Media Discussion - 2023/24

I didn’t think Phil was that bad at all, doing a lot of fetching and carrying, playing the simple ball, keeping possession. When you have a right back playing at left back behind you, a striker who doesn’t touch the ball for the whole first half ( yes, OK, he’s not unused to that) and another not very good right back playing in some kind of midfield position where even he doesn’t have a clue what he’s meant to be doing, you’re not going to get a lot of space to work in, and when you do find a pocket of space nobody is quick witted enough to get the ball to you, especially Saint Jude who will always prefer to perform a miracle on his own.

And did Shearer really not hear himself saying how unimportant it was that Kane wasn’t involved at all when week after week Haaland is berated on MOTD for only getting five times as many touches as Kane managed? And his one chance was a brilliant save rather than “he has to score from there”. Perhaps I’m just being over sensitive

The media should be asking themselves, how does Trent this, Trent that get anywhere near an international level midfield? He isn't good enough to play right back at that level either. My main school of thought behind it is that since Littlewoods was formed, there has to be a LFcult operative playing for England. The list or useless twats is never ending. Tront, Henderson, Matip, Thompson, Barnes (yes less than 60 mins of a good game in 80 odd caps) Neal, Smith, Johnson, Lee, Jones, Gomez, Solanke, Clyne, Shelvey, Lambert, Ruddock, Kirkland and Andy fucking Carroll. Quite incredible really.

I didn’t think Phil was that bad at all, doing a lot of fetching and carrying, playing the simple ball, keeping possession. When you have a right back playing at left back behind you, a striker who doesn’t touch the ball for the whole first half ( yes, OK, he’s not unused to that) and another not very good right back playing in some kind of midfield position where even he doesn’t have a clue what he’s meant to be doing, you’re not going to get a lot of space to work in, and when you do find a pocket of space nobody is quick witted enough to get the ball to you, especially Saint Jude who will always prefer to perform a miracle on his own.

And did Shearer really not hear himself saying how unimportant it was that Kane wasn’t involved at all when week after week Haaland is berated on MOTD for only getting five times as many touches as Kane managed? And his one chance was a brilliant save rather than “he has to score from there”. Perhaps I’m just being over sensitive
Not sensitivity, N, but sensibility. The RDAHMeedya have different narratives for the likes of Kane and Haaland, and the shirt colour often provides the reason. Watch the England women and every touch from the likes of Toone is lauded to the roof of the stand. The second she balloons one into the stand there's not a word of criticism. Same with Russo. When Keira played for us every misplaced pass was a cause for verbal vilification.

Yeah that comment from shearer was a wtf one.
It was a decent 1st half performance by most of the team, and then the 2nd half was like watching united, hit and hoof … presumably the ideal tactics for mainoo to come on and watch the ball fly over his head.

Stones was still rusty I thought , but ok.
Walker fine.
Foden just not got enough intelligently coached footballers around him to showcase his talents, and was chopped down constantly.

I think I got my pre-match assessment of taa spot on. Ie why bother.
Saka with Walker (iirc) supplying the perfect pass to allow the cross for the goal was better than I expected.
That perfect pass was entirely unmentioned in the live commentary, and yet it was the best part of the goal move.

No wonder Shearer never made it as a manager. He is a dinosaur and has the most weird views about the game.

It's really shit. After fawning over Phil's performance over the season, they turn against him the first opportunity they get. They must have the football knowledge to see that he is surrounded by players that for whatever reason are not passing to him. He is demanding the ball, in space, and it gets to him maybe 10% of the times it should. Nobody can play well in those circumstances.

Shunt Saka onto the left and see how he gets on with a right footed left back coming inside and not creating any space for him. During the hatchet job in Foden by the BBC last night Ferdinand had to get in how great Paul Scholes was at adapting. Then Mica Richards shut him down highlighting that he never did it for England.

I had a feeling Southgate would try playing three right backs in the same team but surely he wouldn’t be daft enough to try it. Bloody hell I was wrong. They can’t keep that system going next game, Foden will be the casualty of it all and will probably end up on the bench.
3 right backs, 3 centre backs and 1 left back in the starting eleven. A #8 playing as a #10, a #10 playing as a #11 & a #9 who thinks he's a #10. Add in a keeper whose mental acuity and lack of calmness when the ball is anywhere near his vicinity make Grobelaar look like a sane alternative then what could possibly go wrong.

I see it's not only the English press that utterly stupid. One French paper gave John Stones 3 out of 10 for last nights performance.
I’m guessing that’s L’Quipe. They have a deliberate policy of creating headlines with scathing performance ratings that are rarely a reflection of the actual game.
In respect of Foden, it’s probably time he got on the phone with Paul Scholes and asked his advice on how you deal with being played out of position for your country by a manager who is not fit to lace the boots of your club manager. Hopefully Scholes would just say “tell them to do one”!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.