Media Discussion - 2023/24

Commentary is an art form , the greatest ever cricket commentator was Richie Benaud, the guy often did not speak for minutes on end he simply let the action do the talking.

Football is a game of opinions and so it should be, I don't need a sad , bitter ex pro telling me how good a player, team or manager is, I will make my own mind up thank you.
Cricket is a completely different standard of commentary? Players all go up to appeal lbw. On field commentator has seen it once. How many times do you hear "reckon it pitched outside" or "think that's going over". They watch the game and are aware of the rules. They put football commentators to shame

Commentary is an art form , the greatest ever cricket commentator was Richie Benaud, the guy often did not speak for minutes on end he simply let the action do the talking.

Football is a game of opinions and so it should be, I don't need a sad , bitter ex pro telling me how good a player, team or manager is, I will make my own mind up thank you.
Exactly this. The current so called pundits seem to think they have to prattle on all match giving out old & meaningless statistics - & talking to each other (don’t they Fletch!). Drives me mad. They don’t commentate on the game because they’re not quick enough to ad-lib & need notes to read from. Without notes they look utterly stupid - see camel gob about V Junior.

Most of the match I keep wishing they’d just shut the f up because they add nothing to the experience

It amazes me that on his topic on here on which I am sadly banned from replying, people are annoyed that he does not support us more in the media because he wore our shirt for a short time.

WTF, I thought the idea of a pundit was to give neutral and honest views from an ex players prospective.

The clown does nothing but laugh and make stereotypical soundbites that add nothing to any conversation.

It probably is, but sadly we have to hear ex Liverpool and United captains and players talk without a shred of honesty or neutral viewpoints. I imagine then people hope that an ex player, our youngest ever captain, a club ambassador might defend us a bit. He sadly just agrees with anything that is being said in the studio. Terrible pundit.

It probably is, but sadly we have to hear ex Liverpool and United captains and players talk without a shred of honesty or neutral viewpoints. I imagine then people hope that an ex player, our youngest ever captain, a club ambassador might defend us a bit. He sadly just agrees with anything that is being said in the studio. Terrible pundit.
And they lose any credibility when they do.

Keane the pundit I do have time for, he in a majority of cases says it like it is but he has vendettas which is an issue, Ferguson and Haaland to name just two, that is preventing him from becoming a top pundit.

Tbf, The Saint was in there to provide a balance for Greaves's ott buffoonery. I met ISJ when he did some broadcast work for SIS who supplied live racing and data to betting shops. He was a really good guy who had a word for anyone who stopped to talk to him, unfortunately the same can't be said for Greaves, great footballer, not a nice human.
Ha, you should try Monty Don!

As a teenage cricket fan during the school holidays I was pretty much glued to the TV to watch the England Test Matches, Ritchie Benaud opened one day with:

Good morning
It's a lovely day for cricket
And if you haven't got a ticket
You're not getting in

No waffle, just told it as it was, I agree the greatest ever Cricket Commentator and probably the best Sports Commentator there's been in my lifetime, I also enjoyed listening to Peter Alliss on the golf.
He made me fall in love with cricket, the guy was an outstanding player, an even better commentator and an even better gentleman.

As a kid I chased him all over Old Trafford ( the real one) finally one day I caught up with him and got him to sign a cricket bat, "sure thing mate", still got it and cherish it today.

He made me fall in love with cricket, the guy was an outstanding player, an even better commentator and an even better gentleman.

As a kid I chased him all over Old Trafford ( the real one) finally one day I caught up with him and got him to sign a cricket bat, "sure thing mate", still got it and cherish it today.
He used to play golf very early in the mornings before commenting on the Test Cricket, someone may put me right here but I think when the games were at OT (as you say the real one) he played at Stockport GC, must have teed off around 5am!

He used to play golf very early in the mornings before commenting on the Test Cricket, someone may put me right here but I think when the games were at OT (as you say the real one) he played at Stockport GC, must have teed off around 5am!
Maybe i'm talking out of my arse but didn't he have a home Glossop way.edge of the peak district. i'm sure i read it somewhere back in the day.

Maybe i'm talking out of my arse but didn't he have a home Glossop way.edge of the peak district. i'm sure i read it somewhere back in the day.
In 1967, he married his second wife, Daphne Surfleet, who had worked for the English cricket writer E. W. Swanton. Benaud and Daphne often stayed at their holiday home in Beaulieu-sur-Mer on the French Riviera. On 29 October 2008, Benaud's mother, Irene, died, aged 104.

Never heard any mention of Glossop.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.