Media Thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
I try and avoid getting too involved in the 'agenda' discussion but, quite by accident, we ended up watching a Sky documentary type programme last night called 'Outraged'. It's about racism/discrimination/homophobia in football and was fronted by Paul Pogba. They talked to Tyrone Mings regarding the Bulgaria match and the abuse both he and Raheem received that night. They pretty much opened the programme with footage of the incident with Fred at The Etihad, repeated it half way through and then rolled it out again at the end. No background narrative came with it, just the footage, repeated three times which, despite my personal abhorrence of any form of discrimination, I thought created a poor and unbalanced picture of our club given our commitment to both women's football, the LBGT community and our long history of racial inclusion on and off the pitch. I'm sure we're not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but it really did come across as grossly unfair.
Actually thought that program was quite good and was surprised at how well Lovren and Pogba came across. We should own that fred incident, it happened.

Actually thought that program was quite good and was surprised at how well Lovren and Pogba came across. We should own that fred incident, it happened.
I've no problem with the club 'owning' that incident and I also thought the programme was ok and that both Pogba and Lovren spoke well. However, I still thought repeating the Fred incident was unnecessary.

Paul merson Liverpool says "you're cheque is in the post".
Thanks for your column

Thought it was 1st offence negates everything there after
I think what they are trying to explain or use as an excuse is that you can stand in an offside position at a free kick and you will only be flagged for offside if you touch or make an attempt at the ball.
So what they saying is even though maguire is in an offside position he doesn't become offside until he heads it. So in there thoughts the potential foul has come before the offside

It will never change until VAR is used properly, and by senior staff to the referee, who can overrule when a decision is wrong and be seen as assisting (clue in the name) the referee and not undermining them. Clear and obvious or not.
I would prefer it to be foreign referees, our refs get paid a load and we should try and attract the best from all over the world. Ours are shite cheats

Last edited:
I think what they are trying to explain or use as an excuse is that you can stand in an offside position at a free kick and you will only be flagged for offside if you touch or make an attempt at the ball.
So what they saying is even though maguire is in an offside position he doesn't become offside until he heads it. So in there thoughts the potential foul has come before the offside
It's still a stupid interpretation as there's no guarantee he gets fouled if he's not offside especially in an 'impeding' situation. Imo the framers when writing that meant it to occur in violent conduct or excessive/ dangerous force situations, ie if you twat someone you're going off whether they're onside or offside, so Pickford would have been sent off earlier in the season and Everton would have had a free out for the offside.

Edit re the first paragraph, you'll also be offside if you impede a player trying to play the ball or block the keepers line of vision, Maguire was guilty of the first.

It's still a stupid interpretation as there's no guarantee he gets fouled if he's not offside especially in an 'impeding' situation. Imo the framers when writing that meant it to occur in violent conduct or excessive/ dangerous force situations, ie if you twat someone you're going off whether they're onside or offside, so Pickford would have been sent off earlier in the season and Everton would have had a free out for the offside.
That was my thought. If slabhead isn't in the offside position the defender doesn't have to make contact with a slight pull back
So being in the offside position is instigating the foul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.