in recent years that she would've been at an Everton match, however I'm now beginning to wonder if City also did this from time to time.

Older blues we need you! Can anyone remember sweets being thrown into the crowd by an Everton style Sweet Lady?

This is the beauty of old film and photos. As well as answering questions they tend to generate further lines of investigation. As I said last night I could comment and talk about any one of those films for some considerable time as there's so much of interest.

Thanks again to all who came. Cheers

Absolutely enthralling last night so thanks to Gary, The Cornerhouse & the NWFA for putting it together. Wish my son could have seen that to give him some idea of football life in those days.

Having read Gary's book on Joe Mercer I already knew how upset he was about the circumstances of his departure but it was typical of him that he said these things still with a smile not far from his face, although it clearly hurt him.

Peter Swales - what can you say about this man? Had his head so far up his arse that he must have been able to see daylight at the other end.

Great film of the 1956 final and Bert Trautmann. The commentator was talking about the City defence protecting him but from what we saw they did a pretty shit job!

Gary James said:
Thanks for all the comments both last night and on here. It really is appreciated. I hope we proved last night that City does have 'history'. There's a lot more to the club than what we saw last night but hopefully it gave everyone something of interest.

On a personal level I really was delighted with the attendance, feedback and general views of those attending - thank you all.

Those that attended the first showing will have missed my latest info on the 1961 colour footage of the game between City and a team in yellow originally thought to be Spurs then suggested (by me) that it was Everton due to the 'Sweet Lady' in front of the Platt Lane.

Further research this last few days has identified that the game must be against Spurs (as the original notes from the family who donated it say) because the goalkeeper is not Bert Trautmann and is actually Steve Fleet. Fleet only made 5 League (& 1 League Cup) appearance for City and 2 of those games were in Feb/Mar 1961 - City V Spurs and City V United. The Spurs game on 25/2/61 is the match the original donor said the film is of and so it all fits. However, this now raises another area for research... what was the 'Sweet Lady' in Everton colours doing at City?

I have a very vague recollection of someone throwing sweets into the crowd at the Platt Lane end when I was a young kid in the early 70s and have assumed in recent years that she would've been at an Everton match, however I'm now beginning to wonder if City also did this from time to time.

Older blues we need you! Can anyone remember sweets being thrown into the crowd by an Everton style Sweet Lady?

This is the beauty of old film and photos. As well as answering questions they tend to generate further lines of investigation. As I said last night I could comment and talk about any one of those films for some considerable time as there's so much of interest.

Thanks again to all who came. Cheers
So it was Spurs after all! Just told my dad and he was surprised too. He couldn't remember the Sweet Lady being a regular thing at Maine Road at all. However, he then came up with the gem:

"...but the Blackpool mascot used to have a duck."

Where that came from I don't know, but needless to say, I'm laughing like a drain still.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.