Media Thread 2017/18

Status
Not open for further replies.
See at least that is meaningful action and something I would support. There is some rubbish reporting out there, about us, and it should be challenged. We note it about City because its our club and we recognise the inaccuracies. But undoubtedly it happens to other clubs also.
You are probably right that other fans notice it too. I think majority of fans wish for and deserve balanced reporting.

The initiative should demand fair and balanced reporting and not "for or against" reporting.

Currently, in my view and possibly some others too, the following are the reasons for the reporting standards as they are:

1) reporting exactly what people want to see i.e. Click bait reporting (in journalist's view).

It can be said that is clever and good for journalist's careers however it's not "journalism" which can be defined as something that is fact and can be evidenced. Rather, it's reporting on populism where they only report what people want to see (again in journalist's view).

2) reporting based on limited knowledge and qualification, in other words, idiotic reporting (journalists who do not understand the profession and the professional requirements for reporting, fact and evidence is an integral part of requirements).

3) reporting (intentionally) as 1) or 2) above to promote a hidden agenda. It’s very easy to mix with idiots and claim the prize. Some journalists know that they want to promote a certain narrative but they can’t do it so clearly therefore they either do it under the banner of “Click bait” reporting or “Idiotic reporting”.

4) Opportunists who try and associate with successful organisations by promoting them without rewards now but in the hope that it will reward them in longer term.

I doubt any journalist would mind being called an idiot as long as they have a career in it. Comedians, rock stars, celebrities or big brother celebrities etc don’t mind coming across as Lunatics because it’s what gives them a livelihood. I doubt many of them behave like lunatics in their normal life.

The 3) is where people are trying to hurt the club intentionally, and although, some would call it bias, other’s injustice, cheating, clickbait, incompetence, unfairness but they all result in one collective outcome for the club, a negative overall image. This results in the following:

- Fans from predominantly English speaking countries are put off by the negativity (the narrative of repeat lies long enough and people will believe).

- Sponsors whose targets are fans from English speaking countries are put off by the negativity.

- Commercial sponsorships and advertising income does not increase as it should in the short to medium term (Nike shirt deal for example). Most of the sponsorship income in reality comes from sponsors in English speaking countries.

Last night, someone posted “Coppack” was recruited by BBC from United. It would not be a surprise to anyone if he was still on the payroll of United or did freelance work for united and therefore promoted them through BBC in a subtle way. Similarly, it would not be a surprise if many other journalists did freelance work (earned money in brown envelopes) and promoted united in the media at every opportunity.

Similar things happen in politics whereby people pay money to throw dirt at their opponents to gain an advantage in the short term and this is what we are seeing in the media.

I mentioned campaign but let’s call it initiative, sounds better and that is what it is. Campaigns are run nowadays to gain an advantage mainly, but this initiative is to “demand” balanced reporting and actual journalism with facts and evidence.

I believe there are two things fans should understand here:

a) Being part of the initiative, what you would be doing is “doing your bit” for the club. By that I mean, you will be improving the perception of the club in the mainstream and improving their chances of better sponsorship deals, allowing the clubs to sign even better players and improving the facilities even further (not a fan of pies myself but may be the club can improve the standard of food or availability of the drinks at half time). Bear in mind, the club may achieve these goals even without fans initiative or contribution but it may take the club slightly longer to do it on their own. So you will still be doing your bit to help the achieve things quicker.

b) A campaign may be ridiculed by the media but the narrative of the initiative, not campaign, is to demand balanced reporting. Firstly, ridiculing a set of few supporters is easy but ridiculing a set of thousands or supporters or even hundreds of thousands of supporters who are only demanding “balanced reporting” is not that easy. It can make the person doing the ridiculing come across as fools.

The biggest challenge in my view for this initiative is the “tribalism” in football and therefore getting support from other rival but reasonable fans will be difficult but important.

At the same time, some people may even decide this initiative is not going to get anywhere because it is against a very powerful media and they do not want to be associated with a platform which is ridiculed therefore, the most important part of this initiative would be to gather as much support across multiple platforms and fan bases and have think skin to endure the ridicule that will come it’s way.

Finally, I am sure some serious discussions among fans on one platform can find ways which will be successful in dealing with appalling reporting standards in this country.

I am not going to apologize for any language, grammatical or punctuation errors in my post, because it’s irrelevant to the subject matter of the post. But I hope people do find a couple of minutes to read the post and see if they would like to be part of this initiative.

Any campaign would just be met with ridicule and the reporting of us would get worse.

If the club took action, by banning journos, like many have suggested, then the situation would get worse too, it would be open season on the club from the media.

The only way to stop this is by growing our fanbase, the way to do that is by winning consistently, if they carry on with the negative portrayal then they will be hit in the pocket, then and only then will it stop.

But don't you think that the potential growth of our fanbase is being hindered by the long term negative reporting on the club? Because I certainly do. Two PL titles, an FA Cup and 2 League Cups in the last 7 seasons and we still get disrespected and shat on by the media.

But don't you think that the potential growth of our fanbase is being hindered by the long term negative reporting on the club? Because I certainly do.

Of course it is but it's beyond our control for the most part, like I said the only way of gaining that control is by winning and attracting fans that way.

The reason Baconface was able to get away with banning journalists is because they needed the rags more than the rags needed them.

Any campaign would just be met with ridicule and the reporting of us would get worse.

If the club took action, by banning journos, like many have suggested, then the situation would get worse too, it would be open season on the club from the media.

The only way to stop this is by growing our fanbase, the way to do that is by winning consistently, if they carry on with the negative portrayal then they will be hit in the pocket, then and only then will it stop.
I appreciate the concern and understand it fully. But someone will ridicule you, that's not a reason enough to "not do something right". You need thick skin for sure to endure it, but if you think you can last long enough to endure the ridicule, you will eventually win. It may come across as a selection of words but i can say it from many experiences in business and life in general.

I appreciate the concern and understand it fully. But someone will ridicule you, that's not a reason enough to "not do something right". You need thick skin for sure to endure it, but if you think you can last long enough to endure the ridicule, you will eventually win. It may come across as a selection of words but i can say it from many experiences in business and life in general.

I get what you're saying but I believe for any fan campaign to be successful it would need sympathy from the wider football audience. As long as we're the subject of ridicule that sympathy is highly unlikely, the opposite is more likely the case.

I get what you're saying but I believe for any fan campaign to be successful it would need sympathy from the wider football audience. As long as we're the subject of ridicule that sympathy is highly unlikely, the opposite is more likely the case.
Hence the initiative would be for balanced reporting for everyone, not just city. Nor "for or against anyone", just balanced reporting for everyone.

I would also say, don't sound defeated even before you run on the pitch, give it a go and you never know, you may win.

That 'response' tweet to the original 2nd-7th place table tweet is just as bad - patronising in the extreme.
Never thought I'd say it but going to start actively avoiding BBC football website & social media now. Shame really, cos the likes of united supporter Mark Chpman do a decent job, but he's the only one I can think of

Such a hollow excuse. If that were the case why start the graphic from second downwards?
Unfortunately, this is becoming a deliberate ploy to provoke a reaction from us and it is working.

isn't it to show where Arsenal are in relation to the largest points total they can show in a 6 team template?

God there are some right cryarses on this thread.

Embarrassing that some of you are grown adults believing there is an actual media conspiracy against us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.