Media Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in no position to comment on the case of this young man. It's very sad and what I am about to say is not aimed at him or his family but it is related, in general, to kids who are involved with professional clubs.

Two of my nephews (from two different families), one aged 11 the other aged 12 are obsessed with playing football. They must train three or four times a week and then play for a local club at the weekend. They have gone for trials at various professional clubs and in some cases, been awarded spots on their training program. The parents ferry them from one place to another. The kids sometimes getting home late at night during the week, parents give up overtime and opportunities to go spend time with family and friends etc.. Whenever I speak to their parents, the first thing they talk about is what their children are doing in terms of football. I don't hear anything about how the kids are getting on in terms of school, what the family have been up to and how the non-footballer kids are getting on. All birthday and Christmas presents have to be football related. In their company, often in front of the kids, they give the impression their kids have some unique, God-given talent and that they have a good chance of making it as a top professional footballer. The parents are pretty much obsessed with their kids football careers.

I doubt these parents are unique in their attitudes. When these kids are told they are not good enough by clubs, you have to think that is a massive come down for them with the amount of effort they and their parents have put into it. In many instances, some will think they are worthless and failures, as well feeling guilty because of the effort their parents put in. No person should feel that way, especially those too young to deal with it effectively.

While clubs have a duty of care and should manage the expectations of those who join academies, the parents are, at the very least, equally responsible as they should be enabling their kids to manage their own mental health (e.g. building resilience) and provide them with support.

Last edited:
This is a misunderstanding. The broadcasters can hear the conversation between referee and VAR, they can't speak to them.

Someone's gotten confused in how Dixon has phrased it, thinking Dixon means he, Lee Dixon, asked instead of he, the VAR asked.

Or he's talking about the broadcasters sending queries to Stockley Park after the fact to clear up decisions. They can ask them what the reasoning was, if an incident was looked at etc. Which is how we get situations like the one where Stockley Park admitted it was a mistake for Coote to not send off Lo Celso in a match last season before the match ended.

Of course.
Glad someone stopped what would have been a bluemoon runaway train.

The problem is that the great unwashed hordes will only read the headline and draw up an assumption based on that.
Whilst the headline is not incorrect it could and should have been phrased differently but we live in the age of clicks.
This just about sums it all up, a carefully worded headline to do the damage, how many haters will read the full article and risk having their anti City ammunition turn out to be blanks. Lets be honest, thats what these type of headlines are, ammunition to be fired at us by faux outraged rags and dippers eager to vent their hatred toward us.

I have had many an argument with fans of other clubs about shit written or displayed as this article is,which is why I like to read this thread as you often know where their shit has come from.

These media outlets know the value of the written word and make full use of it for their paymasters, even when the subject matter is as sad and tragic as this.

The cynic in me cant help but think that someone has been bending the poor fathers ear as to who/what might be to blame, but I hope his family can find the closure they need.

Some blood pressures on here might be soothed by reading the BBC article in full, where it gives several paragraphs over to quotes from Jason Wilcox, including the bit where the kid was offered 9 trials.
Then they have amended it because I read the bbc version first and later the telegraph's (see previous posts)
It is sad but having given him an excellent education and tried to sort out trials what more could the club do.
As I say I am sure the bbc have added to their original piece.

This is one of the dumbest things I've seen written on here for a while.

They get sent to a top class independent school so that they have a decent education to fall back on if football doesn't pan out, at a cost of £24,000 per year - £164,000 worth of education if they go through to 18.

Crucially that education is guaranteed through to 18 even if you're released.

They get insane wages. Liverpool capped theirs at £40k a year for under 17's, and they lost out on players because of it. Ours and most of the top 6 are higher.

And the clubs do try to find a landing spot in football for them. As Jeremy Wisten's father said, they bundle up all the footage, make highlight reels and send it off to clubs to try and get takers, leading to nine different trials.

They also have access to psychiatrists throughout their time at the club, and the best medical care you can get to cover injuries and surgeries to try and get them back on the pitch.

Modern Slavery? Please.
Sounds a lot like that Colin Kaepernik fella claiming the NFL draft is like slavery.

Insane claims.

This is one of the dumbest things I've seen written on here for a while.

They get sent to a top class independent school so that they have a decent education to fall back on if football doesn't pan out, at a cost of £24,000 per year - £164,000 worth of education if they go through to 18.

Crucially that education is guaranteed through to 18 even if you're released.

They get insane wages. Liverpool capped theirs at £40k a year for under 17's, and they lost out on players because of it. Ours and most of the top 6 are higher.

And the clubs do try to find a landing spot in football for them. As Jeremy Wisten's father said, they bundle up all the footage, make highlight reels and send it off to clubs to try and get takers, leading to nine different trials.

They also have access to psychiatrists throughout their time at the club, and the best medical care you can get to cover injuries and surgeries to try and get them back on the pitch.

Modern Slavery? Please.
When I worked for the Training & Enterprise Council (South & East Cheshire TEC) I was the Training Adviser (Education) to all the Trainees at Crewe Alex, who had to work towards an A Level or an NVQ once they reached the age of 16,which also included day release to a College (Stoke).
I regularly went to the PFA in Manchester (Education Department) and had a great rapport with one of their Directors.The PFA are the ones who are responsible for the education of all young players and I know they`ve been crap at some things, moreso from that Taylor who was an arsehole for the way he didn`t work as well as he should have for his Members (all professional footballers) but thats just my opinion.
But on the Education side I couldn`t fault them and this also included feedback from the Crewe Alex lads who felt they were very well treated on this side of their way to hopefully making it.
Very few do, hence the Education side from all clubs, in order to help them into other areas of work should they fail to become a professional footballer.
Have to agree with you ref the silly remarks "slavery". FFS.

EXCEPTIONAL TALENT’

Tragic ex-Man Utd trialist, 20, killed himself after being plagued by injuries​

funny the BBC are not blaming united

EXCEPTIONAL TALENT’

Tragic ex-Man Utd trialist, 20, killed himself after being plagued by injuries​

funny the BBC are not blaming united

Well it's not really surprising, the United kid's parent didn't stand up at a hearing and say the club didn't support him, and the player thought the club didn't support him.

It's the club being accused of failing Jeremy Wisten that's the news story today. The death was already covered when it happened months ago, the news today is about the testimony of the parent.

The failing here is that the club, who would surely have been reached for comment, didn't reply with a statement about how devastated they are about the loss, but outlining everything the club does for our academy players to support them, before stating like Wilcox did, that they'll investigate to see if they could do more in the future.

If I, as a fan, know enough to write that they get a full education guaranteed to make sure they've got something to fall back on, they get taught about mental health and have access to therapists, the club does reach out to secure them trials at other clubs so they can land somewhere etc. then someone at the club should be able to package that up, add stuff we don't know about, and then present it in a way that's compassionate to comprehensively refute those claims, without being overly defensive or attacking the grieving parent.

And if the club had given a proper statement like that, the article would be very different and have a different headline.

Last edited:
Well remembered. Not the first time Halsey has exposed the cheats at PGMOL, but as before, nothing came of this. They are basically accused of cheating, but they just remain silent, and get away with it. Compare that to the situation in Germany, where the official who influenced match decisions was sacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.