Media Discussion - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll not forget when on punditry duty about ten years ago, Martinez said (paraphrased), "The linesmen did well not to flag there", as Villa scored an offside goal to beat us 3-2 at their place. Such is the level of even-handedness he applies to us.

One of my pet hates is former professional footballers placing themselves on a pedestal by claiming only they can see and understand certain aspects of football. It's nonsense. We have been football fans all our lives. We have watched hundreds, maybe thousands of games. We know the laws, often better than the players. We don't need the likes of him condescending to tell us what we clearly know for ourselves.

If it was so simple, why does the panel of former professional players often disagree on contentious VAR decisions, or pundits have different opinions on summary shows.
The creeping "real football people know that isn't a handball, foul etc" line that has become popular recently is a fucking nonsense. Forget fans, the idea that FIFA and UEFA aren't comprised of a bunch of stakeholders, all of whom don't understand football as well Jamie fucking Carragher, is so silly. As for the handball, they've been given in every era: if you tackle or lunge with your arms up in the air that move towards the ball you're asking the ref to make a decision.

The creeping "real football people know that isn't a handball, foul etc" line that has become popular recently is a fucking nonsense. Forget fans, the idea that FIFA and UEFA aren't comprised of a bunch of stakeholders, all of whom don't understand football as well Jamie fucking Carragher, is so silly. As for the handball, they've been given in every era: if you tackle or lunge with your arms up in the air that move towards the ball you're asking the ref to make a decision.
“Real football people” like those who Stuart Pearce referred to when we went half a season without scoring a goal at home, “real football people” could see what he was trying to achieve, only none football people thought it was shite….

The fume over citys penalty last night (blatent penalty) got me thinking. Wheres this conspiricy about officials and VAR favouring city come from? Obviously never seen some of the decisions thats gone against us or for there team they support

Bury ?
Are you talking about the sad demise of the Shakers and the Neville Brothers sitting on their hands, doing nothing to save them ?
Hope Salford FC (return to their Amber kit), eventually get relegated and the new Bury team get back in the League...
It’s funny for all the faux sadness by the ugly sisters when Bury went bust not one of our craven media had the balls to ask why they hadn’t thrown in a few quid to help save them. Ugly sister 2 sold his mansion for about £5m a few years back so they aren’t short of a Bob or two.

They were a lot less likely to be given in the eighties or nineties, Onana would probably have got away with it then. Thing is back then, everyone was saying too many were classed as ball to hand and not a deliberate act so these “football people” were clamouring for ones like that to be given back then. It’s all swings and roundabouts.

This, I can't actually comprehend how it winds so many up. Stop looking at it. Just focus on watching and enjoying city.
You’re all obviously right. It’s been like this for years but I was so proud of our performance last night and that was the first review of the game I read.

Then again maybe that journalist knows more about football than Pep.

Football journalism has a toolbox of article templates or tropes and journalists basically just apply the one they think fits best.

It's not all the journalists' fault, you have to remember that they have to submit these match reports on the full time whistle, which means they mostly get written at half time and then edited during the second half as things happen.

There is no way for a football journalist to write a considered match report, so they just churn out chum for people who can't or didn't watch the game and need to fill time on their commutes the next morning.

At this point if you're getting annoyed by it, it's your own fault for caring what a match report says.
Yeah I know but come on, it was a great performance by us and it is annoying when we don’t get the credit we deserve, isn’t it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.