Media bias against City

Status
Not open for further replies.
No but we are a bigger club with more trophies and a bigger fanbase than Everton so we get more newspaper coverage.

We have finished higher than them in 2 of the last 4 years.
Not sure what the historical trophy haul has to do with anything relating to contemporary coverage within a local newspaper. In terms of size, whilst it's certainly the case that united (and Liverpool) both have considerably more supporters thoughout the country (and globally) than City, this is not the case within Manchester itself where I'd say, in the interests of balance, the support is pretty much 50/50, give or take.

On that basis, the level and tone of coverage within our local paper is entirely incongruous with that fact, especially given that City have been the most successful of the two clubs in the last half decade, which is something Everton could not say in relation to Liverpool.

All of which, as a native of Merseyside you'll fully appreciate, no doubt.

Last edited:
Can the Agenda be blamed for Delph decision?
If so, we dodged a bullet.

The only players we want to sign for our club from teams like Villa are those with the requisite mental strength to make the step up. Mere talent will not suffice. The margins at the top of professional sport are too narrow to have players who will be swayed to that extent (if true) by what is written in the press. Someone who does not have the mental fortitude to ignore what is said in the media and back his own talent was always bound to fail in the high pressure cooker that is Manchester City.

I think some unkind things have been said about Delph, personally. It seems he's decided, upon reflection, that he'd prefer a guaranteed first team place, the captaincy, a decent degree of adulation at what is a very good club. He can't be faulted for that imo. He's been found a little short to make the unlimited step, but there's certainly no shame in that. To have made it as far as he already has requires a great deal of dedication and hard work.

Good luck to him.

Well said mate. I know we don't see what the club do behind the scenes, but to the average fan it looks like we do nothing. It seems every man and his dog can take say what they like about us in the media whether it's true or not, and we just seem to smile and do nothing. If people read enough lies and hear enough bullshit on the tv and radio, it becomes the truth. It's time for the club to admit that the way they are handling things is clearly not working. If they have no idea how to fix it, then they should do what they have done with every other position in the club and bring someone in who can.
I think the suggestion in your last sentence is something that should be seriously considered.

I'll preface what I'm about to say by saying two things. Firstly I'm well aware of the ownership's prevailing ethos in terms of the management of the club's image through the media. There is a manifest reticence to iterpose with the press, borne in no small part, no doubt, by concerns about Abu Dhabi's wider image in terms of civil rights; which is a subject which the sporting media has so far largely abstained from commenting upon. This would not remain the case if we embarked on any form of what could be perceived as censorship. Secondly, I think it's right to say that the club's media coverage has gradually and marginally improved since 2008, but certainly not consistent with our rise as a club. Further, the press only seem to need the slightest excuse to revert to their default mode of mocking and sneering at the club, as we have seen of late.

The Sterling imbroglio has brought this into particularly sharp relief. Anyone who cannot see the complete dichotomy between the way Sterling's putative transfer has been reported, in contrast to that of Clyne plus Loveren and Llalana before him, is completely beyond help. We're not talking nuances here, but naked, utter hypocrisy. I can also state with supreme confidence that if Delph had reportedly rebuked united, the narrative within the press would have been entirely different and certainly lacking the widespread unbridled glee at a club being 'snubbed'. I could list many other examples, which have been regurgited on this thread ad nauseum, but it wouldn't serve any useful purpose. It's been done to death.

Banning journalists, however tempting, would be counter-productive and the club does not have sufficient clout within the media as yet to start wielding a stick more generally to any purposeful effect. It's not something the club would consider in any event, given the point I made earlier. Going from one extreme to the other would be foolish. It is equally true, however, that the current approach is not working to the extent it should, given what the club has achieved both on and off the pitch in the last half decade. I believe that assertion is irrefutable. Our public image is pretty shocking and certainly worse than it should be.

It may well be, of course, that the club doesn't believe it's particularly important and I, for one, don't place as much currency on it as other posters. It's certainly not prevented our rise, but it must have hampered it to some extent. It's difficult to escape from that notion, although it's also equally difficult to say with any certainty how much it's hindered us. Possibly not enough to trouble our ownership.

I'm certainly not sure what the answer is tbh, but as you say, it may lie in bring an outside agency into the arena, with a slightly altered brief. Nothing too drastic, but enough change in emphasis to be both discernible and effective.

Maybe the Sterling situation will provide some form of tipping point in that regard.

Last edited:
The Agenda is everywhere. I was watching a recent episode of Corrie last night with the Mrs - there was a stunning poster of Aguero on the wall. Which wall I hear you ask? A bloody drug dealers wall...........

If so, we dodged a bullet.

The only players we want to sign for our club from teams like Villa are those with the requisite mental strength to make the step up. Mere talent will not suffice. The margins at the top of professional sport are too narrow to have players who will be swayed to that extent (if true) by what is written in the press. Someone who does not have the mental fortitude to ignore what is said in the media and back his own talent was always bound to fail in the high pressure cooker that is Manchester City.

I think some unkind things have been said about Delph, personally. It seems he's decided, upon reflection, that he'd prefer a guaranteed first team place, the captaincy, a decent degree of adulation at what is a very good club. He can't be faulted for that imo. He's been found a little short to make the unlimited step, but there's certainly no shame in that. To have made it as far as he already has requires a great deal of dedication and hard work.

Good luck to him.
This is very true, if he chose not to because of this he is weak minded and not the type f player we require

I think the suggestion in your last sentence is something that should be seriously considered.

I'll preface what I'm about to say by saying two things. Firstly I'm well aware of the ownership's prevailing ethos in terms of the management of the club's image through the media. There is a manifest reticence to iterpose with the press, borne in no small part, no doubt, by concerns about Abu Dhabi's wider image in terms of civil rights; which is a subject which the sporting media has so far largely abstained from commenting upon. This would not remain the case if we embarked on any form of what could be perceived as censorship. Secondly, I think it's right to say that the club's media coverage has gradually and marginally improved since 2008, but certainly not consistent with our rise as a club. Further, the press only seem to need the slightest excuse to revert to their default mode of mocking and sneering at the club, as we have seen of late.

The Sterling imbroglio has brought this into particularly sharp relief. Anyone who cannot see the complete dichotomy between the way Sterling's putative transfer has been reported, in contrast to that of Clyne plus Loveren and Llalana before him, is completely beyond help. We're not talking nuances here, but naked, utter hypocrisy. I can also state with supreme confidence that if Delph had reportedly rebuked united, the narrative within the press would have been entirely different and certainly lacking the widespread unbridled glee at a club being 'snubbed'. I could list many other examples, which have been regurgited on this thread ad nauseum, but it wouldn't serve any useful purpose. It's been done to death.

Banning journalists, however tempting, would be counter-productive and the club does not have sufficient clout within the media as yet to start wielding a stick more generally to any purposeful effect. It's not something the club would consider in any event, given the point I made earlier. Going from one extreme to the other would be foolish. It is equally true, however, that the current approach is not working to the extent it should, given what the club has achieved both on and off the pitch in the last half decade. I believe that assertion is irrefutable. Our public image is pretty shocking and certainly worse than it should be.

It may well be, of course, that the club doesn't believe it's particularly important and I, for one, don't place as much currency on it as other posters. It's certainly not prevented our rise, but it must have hampered it to some extent. It's difficult to escape from that notion, although it's also equally difficult to say with any certainty how much it's hindered us. Possibly not enough to trouble our ownership.

I'm certainly not sure what the answer is tbh, but as you say, it may lie in bring an outside agency into the arena, with a slightly altered brief. Nothing too drastic, but enough change in emphasis to be both discernible and effective.

Maybe the Sterling situation will provide some form of tipping point in that regard.
Great post. Would caveat though that whilst our media coverage is very poor & has improved, I would liken it to how Chelsea were pilloried when they first starting splashing the cash. 10-15 years on & they still get a pretty poor press. Our rotten Media is full of fans & ex players turned pundits who are still obsessed with the original Sky4 ManUre Liverpool Arse & Spuds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.