Media Discussion - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a bit confused what sportswashing is supposed to mean nowadays.

I can't recall a time when football supporters didn't slag off journos that criticised their clubs.

Didn't matter who owned the club and where they are from. And it often didn't matter whether the criticism of club was legitimate or not.

So when a Liverpool or Arsenal supporter slags off a journo that's just could old fashioned passion, but if you have an owner from a certain part of the world it becomes something more sinister?

Maybe the reason the likes of Harris, Delaney etc cop it so much from blues is because of the incessant nature of criticism they make of the club and often the supporters themselves. To be honest, I'm surprised they haven't copped more.

Last edited:
An interesting read but he references Delaney, Schindler, the Guardian and the Independent to support and underpin his findings. The academic article lacks balance and credibility as it fails to offer and present virtually any opposing, alternative viewpoint or argument. Which it should. Whoever wrote it will probably have received a B as a mark and he or she will be happy enough with that. However, it didn’t highlight or articulate anything that wasn’t already known and therefore doesn’t add to ‘the body of knowledge’.
I would have marked it a B minus at best.
B for Bollocks, not Balance

Well he hasn't been paying attention. I got as far as time-barring then gave up.
Yes . No reference to the positive commentary im the CAS judgement.
Also.fumny how no other aspect.of dealing with Abu Dhabi/UAE is ever in need of justification, boxng, golf, horse racing let alone selling them arms etc. Only ciry finishing above their favourites is a problem.

A logical thought, everyone would imagine ?
However, since City started dominating English football (starting around 2016 ?), the media stated to realise that we could really dominate and "own" the Premier League. This was against the wishes of the Premier League under Scudamore.
Not sure when "sports washing" was generally adopted by the press, but this mysterious Arab-centric phrase seemed to transform City into the "enemy" which denied fair competition.
The "open and democratically" American-owned clubs obviously were seen as the correct type of owners by primarily, Sky and subsequently BT.
Individually, rival football fans generally admire City and their legends e.g. Aquero, Kompany, David Silva.
However, the current media do not want one dominant club. This is different to Liverpool's era as the top team, or even the initial Sky years when MUFC won many Premier League titles.
They cannot slag off Pep or (generally) the players performances and behaviour.
So the UAE owners are the evil enemy, which will be amplified if Newcastle really threaten the Red Shirts.
Ask the Red Shirt fans if they would accept a Qatari takeover ?
I would imagine most would no in public, but say yes, privately...

Drive past the march hare in Cheadle hulme, one of the cunts on the road had a flagpole with a rag badge and the qatari flag flying together

Very poor research with no academic merit whatsoever. Clearly researched and written with the authors' political and sporting bias embedded in order to reach pre-determined conclusion. You can tell that from words such as "concerning" which tells the reader that the researchers already have a view on the opinions expressed.

It surprises me that the authors have not disclosed any conflict of interest. That strikes me as intellectually dishonest and disqualifies it from serious consideration.
I agree with those opinions.
In addition they refer to Abu Dhabi from the outset as 'sportswashers' insinuating that our owners fall into some category identified by the author.
If you use the fact that the original term was penned by human rights supporters groups. Visit Amnestys Web site you can see that every world country is allocated a score based on a multitude of socio economic factors used to give a score on a sliding scale. The fact the USA scores very very marginally better on that scale than AD is telling or hgat Saudi Arabia scores considerably worse. Yet AD is grouped with SA as the 'sportswashers'. More people were put to death in the USA than AD in several of the preceeding years yet nowhere can you find reference to the good ol USA ownership of sports franchises as 'oppressive' or that they fall into the sportswashing group.
I'm well aware that AD is an emirate in which Islam is the country's faith and that the laws and common practices of that country (UAE) are perceived in other countries in some instances as draconian or misogynistic, anti-western etc. I don't agree that the western world can impose any form of idealistic behaviour or viewpoints to justify their own theocratic ideals on such countries. Its THEIR business.
One can only ask that whilst operating in our country they obey our laws and conform to our moral standards and follow our ideals as a minimum. Someone tell me of any instance where our owners have not.

"In the thread on the 2019 FA Cup final, for instance, MCFC's finances act as a structuring absence for users."

WHY WOULD PEOPLE DISCUSS A COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT TOPIC???

Have these people ever watched a sporting event or even spoke to another human being. Do they not understand the forum has more than one thread.

The overwhelming bulk of the content of the paper is saying that any praise towards the club or Pep (strangely singled out many times) is actually praise towards the treatment of citizens of Abu Dhabi.

That is nonsense. You are not morally responsible for what people you give money to do. I don't support child labour by shopping at Primark, I don't support pouring oil into the ocean when filling up my car with petrol and I don't support suppressing human rights because I support City.

The truth is the vast majority of users on here don't care who the owners are. If we were sold to someone deemed morally acceptable tomorrow, people wouldn't be grieving. We only care that the best happens to MCFC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.