Media bias against City

Status
Not open for further replies.
Attendance says bang on 60'000 in the Mirror. So obviously made up when it's a rounded off figure.
I think the Rags force season ticket holders of whom there are about 55000 to buy tickets for cup competitions therefore they will count those 55000 and another 5000 of sales. So even if only 30000 turned up Utd will report the crowd as the 60000 sold. Most clubs do the same in terms of reporting the crowd but usually the difference is small as not many other clubs force buying tickets for all comps

I still don't understand how it relates to "media bias against City" though?
It doesn't directly relate to that of course but I think it shows up an interesting point. They clearly protect their image quite ruthlessly and I suspect their position is that releasing attendance figures which might show they didn't have anything like a full house would be bad for that image. Baconface's book shows that, with him being economical with the truth about some key events. Also explains why he blew his top about the 'Welcome To Manchester' poster, because it held them up to ridicule publicly. And the media are generally complicit in this. Where are the critical stories about them refusing to release attendance figures? Someone like Charles Sale at The Mail would normally be all over this sort of thing.

So if part of their PR strategy is talking us down, as well as talking themselves up, then a complicit media will help them do that.

I think the Rags force season ticket holders of whom there are about 55000 to buy tickets for cup competitions therefore they will count those 55000 and another 5000 of sales. So even if only 30000 turned up Utd will report the crowd as the 60000 sold. Most clubs do the same in terms of reporting the crowd but usually the difference is small as not many other clubs force buying tickets for all comps
They were taken to court over that and, as a compromise, were forced to exclude the League Cup from that scheme. Fans can opt out of it so the attendance for LC games will generally be closer to reality.

Somethhing I have always wondered is how many of the football media are City fans? I know Lee Dixon and Quinn, cant think of anyone else right now?

Quinn is a Sunderland fan. Souness' missus supports City so if he's not nice about us he doesn't get any, one of the SSN presenters is a blue, a couple of the ESPN lads as well. Can't wait until Given and Dunny get into punditry over here tbh.

Quinn is a Sunderland fan. Souness' missus supports City so if he's not nice about us he doesn't get any, one of the SSN presenters is a blue, a couple of the ESPN lads as well. Can't wait until Given and Dunny get into punditry over here tbh.

Mike Wedderburn is a blue on SSN.

Somethhing I have always wondered is how many of the football media are City fans? I know Lee Dixon and Quinn, cant think of anyone else right now?

Quinn is one of a few pundits that actually played for us, but never ever has anything positive to say. Danny Mills, Steve McManaman and Dietar Hamann another few who somehow have been left frustrated with us or just following media-orders. Lee Dixon is a Cityfan and never played for us. That's why we don't see him anymore I guess.

Dixon grew up as a City fan and his father was on our books. Says he still has a soft spot for us, though his long-standing and successful playing association with Arsenal probably means that they have first place in his affections these days.

I know he's currently assistant manager at Lancaster City so will be limited in the number of punditry gigs he can take, but hasn't Trevor Sinclair been on MotD and one or two other things recently? If he does well and ends up taking on more punditry work, he might be our best bet, being both a boyhood fan and former player.

Andy Hinchliffe seems to work on Football League matches for Sky - don't know if he has any hope of being promoted in the future. Not sure what his childhood allegiance was, either, but, for several years before joining the club as a YTS trainee, played in City-affiliated boys' sides alongside Lake, White and the others from the class of '86.

Of journalists on national titles, the Sunday Mirror's Manchester-based Simon Mullock is a Blue. And Jack Pitt-Brooke of the Indy is, as well - when he was at university, he used to produce the excellent but now defunct City blog 'The Lonesome Death of Roy Carroll'.

Lee Dixon left the BBC to go and work with Adrian Childs who's one of his mates at ITV. Childs got kicked out and they've now got hardly any football so I think he does most of his work for NBC, his missus is from LA and I think he fancies moving over there on a permanent basis at some stage. Not sure if he's still doing it this year but he was 'mentoring' the Arsenal full back who's on loan at West Ham last season. City are definitely his second team these days after Arsenal, Joe Royle tried to use the City connection to get him to sign for us but it would have been a hell of a step down at the time. I'd be more than happy to see Sinclair and/or Andy Hinchcliffe covering our games, both of them talk a fair bit of sense without being blinkered one way or the other.

Lee Dixon left the BBC to go and work with Adrian Childs who's one of his mates at ITV. Childs got kicked out and they've now got hardly any football so I think he does most of his work for NBC, his missus is from LA and I think he fancies moving over there on a permanent basis at some stage. Not sure if he's still doing it this year but he was 'mentoring' the Arsenal full back who's on loan at West Ham last season. City are definitely his second team these days after Arsenal, Joe Royle tried to use the City connection to get him to sign for us but it would have been a hell of a step down at the time. I'd be more than happy to see Sinclair and/or Andy Hinchcliffe covering our games, both of them talk a fair bit of sense without being blinkered one way or the other.

Rumour was Dixon left the BBC because he'd reached the end of his rope with Alan Shearer and his constant interruptions in order to say something inane and unintelligent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.