Media Thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Breakfast did not have any sports bulletins at 0740 and 0840. It did manage to have Daft Dan taking the piss out of a Welsh Rugby fan in a trailer for the next programme and an over lengthy interview with the woman who won at Cheltenham. Silly Sally asked if she thought it would make more girls interested in horses. FFS.
It's getting so childish 'there will be no sports news today as one of our favoured teams lost and City keep winning'.
They didn't even pad it out with Rugby, Scottish football or such important women's football news that Bristol City drew and are off the bottom.
Did they not mention that the grass is still growing at the Swamp?

Someone on MOTD giggled at Kane winning his penalty. it was a penalty as there was contact, but Kane's absolutely ridiculous reaction needs to be called out. Not the fact that he went down, but his screaming and grabbing his leg. Fucking embarrassing but no one will ever call it out as they are all part of it.
Not even sure it was a penalty as the ball was running out of play.
Or has that rule changed ? for Kane?

Someone on MOTD giggled at Kane winning his penalty. it was a penalty as there was contact, but Kane's absolutely ridiculous reaction needs to be called out. Not the fact that he went down, but his screaming and grabbing his leg. Fucking embarrassing but no one will ever call it out as they are all part of it.
England fucking captain.

Totally Football podcast today, James Richardson telling me and everyone else how utterly depressing it will be if City win all the comps this year. Not a cause for celebrating a real wow moment in the history of the sport, of a truly special team/manager. And he wasn’t even saying it to be deliberately or outrageously provoking debate, he was being serious.
One of the guests tbf had the gall to gently point out that it was only earlier this season that the talk was of the wheels coming off at City when we were in 8th place. But nevertheless, a really disappointing take from Richardson from whom I (maybe foolishly) expected better.
Another pod where my listening is hanging by a thread.

Some time ago, I emailed The Independent about Michael Delaney’s continual racist comments about our owners and club. I’ve received the following response & would like any info I could include in my reply:

#- Please type your reply above this line -##
The Independent
Your request (115162) has been updated. To add additional comments, reply to this email.
Richard Best (The Independent)
Mar 17, 2021, 16:36 GMT
Dear CC1

Thank you for getting in touch with us about this. I am happy to investigate your complaint, as we would not condone any racism in our reporting.

Could you please tell me which article you are referring to, or give me an example or two of where you feel he has been racist, so that I might look into this further?
I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

Richard Best

this is the reply I got from The Independent customer service when I pursued the Miguel Delaney issue

Please type your reply above this line -##
The Independent
Your request (115162) has been updated. To add additional comments, reply to this email.
Mar 22, 2021, 14:53 GMT
Hi Chris

Thanks for getting back to me. I've read the article that you have referred me to, and I can't see anything racist in that one. It does to me seem to be a legitimate discussion of the effects of financial disparities within football, and the polarisation he sees occurring. Of course the FFP regulations are a part of that discussion, but I cannot see he has accused anybody of anything here. I do understand that not everybody would agree with or like his views, but of course that is allowed!

I think that it is difficult to be precise about where the individual begins and the state ends, when you are referring to the UAE and Sheikh Mansour, after all, he is the brother of the ruler of Abu Dhabi, and the model of government in that country is an absolute monarchy, which might well be argued to be an autocracy. Certainly it seems difficult to define where the state ends and the royal family begins, and so I think that the characterisation of the club as being owned by a state is one that would be one that could be reasonably held.

I've had a quick look at Mr Delaney's Twitter account, but he tweets many times a day and without a date of those tweets they will be difficult for me to find. If you would like to give me a screenshot of a tweet or a date to look at, then I will happily do so.

Also, if there are comments within other particular articles in relation to any other matters, I would be happy to look at them, but they would need to be specific complaints relating to individual articles in order for me to consider them, not a general impression of Mr Delaney's views on the football club.

Do come back to me, though, as I am happy to keep considering your views. I will leave this complaint open.

Best wishes,
Richard

this is the reply I got from The Independent customer service when I pursued the Miguel Delaney issue

Please type your reply above this line -##
The Independent
Mar 22, 2021, 14:53 GMT
Hi Chris

Thanks for getting back to me. I've read the article that you have referred me to, and I can't see anything racist in that one. It does to me seem to be a legitimate discussion of the effects of financial disparities within football, and the polarisation he sees occurring. Of course the FFP regulations are a part of that discussion, but I cannot see he has accused anybody of anything here. I do understand that not everybody would agree with or like his views, but of course that is allowed!

I think that it is difficult to be precise about where the individual begins and the state ends, when you are referring to the UAE and Sheikh Mansour, after all, he is the brother of the ruler of Abu Dhabi, and the model of government in that country is an absolute monarchy, which might well be argued to be an autocracy. Certainly it seems difficult to define where the state ends and the royal family begins, and so I think that the characterisation of the club as being owned by a state is one that would be one that could be reasonably held.

I've had a quick look at Mr Delaney's Twitter account, but he tweets many times a day and without a date of those tweets they will be difficult for me to find. If you would like to give me a screenshot of a tweet or a date to look at, then I will happily do so.

Also, if there are comments within other particular articles in relation to any other matters, I would be happy to look at them, but they would need to be specific complaints relating to individual articles in order for me to consider them, not a general impression of Mr Delaney's views on the football club.

Do come back to me, though, as I am happy to keep considering your views. I will leave this complaint open.

Best wishes,
Richard

I haven’t the background to pursue this but this was my initial response:

Oh dear

How you can disagree with FFP & the general documentation on the ownership of Man City, astounds me. No wonder you are happy to let MDelaney run wild. As was pointed out to me by a lawyer friend, it wasn’t down to me to root out articles by this journalist for you - after receiving my complaint. You should have investigated the matter by researching his articles and social media.

MCFC is not owned by a State - you have made a tenuous connection & it is incorrect. It is perfectly clear where individual begins and state ends The Sheik is allowed to have personal business interests and he does not rule Abu Dhabi. (Please ensure that your journalist also understands the different states in the UAE are independent & not affiliated in sovereignty)

He cannot pump money into the club because FFP oversees this aspect. Albeit the Spanish clubs seem to be able to benefit from state funding by way of tax benefits - which is never mentioned by MD

I am disappointed with your uneducated reply & will be publishing it.

Totally Football podcast today, James Richardson telling me and everyone else how utterly depressing it will be if City win all the comps this year. Not a cause for celebrating a real wow moment in the history of the sport, of a truly special team/manager. And he wasn’t even saying it to be deliberately or outrageously provoking debate, he was being serious.
One of the guests tbf had the gall to gently point out that it was only earlier this season that the talk was of the wheels coming off at City when we were in 8th place. But nevertheless, a really disappointing take from Richardson from whom I (maybe foolishly) expected better.
Another pod where my listening is hanging by a thread.
Bet he wouldn't say that if it was the scum or dippers potentially winning everything. Dickhead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.