Media Discussion - 2023/24

Wasn't Joe undefeated as England manager?

No. He won three, drew three and lost one in his brief reign as manager. The defeat was 2-0 at Hampden Park against Scotland just before the Scots headed off for the 1974 World Cup finals in West Germany.

In fairness, Southgate only played Trent for about 30 mins in the World Cup in Qatar, so clearly he's not that bothered about having to play him.

Obviously he has given him a go in midfield yesterday, and there are plenty of arguments you can make about whether he should continue with that or try Gallagher, Wharton etc.

But if hes prepared to try things like that out, I don't get why you wouldn't try Bellingham a bit further back and give Phil a go centrally. Bellingham, like him or not, is a brilliant player and if Southgate wasn't so concerned with being overly defensive, he could try and give England a bit more of an attacking mentality and play Palmer/Saka - Foden - Gordon behind Kane

I guess we'll have to see what he does next match.

Shame Slovenia is the 3rd match rather than the 2nd, as it would presumably be the easier one. Against Denmark, he may go for a more solid defensive midfielder to play with Rice.

Winning the group is important, as the runners-up probably play Germany. Winning the group gets a 3rd place side.

We sacked him and for nearly 20 years we've ridiculed him... might be something to do with that

Quite legitimately by the way
We also allowed him to extend his career with us and gave him his first serious management opportunity. We take the mickey out of him, but as you say, more than legitimately. That season still pains me now. His reaction (or total lack of one) after we finally won the CL says it all about him and City.

I guess we'll have to see what he does next match.

Shame Slovenia is the 3rd match rather than the 2nd, as it would presumably be the easier one. Against Denmark, he may go for a more solid defensive midfielder to play with Rice.

Winning the group is important, as the runners-up probably play Germany. Winning the group gets a 3rd place side.

Yeah, end up going defensive of sorts against Denmark, squeak a win, and then rest a load of players for Slovenia to give them all some game time rather than sort out his attacking issue with the forward line

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.