Media Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can’t stand listening to the guff about City spouted by people who ought to know better.
The first time City breached FFP was made to seem worse as explained by PB years ago due to the criteria being altered (in the interests of natural justice and fairness…NOT) after previous assurances had been given, so the whole process immediately loses credibility.
They bang on about the CAS fine, again without the context (inappropriate and damaging press leaks) without mentioning the significant reduction made by CAS in the amount of the fine
FFP is the opposite of what it should be. As advocated by the howling mob the effect is that only the already rich clubs stand any real chance of success.
They are clever enough to tread a fine line between fact and libel (yes City were fined nudge nudge they are dodgy) when on any reasonable interpretation the CAS verdict showed up the shambolic nature of the UEFA process. Might it not be more interesting to examine the impartiality (or more accurately the lack of it) of the UEFA set up. They only get away with it in my view because it suits the usual media favourites. A lack of fair process doesn’t just affect City but all the non favoured clubs. Let’s hear a bit about that for a change…but don’t hold your breath.
It stinks that the innovation and evolution of the game since Pep came to City is continuously ignored, they would rather keep inferring it is only by in effect cheating that City are now a major force.
City have paid their dues for the first and only breach of FFP since which time they have complied with it to the extent that the highest tribunal in sport found NO EVIDENCE of any breach despite rumourmongering and doctored stolen emails.
Either the media are too thick to realise this, or they choose to ignore it. Either way their opinions are of no value whatsoever.

Never understood why people listen to something they hate!
I've listened to Talkshite once or twice, probably no longer than 1 hour in total and I didn't get on with it at all. I was a fairly regular listener of 5 Live up until a couple of years ago, but it started to get on my tits (mainly Sutton & Savage on 606, but the whole station are also very much anti-city, pro red shite) so I've binned that off also.

Now I mainly listen to podcasts and local radio, or CD/Vinyl in the house.

For match commentary I'll listen to the Matchday App commentary (usually Alistair Mann). It's surprisingly fair and balanced.

I've listened to Talkshite once or twice, probably no longer than 1 hour in total and I didn't get on with it at all. I was a fairly regular listener of 5 Live up until a couple of years ago, but it started to get on my tits (mainly Sutton & Savage on 606, but the whole station are also very much anti-city, pro red shite) so I've binned that off also.

Now I mainly listen to podcasts and local radio, or CD/Vinyl in the house.

For match commentary I'll listen to the Matchday App commentary (usually Alistair Mann). It's surprisingly fair and balanced.
Agreed. The media coverage of football in this country is truly dreadful. Football is reported through a LFC/MUFC filter and is trapped in the 1990s. I stopped listening to Talksport a couple of years back because I just can't stand its "laddish banter" culture. It seems very old-fashioned to me (and I am 63) and provides no insight into the sport I love.
The UK audience is very badly served. For example Radio 5 live was supposed to be 24/7 sport and news channel with lots of audience (phone-in) content. It has morphed into a London-centric politics-dominated channel with virtually no football coverage (apart from some match commentaries).
Football has become the world's largest sport (especially the PL) but the amount of airtime it gets on the BBC is similar to what we had in the 60s and 70s, in fact much less broadcast coverage when you consider TV programmes like Grandstand etc. The shite quality of BBC coverage is epitomised by someone like Dan Roan. He is apparently the Head of BBC Sport but his content (broadcast and online) is dominated by the politics of sport and he never breaks any pure sport stories. Everything is politicised and reported with a bias.

I can’t stand listening to the guff about City spouted by people who ought to know better.
The first time City breached FFP was made to seem worse as explained by PB years ago due to the criteria being altered (in the interests of natural justice and fairness…NOT) after previous assurances had been given, so the whole process immediately loses credibility.
They bang on about the CAS fine, again without the context (inappropriate and damaging press leaks) without mentioning the significant reduction made by CAS in the amount of the fine
FFP is the opposite of what it should be. As advocated by the howling mob the effect is that only the already rich clubs stand any real chance of success.
They are clever enough to tread a fine line between fact and libel (yes City were fined nudge nudge they are dodgy) when on any reasonable interpretation the CAS verdict showed up the shambolic nature of the UEFA process. Might it not be more interesting to examine the impartiality (or more accurately the lack of it) of the UEFA set up. They only get away with it in my view because it suits the usual media favourites. A lack of fair process doesn’t just affect City but all the non favoured clubs. Let’s hear a bit about that for a change…but don’t hold your breath.
It stinks that the innovation and evolution of the game since Pep came to City is continuously ignored, they would rather keep inferring it is only by in effect cheating that City are now a major force.
City have paid their dues for the first and only breach of FFP since which time they have complied with it to the extent that the highest tribunal in sport found NO EVIDENCE of any breach despite rumourmongering and doctored stolen emails.
Either the media are too thick to realise this, or they choose to ignore it. Either way their opinions are of no value whatsoever.
Until they factor in debt, which almost brought even Barca to their knees recently, then FFP or its successor will always be meaningless

Agreed. The media coverage of football in this country is truly dreadful. Football is reported through a LFC/MUFC filter and is trapped in the 1990s. I stopped listening to Talksport a couple of years back because I just can't stand its "laddish banter" culture. It seems very old-fashioned to me (and I am 63) and provides no insight into the sport I love.
The UK audience is very badly served. For example Radio 5 live was supposed to be 24/7 sport and news channel with lots of audience (phone-in) content. It has morphed into a London-centric politics-dominated channel with virtually no football coverage (apart from some match commentaries).
Football has become the world's largest sport (especially the PL) but the amount of airtime it gets on the BBC is similar to what we had in the 60s and 70s, in fact much less broadcast coverage when you consider TV programmes like Grandstand etc. The shite quality of BBC coverage is epitomised by someone like Dan Roan. He is apparently the Head of BBC Sport but his content (broadcast and online) is dominated by the politics of sport and he never breaks any pure sport stories. Everything is politicised and reported with a bias.

Good post.... look at MOTD - what a tired, condescending pile of nonsense that is - the pinnacle of the BBC's football coverage and we are treated to Gary Lineker's dad jokes, Alan Shearer's bile and Danny Murphy's (complete lack of) intellect WTF. You only have to watch CNN or France 24 to see just how dated and poor the BBC's News coverage actually is and their Sport is little better. And don't get me started on the BBC Sport website....

Caught a couple of minutes of Jordan spewing his bile this morning while sat in traffic. Oh fuck off I said as I switched to FM..... straight into a GB News ad voiced by his equally awful girlfriend, the one who looks like someone has stuck a pair of specs on a blowup doll..... and you can fuck off an all.... Off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.