Media Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember they thought they were being cheated by the secure containers.
An early example of victim hood
My dad was a hgv driver for 50 plus years starting in the 1960s and would often tell us about the 'dockers union tax' he and other drivers would have to pay when collecting loads out of Seaforth docks. The price increased significantly when containers were introduced as the dockers were no longer able to help themselves to goods transported in less safe methods previously used.

It's already started, and Haaland's signing hasn't been announced yet by any party involved in the possible transfer.

The Daily United/Liverpool.

Imagine the headline and amount of positive articles if Haaland was signing for United or Liverpool. The f*cking Rag Fanzine wouldn't have mentioned what the bitter Dortmund fans are saying

Jacob Ranson. Who the f*ck is he? Is he related to Ray Ranson?

Screenshot-20220419-121354-2.png

I read this guy regularly. He's one of the fairer journalists out there - think he's a Spurs fan so he doesn't really have a dog in the fight for the old Top Four.

This is a pretty obvious piece to write, though it has some factual errors, and I understand why he's done it. It's not really anything I'm going to get upset about.

I will say though that his image of who matchgoing City fans are, is pretty warped. He was "surprised" that we rejected the Super League so heavily despite us booing UEFA for a decade in part because of their cartel affirming actions. But he's not the only one who suffers with this affliction - listens to too many kids on Twitter and not enough long term fans.

My dad was a hgv driver for 50 plus years starting in the 1960s and would often tell us about the 'dockers union tax' he and other drivers would have to pay when collecting loads out of Seaforth docks. The price increased significantly when containers were introduced as the dockers were no longer able to help themselves to goods transported in less safe methods previously used.
I remember reading the book 'A Pair of Jesus Boots' when I was at school. It's a about a 13 year old kid from a broken family growing up in Liverpool in the 1960's. Explains an awful lot about the 'culture' surrounding the docks.

My dad was a hgv driver for 50 plus years starting in the 1960s and would often tell us about the 'dockers union tax' he and other ddrivers would have to pay when collecting loads out of Seaforth docks. The price increased significantly when containers were introduced as the dockers were no longer able to help themselves to goods transported in less safe methods previously used.
Completely different but reminds me of the drivers of undertakers vehicles in the 70s were
and given 50p by the office manager when they were sent to hospitals to collect bodies. The 50p was like the tax you mention and was given to mortuary staff.
Money was also given to people who recommended the funeral firm, quite often police officers.

I remember reading the book 'A Pair of Jesus Boots' when I was at school. It's a about a 13 year old kid from a broken family growing up in Liverpool in the 1960's. Explains an awful lot about the 'culture' surrounding the docks.
Just looked that book up. Looks an interesting read might download on my kindle. I once asked my dad what happened if you refused to pay the dockers tax, he laughed and said you didn't as the transport company you drove for would be banned from entering Seaforth. He said this arrangement persisted until the mid 1990s when the bigger shipping companies complained to the port authority and the problem seemed to disappear.

Just looked that book up. Looks an interesting read might download on my kindle. I once asked my dad what happened if you refused to pay the dockers tax, he laughed and said you didn't as the transport company you drove for would be banned from entering Seaforth. He said this arrangement persisted until the mid 1990s when the bigger shipping companies complained to the port authority and the problem seemed to disappear.
Corruption to the highest levels of management. No surprise it was allowed to go on with Murkyside Constabulary's attitude to investigating crime.

Completely different but reminds me of the drivers of undertakers vehicles in the 70s were
and given 50p by the office manager when they were sent to hospitals to collect bodies. The 50p was like the tax you mention and was given to mortuary staff.
Money was also given to people who recommended the funeral firm, quite often police officers.
Wouldn't surprise me given my experience of the Police. My dad did alot of hgv work on the continent in the 70s and 80s before the collapse of the iron curtain. The company he drove for would provide him with a crate of malt whisky as back then in places like east Germany, Poland and the old Ussr freight wagons would be stuck at borders for days whilst they cleared customs and Visa checks. The offer of a bottle of quality whisky to the right customs/ border official would mean a fast track clearance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.