MCFC V NY Red Bulls Tonight.

Spindash said:
Shay Guevara said:
For all those who bang on about 'meaningless' friendlies - they are NOT meaningless, the season is almost here and we need to get a winning mentality quickly. I bet the rags play a reserve team in their game and still win it.

Tonight was like watching the past, the 'old' City - hopefully for the last time because we need to start winning now

Robinho has a lot to answer for for ever uttering the words "winning mentality". Form in pre-season does not matter in the slightest. It's been proven that it makes no difference to how a team starts the season.

England's friendlies before the World Cup was a pretty good indicator of their form...

Shay Guevara said:
Spindash said:
Robinho has a lot to answer for for ever uttering the words "winning mentality". Form in pre-season does not matter in the slightest. It's been proven that it makes no difference to how a team starts the season.

England's friendlies before the World Cup was a pretty good indicator of their form...

Not really, considering they won all of them.

result was dissapointing tonight but lets not start flapping,i could'nt care less about losing to red bull im more concerned about spurs away 14th august,thats when the football starts getting serious...

Better overall than v Sp Lisbon (it's true honestly if you didn't see first game).

Things that stood out for me:
1) Bridge is getting even slower
2) Boyata > Mee (but I think we knew that anyway)
3) Nimely looked v good 1st half but faded away in 2nd - clearly has pace + some nice touches.
4) Kay + Tutte: tidy but not eye-catching
5) Jo has better movement than RSC (ok not a tricky benchmark to overcome exactly) but his reading of the game is awful at times i.e. on his heels when he should be following in a shot by someone else

... and perhaps of most significance to 1st team squad / posters on this board
6) Steven Ireland was virtually INVISIBLE in 1st half.
...reaching for tin-hat.... the team set up with Tutte / Kay behind should have allowed SI to play his ideal role but he did his usual thing of floating around / few casual first-time lay-offs and generally not influencing the game enough.

...fastening straps on tin-hat .... if Ireland had played one half-decent pass in the first 45 mins it would have produced approximately 9 new threads on here about how letting him leave would be a disgrace / about how much he loves the club / about how good he is ... he was ... he will be ...he always has been etc etc etc etc.

I saw the interview with Stevie on the MCFC website about how keen he is to win a first-team place back... but the sad fact is that his performances are not impressing anyone other than his loyal band of supporters on here.

Erm... where do I start...I was quite happy with the performance!

Adebayor looked sharp in the first half.
Johnson had a very good cameo
Tutte & Nimely looked quite impressive, although Tutte is still a little lightweight.
We passed the ball much better and there was some decent interplay.

Obviously we were overun in midfield, but we had 2 youngsters there throughout so what did you expect. We had no injury scares, and that's all that matters in pre-season. Next game please :-)

Regarding the Ireland post just above, who cares. We know what Ireland can produce, I'm not going to debate whether he can produce it enough to stay with us as I'm undecided myself. The points remains it's pre-season, iirc Ireland did bugger all in the pre-season before his player of the year season... hence it means sod all.

Inter started their pre-season in the US last year with draws against the mighty UCLA Bruins and Club America and a defeat against Chelsea. They didn't have most of their first team missing due to a world cup either. Fortunately, they were only friendlies and didn't have any impact on their season from what I remember.

Last summer we won 2 games, 1 in SA but lose the tournament there, beat Celtic but lost to Rangers and drew Barnsley and 1860 Munich, so not great.

2009/10 pre-season: P7 W2 D2 L3.

In pre-season 08/09 our only win was against AC Milan at home, we drew 3 and lost to Hamburg.

2008/09 pre-season: P5 W1 D3 L1.

The summer before we beat Doncaster, 2 swedish nobodies and Shrewsbury but lost to Charleroi and Valencia.

2007/08 pre-season: P6 W4 D0 L2.

So really we're not brilliant at pre-season, especially against good opposition.

heres an article on poor commentary and puts citys view of the game and tournament in to perspective.<a class="postlink" href="http://www.overthebluemoon.net/2010/07/fox-soccer-channel-wh" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.overthebluemoon.net/2010/07/ ... channel-wh</a>.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.