Media Discussion - 2023/24

I'm convinced that there are commercial reasons behind many of the seemingly inexplicable decisions surrounding the England team and squad. Every one of us knew, the day Mainoo made his debut for united that he was going to the Euros. Every one of us knew that Arnold would be shoehorned into the side despite being neither a good full back nor a good midfield player. Somewhere, there is financial method in this seeming madness involving Southgate the FA, sponsors, senior FA officials and agents. Something is deeply wrong.

In fairness, Southgate only played Trent for about 30 mins in the World Cup in Qatar, so clearly he's not that bothered about having to play him.

Obviously he has given him a go in midfield yesterday, and there are plenty of arguments you can make about whether he should continue with that or try Gallagher, Wharton etc.

But if hes prepared to try things like that out, I don't get why you wouldn't try Bellingham a bit further back and give Phil a go centrally. Bellingham, like him or not, is a brilliant player and if Southgate wasn't so concerned with being overly defensive, he could try and give England a bit more of an attacking mentality and play Palmer/Saka - Foden - Gordon behind Kane

Club football will always be No1 in England and thank the lord it is.
There's 1 outstanding reason Club football is No 1 - because internationally we aren't good enough.
I suspect we'll squeak to the semis again, lord knows how with the manager we have, but that'll be it.
We've had one good manager since 66 - Sir Bobby Robson.

In fairness, Southgate only played Trent for about 30 mins in the World Cup in Qatar, so clearly he's not that bothered about having to play him.

Obviously he has given him a go in midfield yesterday, and there are plenty of arguments you can make about whether he should continue with that or try Gallagher, Wharton etc.

But if hes prepared to try things like that out, I don't get why you wouldn't try Bellingham a bit further back and give Phil a go centrally. Bellingham, like him or not, is a brilliant player and if Southgate wasn't so concerned with being overly defensive, he could try and give England a bit more of an attacking mentality and play Palmer/Saka - Foden - Gordon behind Kane
Yes play Gordon on the left Foden behind Kane and Rice Bellingham behind. Bellingham box to box

That's not a bad shout as a side to go through the tournament with. But you hit the nail on the head.....Southgate is too defensive and too cautious. You look at Spain and Germany from the sides that have played so far and they are light years ahead of us in terms of how their team is set up tactically.

There's 1 outstanding reason Club football is No 1 - because internationally we aren't good enough.
I suspect we'll squeak to the semis again, lord knows how with the manager we have, but that'll be it.
Venables was pretty decent as well but then he upset the blazers at the FA and they quickly got shut of him.

Nowadays no manager at his peak will touch international management.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.