Media Discussion - 2023/24

Over two seasons yes, but we stuttered in each position the following year when we lost each Star. I d disagree on your point.

I think the power of our squad depth kept us sound along with Peps magic.
I agree with the main point that we've lost star players but still done really well.
However, Gundo was hugely influential in many ways (as were others too) and well have to see how the window pans out. Certainly, if we lose 4 or 5 important players it's going to be something of a transition season.
What I do hope is that Grealish and Foden can really take games by the scruff of the neck but that does depend on where they play to some extent.
I marvelled at the video of Gundo's goals, what a great mixture

In what way?
when FIFA found out that TC had no Irish in him, they tightened the regulations to Grandparents born in Ireland only, not just an Irish passport and clamped down on it hard, meaning lads who may have been brought up with strong Irish roots missed out

Where as before TC FIFA didn't regulate it so tightly, I know personally lads who missed out by one generation, where as previously they would have been ok

Pep has already started to play Phil inside. It is time he was given the opportunity to develop, establish himself and realise his potential..

Gundo's first two years were underwhelming until he transformed into Mr Whippy. He will be remembered as a City great but Pep and co are looking ahead and age is not on Gundo's side. The move to Barca will prolong his playing career in a pleasant environment, add to his pension fund and add to his experience of playing in another major league should he decide to move into coaching/management.
I’d suggest that what you say is the plan for Foden. We know he loves Foden for his football and following the acquisition and integration of Grealish the there had to be a different plan for Phil.

when FIFA found out that TC had no Irish in him, they tightened the regulations to Grandparents born in Ireland only, not just an Irish passport and clamped down on it hard, meaning lads who may have been brought up with strong Irish roots missed out

Where as before TC FIFA didn't regulate it so tightly, I know personally lads who missed out by one generation, where as previously they would have been ok

I’m guessing you’re talking about people from Northern Ireland, which kind of makes it a unique situation. And this probably isn’t the thread to get into the complexities of that.

But I think generally speaking, Ireland aside, if you haven’t got yourself, either parent or any of four grandparents born in a country, it’s fair to interpret that as not really having a claim.

I’m guessing you’re talking about people from Northern Ireland, which kind of makes it a unique situation. And this probably isn’t the thread to get into the complexities of that.

But I think generally speaking, Ireland aside, if you haven’t got yourself, either parent or any of four grandparents born in a country, it’s fair to interpret that as not really having a claim.
Republic I'm talking about and they changed it so you have to have a grand parent born in EIRE
Where as previous to TC you would have got away with a grand parent born in the UK but with an Irish passport, it's cost Eire players due to TC blagging and I would have thought many a decent player now ineligible

Republic I'm talking about and they changed it so you have to have a grand parent born in EIRE
Where as previous to TC you would have got away with a grand parent born in the UK but with an Irish passport, it's cost Eire players due to TC blagging and I would have thought many a decent player now ineligible

I know you were talking about playing for the Republic of Ireland. But I guessed that you were talking about British people in Northern Ireland who considered themselves more Irish than British.

But if you’re talking about English people with zero parents or grandparents born in Ireland, I’m struggling for sympathy to be honest. You’re effectively looking at going back to great grandparents otherwise. They’ve got to draw the line somewhere.

But anyway, I get what you’re saying at least. But we’ll probably have to disagree on this one.

Apologies for a long post, I sent the following complaint to the BBC on 20th June, mainly regarding the failure of the BBC article on the Hillsborough shirt to be identified as a United shirt, but also a consistent, "pro United" bias from the BBC. Their reply was received today.

My complaint, (20/6):
"As an institution the BBC consistently reports on Manchester United in a favourable and biased way compared to all other football clubs. For instance the second leading news headline on the football supporter wearing the number 97 and the words "not enough" an offensive reference to the Hillsborough disaster, the BBC failed to point out the supporter was actually wearing a "Manchester United top", references were made to the incident occurring at the match between Manchester City and United, but the vital fact it was a United shirt was deliberately omitted. Readers of the news article were left in the dark who's shirt the offensive fan was wearing.

Both Simon Stone in his article on Manchester City’s Chairman's address and Dan Roan in his coverage of the City treble winning parade lead with negative references about PL charges, although as yet they are unproven. The actual football achievement was secondary.

Several articles are written about Manchester United looking to sign Kane, Rice and others this summer although they are more likely to be at other clubs.

The football sports gossip section on transfers consistently leads with fantasy 'fan boy' stories about Manchester United, while other clubs such as Manchester City are written about in a consistently negative way, invariably focusing on who's leaving the club rather than new arrivals.

Perhaps the consistent biased coverage in favour of Manchester United has a subconscious element, but more likely there is a large number of Manchester United fans in the BBC that find it very difficult to report news in a fair and independent manner."

The BBC reply (27/6):
"Thank you for contacting us about the BBC Sport website.

With regards to the article titled 'Man pleads guilty over 'abhorrent' Hillsborough shirt at FA Cup final', this has since been edited and the following statement is included in our reporting: 'A man has admitted wearing a Manchester United football shirt at Wembley Stadium which made an offensive reference to the Hillsborough disaster.' A Manchester United spokesman is also referenced in the body of the article.

Whilst we appreciate you may continue to have concerns about our reporting on stories relating to Manchester United, we can assure you our coverage isn't indicative of bias. The BBC never takes a position on any story we cover.

Nevertheless, we do value your feedback about this. All complaints are sent to senior management and we’ve included your points in our overnight report.

These reports are among the most widely read sources of feedback in the company and ensures that your concerns have been seen by the right people quickly. This helps inform their decisions about current and future content."

Frankly it's disgraceful the facts were omitted in the first place. This was the second most widely read BBC news article of that day. Correcting a later version was not going to inform the ignorant masses who read it, and maybe wrongly believed it was a City fan wearing the offensive shirt.

We all know how biased the BBC are in their coverage, let's keep calling them out!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.