Media Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some blood pressures on here might be soothed by reading the BBC article in full, where it gives several paragraphs over to quotes from Jason Wilcox, including the bit where the kid was offered 9 trials.

Then they have amended it because I read the bbc version first and later the telegraph's (see previous posts)
It is sad but having given him an excellent education and tried to sort out trials what more could the club do.
As I say I am sure the bbc have added to their original piece.
The article definitely has been updated later in the day, it had no mention of trials and there was a short quote from Jason Wilcox and not the quotes as now fully detailed, club had probably been in touch with them to update the additional information.

Why don't we ask a journalist?

@tolmie's hairdoo chances that the club would be contacted for comment on this story by the BBC or any of the other outlets running it?

The way the story is written originally in the Mail, I'd be very surprised if they did.

A) It wouldn't serve their purpose, having chosen to cherry-pick the line from the hearing which shows City in a bad light.

B) The fact they have used the least amount of quotes from Jason Wilcox which even then, contradicts both the father and the colour Herbert has chosen to use on his negative hit job.

C) The story originates entirely from the hearing, so Herbert and others can merely ignore putting it on City for fear of watering down the piece.

D) City absolutely detest Herbert and find him a very odd character with a particular fondness for painting the actual club executive in a bad light, however tenuous.

E) A recent example of another Daily Mail smear was the wanker Mike Keegan writing we had called Bennell to the stand as our witness to defend the private civil suit, despite it being our insurers and the league who had done so, without getting clarification from City until 24 hours later.

The Mail are also the paper who got their lawyers involved to be allowed to attend the closed hearing with the Premier League and City over FFP disputes.

They just don't like the club.

Last edited:
The article definitely has been updated later in the day, it had no mention of trials and there was a short quote from Jason Wilcox and not the quotes as now fully detailed, club had probably been in touch with them to update the additional information.
Thank you I was sure I was right and as I posted earlier Sky still running it as though City didn't bother trying to set up trials whereas it was the lad and his family that refused.
It is a sad story but when pond life bbc/journos use it to have a go at City it us even worse

Why don't we ask a journalist?

@tolmie's hairdoo chances that the club would be contacted for comment on this story by the BBC or any of the other outlets running it?
It's irrelevant what Tolmie might think. The point I was making is that we, as fans, should support our team and the club, and give them the benefit of the doubt. We shouldn't criticise the club based on an assumed negative perspective. There are plenty of fans of other clubs doing this, and lots of media outlets already happy to paint the club in an unfavorable light.

Further, why do the media need to contact the club when one of our top men was at the inquest and gave a full explanation.
It is the disgusting way this evidence has been reported that annoys me. The evidence, as reported in the Daily Telegraph was that the club set up trials 9 different clubs but the parents and the lad refused these. They thought that getting an agent was more important The bbc initially reported (later changed) and Sky are still running with, none of these 9 trials materialised. That makes it sound like the offers from City were not genuine which is a disgusting way for a journalist to report the hearing.
I think most if the coverage is a straight up report of the inquest hearing. It is therefore covered by legal privilege no matter what allegations are thrown around

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.